AR as External Sequencer (sonuus g2m)?

Ciao,

Like most of you, I am frustrated that my AR can’t pilot/sequence my synths.
Along internet research, I found something “cheap” that may help:

http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

I would have to dedicate a track and an output but it seems like it is worth it!
Downside is that it doesn’t communicate anything else than midi note…

Have elektronauts ever tried that?
Really curious…

1 Like

Wow. That is really interesting! I really do wish the rytm could sequence midi. Just even using cv is annoying sometimes on the a4. I’d prefer midi sequencing. The octatrack can do though correct? (Not that I can get one of those anytime soon)

Yeah the octa is a 8 track external midi sequencer.

If it does work (and it’s a big if) sequencing with this thing is likely to be extremely limited. And you’ll have to sacrifice an AR voice. And you’ll be £55 poorer.

Why not spend £79 instead and get a beatstep, or sq-1 and get a dedicated little midi sequencer?

I have one of those and never thought to use it in this way, may have to try it out! I use it as intended and it’s super sweet hearing a synth played with a guitar.

1 Like

Beatstep/sq-1 would not memorize the sequence and would be stuck with a 16steps max length. Correct?

Not saying that the G2M is the perfect solution tho.
But it looks like an interesting alternative.

The guitar player in my band uses the sonus to drive a mopho desktop as an optional sound source (he puts an ab switch to switch from guitar signal to the mopho in his set up). It tracks single notes from the guitar quite well to convert to midi. I would assume a mono synth voice would be even more accurate.

1 Like

Also, It’s funny I never even thought to use it this way (I have a monomachine so don’t really need my analog keys to sequence). I will borrow it from my buddy and see how it does driven by one f the analog key voices.

I think external sequencing is the only real fault of elektron, not really sure why y’all care that much. there are iphone sequencers better than the elektron for external gear that are easier to use. when iphones give you a run for your money why bother???

I don’t have any of the Analog line, but they send midi clock/transport, right? As a workaround, you could use an iOS device and have your pick of midi sequencers to control your other gear…at least, I’m assuming this would work, but please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Gummi and Accent: you are right!
For those who can and don’t mind to use an iOS solution: go for it, it is better and more flexible!

This would be a nice alternative for minimal hardware configuration.
It is limited, sure, but some may find it useful.

Just gave this a try and it works, kind of. With that device you can only play single notes, no chords so it’s very limited. I managed to hammer out a beat using only kick and snare and left plenty of space btw the notes and recorded the midi in Logic and got it to play back.

1 Like

Nice. Thanks!
So basically that would work to sequence a monophonic synth from the AR.

1 Like

Ok. So I got a demo unit on sales, received it today and got to test it for 10 minutes during my lunch break.

I just put a C bass sample with no special set up on one track.
Plug the dedicated output to the Sonuus
Connected the MIDI Sonuus to my Shruthi.
…and it works apparently.

After this first test, it seems that you can pretty much sequence like a basic TB3 would: trig and note.

If you choose to keep the pilot track routed to the main audio, you can “layer” your sounds with the pilot sample ( but no chord please). Which means that by playing with the pitch of your synth, you can have interesting results.

This way I was able to have a pretty cool bassline (sample + my shruthi sound) sequenced by the AR. How cool is that?

1 Like

very cool!!

I think this is a great solution for Rytm, even when losing a voice, as you can dedicate that to a more complex, external voice.
Using this to sequence something like the Audiothingies P6 with its “chorder” functionality can really expand the Rytm if you’re trying to get the most out of it without adding another Elektron box. Considering how well Rytm does as a standalone, utilizing waveform chains for bass, this seems to be a great way to expand an already powerful instrument.

1 Like

You can also do pitch to midi with max for live…or pitch to cv if you have the right sound card. Then you can do slides, accents and so on.

Or you could plug the AR straight into the ESP on an MS20!

1 Like

I believe G2M can do slides, at least that’s what I saw in some old Namm videos with a guy playing a bass guitar kontakt library from a guitar.

that’s really cool my mate’s got one i’ll give it a shot…

for any Reaktor users I use this, I set it up on a send channel and just drop instruments i like into same ensemble

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/6305/

So it is a no go with CV output (until someone prove otherwise)
It understands only tonal info.

1 Like