Arturia Keystep : Questions

There is still no way to clear a sequence in one step. :roll_eyes:

Shift + BothOctaveButtons wipes the Pattern (whilst keeping the same length)

If you stop then start again, the pattern is implicitly wiped

I know what you mean, kinda, i half-made something to clear the pattern by uploading an empty pattern a while back - but i don’t mind just stopping and starting (even using rests) in step mode to get a new empty pattern of a set length - seems easier than messing about with midi uploads etc

my gripe is that there’s no way to turn off the pitchbend which will wreck a piano patch when you eventually brush against it accidentally - and more significantly, there’s no room to get my finger naturally to the top of the Mod ‘slider’ i always hit e.g. 120 max rather than 127 which is a pita if you assign pitch to it - there should be a way to set your own range - the lip at the top end of the slider just gets in the way too much - i’m close to taking a Dremel to the edge of it to chamfer it - but it’d be an easy software update

2 Likes

My personal feature request would be to be able to disable transport. I hate it when it starts my DN. But I could ask the same from Elektron I guess :wink:

2 Likes

I have just purchased an Arturia keystep

How do you guys power it without a computer?

with an adapter. I think it is 9V center positive. check the minimum amperes required…

1 Like

Yep. You can also plug it into a USB charger like those used for a phone. That’s what I do.

5 Likes

Ah that’s cool
Is the iphone one going to be fine?

Yes, an iPhone one works fine.

1 Like

Hey guyz, anyone had success using a sustain pedal with the Keystep? I got a M-Audio SP-2 sustain pedal and it appears to be sending on/off info but I can’t get it to work with the Keystep. I messed with the sustain parameters in the MIDI Control Center but no luck so far. :confused:

I’m trying to control my 0-Coast with this setup, could it be that the 0-Coast doesn’t recognize the sustain messages? I was under the impression that the sustain pedal was just keeping the keys virtually pressed in the Keystep itself, but there seem to be a lot of MIDI CC stuff going on according to the manual so maybe it’s more complex than that and depends on the synth you’re trying to control?

EDIT : Actually I think that’s normal, the pedal works with the arpeggiator on so it’s probably by design (either on the Keystep or the 0-Coast side)

Anyone using it with Octatrack? I´d like to avoid sending anything but notes, pitch bend, mod wheel, etc.

Did you filtered MIDI messages to avoid accidental muting and so?

I am using Keystep and OT in combo. I have connected everthing through a iConnectivity Mio4 - OT MIDI Autochannel is on 10
also have mapped AR, A4 and Micromonsta to seperate MIDI channels on OT (Autochannel only) that allows me to press on keystep SHIFT+KEY (white or black ones) (corresponding BLUE FONT) for MIDI channel.
so I can trigger the active track on my other devices using keystep.

have the Keystep in default settings to avoid confusion with configuration :slight_smile:
OT is MIDI Master

to play OT (chromatically I think) tracks using Keystep there was something to check in the settings on OT and also you will have to change the PITCH +2 octaves on keystep trigger “+” button to get the chromatically playable range.

I can check for you when I am at home.

Thanks, that´s what I´m doing with the OT, Keystep and Digitone. But sometimes I push the wrong key and the OT selected track changes to the next and that kind of things.

there you go:

on OT MK2 - PROJECT – MIDI – CONTROL
here are my working settings:

when you have selected the correct MIDI channel on OT press on Keystep “Oct+” twice
it should blink faster as pressed once.
on the Keystep I have made markers where the scale for OT starts

I don’t know if you can disable this function using Autochannel.

see here:

Mapping for OT:

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thanks, I´ll take a look to those threads!

1 Like

To Keystep owners, will this work:

DAW = master clock, sends clock over USB MIDI

Keystep receives clock, Sequences MIDI hardware synthesizer via MIDI out connection.

Keystep also sends clock/sync to Korg SQ-1 (SQ-1 would sequence filter cutoff of the same synth)

I haven’t actually tried the Sync out option myself, but this should work fine.

This should work
Ensure that you have Set the Midi Port OUT to “THRU Option” using the Software Editor.

1 Like

Has anyone had any issues with the Keystep sending high pitched noise when syncing a pocket operator? I’ve already contacted Arturia about it and haven’t had much luck other than them suggesting I try a different power supply or cable. Doesn’t seem like it’s the cable since it works fine without the keystep being involved. I’ve done this setup in the past and had no issues, so trying to figure it out. Think something is messed up in the Keystep? Should I try a TS cable instead of the Teenage Engineering TRS?

Here is a video showing the issue:
Keystep Sync Noise

Is it possible to edit the sequencer for each midi channel individually? And if so, can you do it live while the sequencer is running?

Example: having four separate sequences running on midi channel 1-4, and then edit ch 4, leaving ch 1-3 sequences intact?