Apple WWDC 2023

If the performance of the Vision Pro is equivalent to a Varjo headset, hopefully we’ll start getting some additional development happening in the field of extended reality products. Here’s hoping, could be cool albeit horrifyingly dystopian!

This was very true in 2008.

1 Like

(with a two-year contract) is the key piece. AT&T ate some of the cost of the hardware (just like all carriers and phones were back in the day) to tie the consumer in a two year contract. The original point was that todays prices aren’t really 2-3x more than originally. The carriers are just selling them at retail price.

1 Like

Fore sure, it makes sense.

it’ll broaden the interest for the general public and might help psvr2 and quest 2 or whatever… i think some of the tech is overkill , but it is the device that others need to match… for a high end device at least.
in addition they have a good ecosystem and the largest phone audience which makes it easier to co-exist… (though i think much of it would need the monthly icould/apple games payments )…
if you can afford 3.5k i doubt small monthly payments is much of an issue.

Lex Fridman did an interview with Mark Zuckerberg post Apple’s launch, and he seems to think its a good thing and that Apple launching into the space is a validation of the work Meta have been doing. Until the Vision SE comes out from Apple, it will likely push the average consumer over to the more affordable Quest 3. Mark Zuckerberg: Future of AI at Meta, Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp | Lex Fridman Podcast #383 - YouTube

I wouldn’t take anything Lex Fridman says seriously, he’s a complete airhead

2 Likes

OT sorry, but any reason not to get the Minirig 3s?

Also bit annoying you need 2 for stereo, pushes the cost up!

Btw I know this is a shit solution but what about an inline volume knob?

@Laser OT minirig chat

I ended up returning them, they were too hissy and I didn’t feel they were worth £99 each. Bit peeved given the amount of glowing reviews they get, if they didn’t hiss, didn’t have Bluetooth, had a volume control, line in was not distorting, were stereo just by linking, and half the price I think I would have kept them. :laughing:

1 Like

My god that looks freakin brilliant! Definitely getting one :star_struck:

1 Like

600 was an astronomical price for a phone then too, even subsidized.
insert Steve Ballmer quote here

1 Like

…there’s no too woke in cuppertino…
…and from now on, everything is just a tap of ur fingers with a flick away…
…sexy as fuk…spooky as hell…just speak ur mind…realtime is nothing but a blink of ur eyes…
…spatial computing…has come to stay…
…for now, only for rich folks…but don’t u worry…within another two years, the pricetag of ur next mbp will be already a little higher than the a new air light version of ur new shiny eyesight computer…and let’s face it, literally, who will still use a classic laptop or desktop design end of this decade anyways…

amazon rings at ur door to deliver fresh air and to fill ur fridge… no need to leave the house ever again…yeah…the future is a shiny, candy coloured thing…who said, digital slavery and living in the matrix is bad…how dare u…think twice and try again…

1 Like

You writing the prequel to Ready Player One?

Leading with the biggest issues for you, since not leaning into hate and historical scapegoats comes before actual issues of class and inequality.

Darker and brought into our world.

Sadly the rants are based on an honest to god reactionary cult over direct concerns of techno-feudalism.

_

100% agreement. He’s not a smart man.

_

My M1 macbook should last quite a long time, hopefully until the airs get M3 and i’m able to use more than a few external monitors at once.

I appreciate at least that MacOS can last me a while, I’ve been a Windows user for most of my post-Commodore life and Windows 11 screwing with the good things about 7 and 10 UI and enshittifying the start menu alongside back end regressions in latency for audio (much worse for me) just broke me of wanting to bother.

Not that there aren’t some recent latency introducing changes for Apple native that need addressing, of course. But i have more confidence that those will ever be looked into than low level audio systems on Windows.

leaving your studio is so passe man, when I leave my studio it’s to go to the other side of my studio or to somebody else’s studio, and if I do leave my studio I take my studio with me wtf I’m stuck!

Not mine, this was posted by designers humor IG account, but I thought I’d drop it here :rofl:

4 Likes

I just watched the announcement video and let me say that as a lifelong PC and Android user, I’ve never felt so impoverished.
They really hit that gentrification market well.

1 Like

the best thing for companies about rich people is they have zero life experience that would lead to good taste, so they just buy what theyre told is good.

1 Like

well that ‘headset’ might be a bit clunky but what you can do with it seems to be awesome

if any company, not Apple alone, would develop some sort of glasses like google back in the days, that would be a gamechanger … small, lightweight but powerful - this one is to big for the mass market

10 years + and we will have something like that, that’s just the beginning

btw that concept already exists since years … not quite the same but equally powerful - the Microsoft HoloLense

1 Like

Oh wow, completely forgot about the HoloLense. The announcement made a lot of people very excited, but then just quietly died down.
Products like these make me feel excited for what’s on the horizon, and I can’t help but imagine how we’ll all have our virtual little movie theaters with great sound and all that. The great thing about tech is that it gets better and better, but inflation never hits it too hard. Remember when flat screens were $1000’s of dollars when they first came out? Now they just give them away if you sign up for a gym membership (bit of hyperbole, but you get the idea).
Another thing I think about watching these tech things is how it’ll be incorporated in the next season of Black Mirror. I’m sure Charlie Brooker is already busy writing something to incorporate a dystopian world made utopian with a pair of high tech glasses, or something. He kind of already hit it with the video game episode a few seasons back. Black Mirror is also something that makes me excited for the future (new seasons), but also saaadddddddd. Fun!

1 Like