Octatrack/keystep/anaolg four question

hey I know versions of this question have been posted already but I didn’t find one that exactly addressed my issue.
I’m using the OT and A4 and trying to bring my keystep into the chain so I can play chords on the analog four while still using my octrack as the brain.
my current set up is just midi out if OT to midi in of A4 and midi out of A4 to midi in of OT.
my issue is that when I have the keystep midi into Octatrack it seems to be sending midi CC info along with the note info so weird things are happening to my project while I’m playing notes. also I want to keep the A4 midi out going back into OT.
I have the MIDI SOLUTIONS Quadra thru box but it only has one midi in (and four outs) so I don’t think that helps.

so my question is how can I use a midi keyboard for my A4 while painting my current set up???

yes you can.

on the keystep +2 octaves when you wanna play the OT
it will only work in chromatic mode

attached a picture from where you can start playing with +2 octaves:

this is also “works as designed”
you are able to control the OT via MIDI from any keyboard some where here in forum is a list with all notes which will trigger something on OT

found the correct settings:

ok awesome I will def try this out today. safari as my routing. if I want the A4 to still send midi info to the OT, where in the chain would I have the KEYstep?

if I am correct the OT is the only device which can send out data via MIDI OUT when signal comes from MIDI IN

(someone here should double-check that please)

the chain would be - KS --> A4 IN --> A4 OUT --> OT IN
but as I mentioned you won’t be able to play OT so in my opionion this is not possible without splitter

EDIT:
just thinking around using a splitter to accomplish your needs:
KS --> (splitter) OT IN --> OT OUT --> A4 IN
A4 OUT --> (splitter) OT IN

so you can play both devices via KS and send MIDI to OT

Connect KS MIDI Out to OT MIDI In, OT MIDI Out to AF MIDI In.

Use the Autochannel feature on the OT to route the MIDI messages from the KS to the active track on the OT.

Use the Autochannel feature on the AF to route the MIDI messages from an OT MIDI sequencer track to the active track on the AF.

Why do you want to send MIDI from the AF to the OT? That serves no apparent purpose in your setup and is probably the cause of the problem you describe.

I do this so I can use LFO on OT to control CC messages on A4(although maybe I only need to do this during my initial set up) . also I find playing in melodies on the A4 keyboard easier than playing them on the OT keyboard . just because I’m used to looking at a slightly more “keyboardy” interface when playing notes.

but your right that once I sort out this keystep situation having midi into OT from A4 will be irrelevant.

1 Like

The KeyStep will greatly improve the playing aspect and should replace your use of the AF’s mini keyboard.

There is no particular use in connecting the AF MIDI Out to the OT MIDI In when trying to use an OT’s LFO to control the AF.

so I have my keystep going midi into OT. why out of curiosity are you limited on keyboard to where you can play? (as shown in your photo)

The OT’s audio tracks responds to MIDI notes in a 4-octave range by playing the sample at a different pitch. Other MIDI notes received perform different functions. See the MIDI appendix at the back of the OT’s manual.