Arpeggiator

Why assume it’s forgotten ? I strongly doubt that

You’re comparing a synth mode with a sequencer box

The arp can also be played live and it’s real easy to sequence a sole infinite trig and vary the arp notes using grid mode edits so you can fly hands free

They’re two different beasts, having a latching mode causes all sorts of conflicts for a sequencer that may be easy to workaround but why work around them … you just approach it in a different way

i don’t see this appearing on an OS update tbh but i’m not saying such a way of working isn’t useful - i just don’t agree it’s an omission and the ux won’t be compromised by layering on added secondary functionality

as for why the CC for sustain was overlooked i’m not so sure, again probably linked to messy interactions with the step sequencer way of recording

1 Like

But it isn’t actually advertised anywhere as a sequencer box is it. It’s advertised as a synth. And it’s a function that’s pretty much on all synths that have an arpegiator function.

Why assume it was overlooked? I strongly doubt that.

You mention the Arp being able to be played live, well yes you can do that but you would have to keep fingers on the notes you want in the Arp, which is counterintuitive and unusual for a synth. What if I’m playing with both hands? I can’t have my Arp sequence playing, and also use other functions on the synth, as when I take my hands of the mini keys, the Arp stops.

I get it. It’s how it works. It is what it is. but it’s unusual for a synth not to have this functionality and it’s something which I am sure most people would want to have.

1 Like

So let me get this straight. To get the arpeggiator to “latch” or be recorded to the sequencer we need to do the following:

1. Enter a note trig on that track
  2. Set that trigs note length to infinite
  3. Turn arp mode on

That’s the basics yes?

But this isn’t an arpeggio yet, it’s missing the rest of the notes from the chord. The remaining notes have to be manually entered in the arp menu “no2, no3 and no4”. The missing “no1” is the actual note trig we initially entered into the step sequencer.

Is this still all correct?

You don’t necessarily have to program them in, you can hold down all four notes and then push a sequencer trigger

1 Like

Hold Trig in step mode and then the chord to arp
Also recordable in realtime iirc, but may need editing of held length

3 Likes

So I really just have to hold down my Trig, enter the Chord. :slight_smile:Then note length to inf. Turn on arp

1 Like

Ah shucks. Yeah…that…:flushed:

1 Like

I’m sorry avantronica but I don’t understand your reply, ergh edit: I think I get ya

Hold down the trig button first, then-while holding the trig button down push the series of notes down at once.

If small beeps come out instead of arp bliss, it’s because the notes are automatically set for short lengths, so go to the notes page and slide that up to a longer time.

If you want legato for the arp, adjust the length there too. It took me longer to realize that than I care to admit

3 Likes

That arp is great. I was testing it out in comparison to this thread, and makes me really sad I can’t stay up and slip into the analog world because I gotta get to work in the morning :frowning:

2 Likes

When you get the hang of it, press fn and arp and prepare yourself for a whole new world of fun

Hm yes I have explored arp setup a bit, but I really really want to fully understand it I guess. I don’t understand the designers intention I suppose

Thank you gentlemen

2 Likes

Yeah, Elektron boxes are a bit daunting at first. I freaked out a few times before I got the hang of it. When I discovered what a p lock was I got so overwhelmed by all the possibilities that I stared at the synth from the other end of the room.

Elektron sells two main things with their machines: a focus on sound design and a workflow. A bit of a learning curve to get in the flow, but once you’re in it it becomes a preferred method, I feel

1 Like

That’s how I felt about trig conditions ha! Also that “entering all four notes at once” thing must be new because it didn’t work like that before I updated it :confused:

1 Like

Ha! Yeah, I can’t figure out an ideal way to use trig conditions on the A4. The Rytm it’s great though.

When I get a spare moment I want to make an entire song where every trig is set at 50% and just have chance bang it out

I’m trying to do a long arpeggiation throughout a track. I can do a hold, but it’s hard to get things in time with the sequencer that way — and I can’t figure out how to sequence this arp riff so that it plays continuously and smooth throughout, while in time with the other sequenced tracks. I’m hitting a brick wall — any help would be awesome and I will sing your praises to people you don’t know!

see above and elsewhere too - Arpeggiator

most questions have already been answered, best to develop ideas in existing threads where lots of users are already posting/notified

Hold Trig in step mode then dial in or play chord

2 Likes

On a techno dub track I already used trig conditions on the chords track… Some set with slow attack, other a bit like retrigs and linked together with PRE…
Very interesting !

Now I wish this had been recorded :slight_smile:

1 Like