Replacing Octatrack with Rytm

I had the SP404-SX few years back. So flexible, powerfull, easy and those pads are so f¤cking sensual !

Anyway. For me, it’s official now.

The Octatrack is out. The Analog Rytm is in.

I’m still using the Octatrack for actual sampling, because it’s so easy, dead quick and it has nifty midi sync features for that. It allows me to just jam and repeat until I get a section right.

But should I find a sampler that samples as well or better than the Octatrack, then I’m selling it. I’m not excluding software options here, if sampling directly into the computer is the way to go. I wouldn’t know, not using computers for music.

I’ve had good fun with the Octa though. I’ll remember it fondly and I know I’ll miss it from time to time.

word

I’ve been debating with myself on getting the rytm. I would keep both however! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have both and i am thinking about selling the Octa though im still not sure the Rytm can totally replace the Octa for me so i will probably keep it.

Wish it was possible to transfer samples on the Rytm without using C6.
Its slow and feel like 1990 again.

Sampling on the Octa is great and simple but sometime i think its a little overkill for me need. I use the Rytm for drum and percus so the Octa is mostly used in live situation where i dont want to bring everything on stage.

In the studio i dont see any use for the Octa because i dont mind using the computer with my external gears.

So Octa minus :
-I never use timestretching .
-The Octa FX are so so compared to their other machines, something i dont understand because the Octa would really benefit from good FX.
-File management … not so great.

Octa +
Can be used as a backing track machine (streaming from card)
Sampling on the fly is great.
Great sequencer.

There is Strom that can be used with the Rytm but im not sure about support in the future and i use the computer most of the time anyway cause with the ipad i need a sound card to sample external gears etc.

Interesting seeing how those who bought the AR after the Octatrack seem to not feel a use for the Octatrack anymore.

I bought the Rytm first, last May, since then I’ve picked up an A4, and recently last month, the Octatrack. I freaking love the OT! It is a deep machine and is intimidating at first, but after putting some hours into learning the machine, I have been pleasantly delighted by her abilities.

The OT now functions as the brain/hub of my set up, midi sequencing other gear, and sampling live hardware. I feel that the OT brings out the best in all my other machines. As much as I love the Analog Rytm, I’ve been thinking lately that I might love the Octatrack just as much!

Of course if I had to pick one, I would most likely pick the Rytm because of its ease of use and intuitive nature, but the Octatrack suits my needs as it acts as a hardware DAW.

I also love IDM and glitching/noise so the Octatrack’s mangling capabilities are right up my alley. I can’t fathom getting rid of either the AR or OT.

The OT is still one of the best pieces of gear I’ve ever owned. Ironically, for all it can do and for the far less feature-rich things the Rytm can do, I still prefer the Rytm. I don’t require much in terms of features, but I’m very specific, and the Rytm just happens to tick those boxes. For example:

Sound - The OT sounds great. The Rytm sounds spectacular.

Filters - The OT’s filters are average. The Rytm’s are great.

Performance - While the OT has its scenes and other stuff going on for it, the Rytm feels more like a tactile instrument to play with live.

Effects - The OT has plenty of them, most of them good. The Rytm has few, but they’re are top notch and as a consequence, always usable.

Chromatics - The OT has it. It’s okay. The Rytm has it. It’s a lot better. It suits my keyboard mind.

There’s so much you can do with the OT, it’s a lovely instrument and it’s unique in ways that the Rytm will never be. I’d like to see a fusion of the Rytm’s qualities in terms of interface and audio, with the OT:s take on structure and composing.

The two philosophies of those machines combined into one, would make for a legendary piece of gear.

And also most likely hurt sales for Elektron, since you’d have fewer reasons to own more than one of their boxes if this happened.

I just got an AR yesterday, so I’m still exploring it at the moment. I might have to upgrade Strom today and get that going on, but right now I’m just checking out what can be done with the factory samples.

I also have an OT, and I can’t see the AR replacing it - the OT just does so much else, it’s my cornerstone. Most of the time I’m using the OT instead of my mixer (another task for today is getting the OT, AR and A4 hooked up in an effective way). The effect options, static machines, MIDI control and LFOs make it a different machine entirely.

Having said that, I can definitely dig the simple power of the AR’s sampling features - there’s no messing around, just straight into old-school use-your-ears beatmaking… I had to decide between the AR and the MD-UW, and having the OT already tipped me towards the AR - but the sampling ability of the MD was a big point in its favour. Obviously it would be awesome if the AR had basic sampling built-in, but I anticipate the +drive will take a while to fill, and it has nice organisational features. So I’ll just be sending samples over to it as and when, and building up a library.

I also have an SP-404SX, and I don’t know how much use that’s going to get now. I can see a role for it alongside the AR and Strom - sample into the SP, apply a few FX in there, resample into Strom and send to the AR. A hassle compared to sampling directly into the AR, but it adds the SP’s charm and portability into the equation.

Anyway, the OT’s not going anywhere, but I’m looking forward to it complementing the AR via effects and scenes.

I think samples sound amazing through the filters of the Rytm!
… But the Octatrack is a wholly different beast to say the least. :alien:

Hey there.

My 404sx lay unused for a long while but recently it’s become the perfect tonal compliment to my AR. I sequence it via the OT - much better than the 404’s inbuilt sequencer!

So for what it’s worth, since I started this thread, I figured I should have something to show for it.

This is my first track made with Analog Rytm.

It’s just the Rytm, with my own samples from different gear, all routed from the Rytm through two Minifooger Drive pedals.

I believe I overdid the whole vintage recording thing. But I like it all the same.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Not sure if you guys saw the thread klerc started - AR as External Sequencer (sonuus g2m) ?

Turns out you can use a Sonuus G2M to send midi notes to external midi gear. It will cost you $70, and a Rytm voice. However, if it was a voice/track you were using to write bass on the Rytm, and can now sequence a Minitaur or Pulse 2 (or a Rytm sampled synth stab and now a Blofeld or P6), then it’s worth it.

Not earth-shattering but it does allow the Rytm to inch closer into a more complete solution.

And it’s made me think of other ways to utilize the voice outputs. Perhaps feeding trigger inputs to a Nord Drum 2 to layer Rytm synth and sample sounds (also routed to L/R outputs) with synthesized ND2 sounds. Rytm sends program change, so it would be a great way to beef your sound up into interesting territory, effectively adding a third layer (synth, sample, external).

Wow, thoroughly enjoyed this one - really really good melodic techno andreas! The AR sounds absolutely fabulous here.

Great track ! AR is next purchase on our list

Wow, thoroughly enjoyed this one - really really good melodic techno andreas! The AR sounds absolutely fabulous here.[/quote]
Thanks, it makes me happy you like it. Yes, the AR really is something else when put to the test. Once all samples are in there, it’s all you need to build something decent.

Great track ! AR is next purchase on our list [/quote]
Thanks. I was holding out for months before I pulled the trigger. Now, I wonder why I waited.

Has the 404 replaced the OT as a sampler for you now? I’m thinking of getting one instead of the OT, to get a different sound and a more direct tool for sampling. But I’m cautious. Now that I’ve learned the OT, it’s a very direct and quick instrument to get complex sounds from. It’s not just exactly the sound I’m looking for.

I never used the OT as a sampler - just as a sample playback machine and sequencer.

I never found its sonic mojo - I found its sound design mojo though…

For tone I’d take the 404sx any day :slight_smile:

But without immediately and on the fly start point and pitch controls, it’s a one trick pony.

you’re right, its sound doesnt have much “chops”, particularly as i have a S900 and SP808

it sounds like my Yam A3000, functional but loses something and doesnt impart anything special to make that up.

certainly doesnt help with all these AR & OT owners saying how much better the filters etc and general sound the AR has over it.

Sample Handling - when they finally arrived in the machine :slight_smile: - is quite intuitive on the Rytm. I like the part of “melting” samples together with the synth sounds to extend sonic capabilities beyond pure analog. Turns out it also works very well although missing EQs on the Rytm make it serious works when it not fits initially. Apart from the levels and using the filters you dont have very much more left to make both world “join” properly. But if it fits you arrive where you wanted to be very fast - with no hassle in setting stuff up. Thats good, definitely.

The Octatrack however is a completely different machine mate. Its sound design capabilities - thanks to all its effects and flexible machine routings - goes far beyond the Rytms capabilities. It is spontaneous, you can sample all the time and even if you dont do slicing and stuff it still helps a lot. Ever brought a sample through 8 tracks chained together with different effects on each? :slight_smile: Fine touching the sound until it fits and then instantly resample it to have it “burned” to disk for later use. Awesome!!! Also Sample Transfer works totally nice on the OT, because you can use the card directly, no need for C6. And its also a lot faster - especially when you have Loops and generally longer samples. Flipside is that you only have 8 tracks while the Rytm has 12. But on the other hand you have all of those 8 tracks at once all the time (apart from using T8 as Master) while on the Rytm different voice groups mute each other - even if you just use samples which is kinda weird, but its not so disturbing either.

Yeah i would definitely say that replacing one with each other is not possible due to their completely different nature. If you can live with samples only i would go for the OT, otherwise i would use the Rytm. Best is - obviously - having both :slight_smile: So the Rytm can do the drums and the OT samples the Rytm as well as other sources and can do more of the melodic stuff thanks to its different Sequencer Modes and the Slices and what not :slight_smile: