Apple WWDC 2023

I’ll do it

Maybe I can program the chip to teach to make better music. :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

I don’t know, the original iPhone was $499. You can currently get an iPhone SE for $429, or an iPhone 13 for $699. It seems like they have held their price well considering there was not an iPhone Pro lineup when the iPhone launched.

10 years ago, a 2013 Macbook Pro 15" would start out at $1999. Currently you can get a 14" for $1999, or a 16" for $2499.

I think there are some added costs, but I think some of this is just the cost of inflation.

As for the Vision lineup, I think at some point we will see different tiers, similar to the Apple Watch. I think in a few years they will introduce and SE version for a little bit cheaper.

1 Like

The brilliant thing about a monitor is that it can’t be used to turn everything in your room into a surface for an advert.

2 Likes

This is the analysis that’s kind to Apple. It’s fine, and kinda true. And the SEs are nice phones, and will get good support.

The other view is that on launch, the iPhone was “the best iPhone ever made” - and it was £500. Today, “the best iPhone ever made” is over twice that price.

And todays phone does (a)x more than the 2008 phone.

Not that that its necessarily a GOOD thing. I do appreciate what its capable of. But I do miss the simplicity of the old. And being less tied to it.

the og phone was a phone with features. todays is a freakin computer

1 Like

SE versions are basically just old tech though, so I would agree with you folks there - in that in a few years they might be selling the current version for less, I don’t think it’s going to be half the price though :sweat_smile:

I mean I hope you’re right anyway, I certainly wouldn’t complain if it became cheaper!

If shit could stabilize for a bit prices could drop. The initial production cost pays it self off with sales then prices come down. But as they are constantly upgrading stuff, there is no time for sales to pay off the initial investment.

People constantly wanting newer better faster all the time doesn’t help.

Different realm, but when Burton bought board presses prices went up from 600 for a board to 800-1200. They used to be hand pressed. Once the presses paid themselves off boards came back down to 500-700 with much better tech. This is a better way for me to illustrate the point I was trying to make if I wasn’t very clear

1 Like

Right, but it was also the only iPhone ever made when it was launched. It was the best when it was released because it was its own competition. They have since expanded and made different tiers/pricepoints. It’s what a lot of companies do when they build out pricing tiers. The creation of a “Pro” line doesn’t mean that now all of the other models become much cheaper and Pro version replaces the base model. If the “best iphone ever” made was stuck at one price for all time, then the upgraded features/options would also be limited.

I agree, I don’t think it would be half the price. I think the Vision Pro that is released next year will be the same price. I do think there will be an SE for in the $2500 range at some point. And there may be an upper tier as well at some point that will offer gold-plated googles or something.

1 Like

Yea that’s the key thing I guess, the pricing often tracks (and I guess in some ways limits the scope) of how they upgrade the gear.

To be fair when accounting for inflation you could argue that a lot of their range is ‘cheaper’. If it tracked with the price of butter we’d be paying 10k for a MacBook :upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

me thinks AI, I think the way it will be abused will dwarf the abuse of nuclear power

1 Like

I thought the presentation was pretty unreal, it’s kinda stuck with me a bit. It’s a lot of tech working in concert to create this new interaction. I think Apple really cracked it - while a lot of the 3D AR stuff was awol, it’ll come.

Dave 2D raised a good point tho, that outward facing screen is really only good for other people, not yourself. And with every example it was mostly people alone in a room using it, why is that necessary? That’s a lot of money to pay for other peoples privilege. So if there was an SE that would be the first thing to go. But at least they addressed that social element.

And regarding the birthday dad, Marco from ATP likened this to old school VHS recorder dads, who used to pull out the old shoulder recorders on vacation back in the day. It’s not something you do all the time, but you take it out and grab a moment, then put it away. The proof will be in the pudding though and from all reports everyone that’s tried it has been blown away.

I feel like maybe they have done something - this might actually replace TV’s for a lot of people in the future. But I thought perhaps one of the most interesting thing to come out of WWDC was the Game Porting Toolkit. It’s clear Apple wants native games on this thing, I don’t think we’ll ever see an input to it.

Headsets still remain somewhat socially unaccepted, but now with battery power and pass through it’s not hard to imagine people walking around the streets with these things on in a matter of years. Im not sure if I want that future, but from the point of view of cinema, digital arts and immersive media I find this idea of spatial virtuality fascinating. I’ve always been highly sceptical of VR, after all we’ve watched it basically go nowhere for 30 years, but this could be a watershed moment.

5 Likes

Rainbow six comes to the Mac….I’m gonna get one somehow [someone hire me]. Bloodborne would be fun too. Hell…No Mans Sky, PGA golf! :relaxed:

So you can one-up everyone else in business class, or at the resort lobby, as with any other Apple product. A huge part of the Apple value proposition, globally, is luxury and status signaling.

2 Likes

The “other people” here are Apple.

The outer screen lets users continue to wear these goggles through situations they would otherwise be socially excluded from. Given that, for most situations in which this could happen, it would be better for everyone if the goggle-user was un-goggled, the only people who really gain are Apple. The front screen enables more use cases, and thus more sales.

Cynicism aside… it’s a clever invention. It allows the AR to extend out of the headset back into the R. This wont happen directly because only the user can directly apprehend the AR. However, the headset user will appear to be present-ish in the R(eal) space, as well as within the AR space. They will ve able to communicate with, and about the AR with the R, and to some degree mediate the boundary between them.

The only think I got is laying down, watching a jam, without using arms.

1 Like

You hold your own phone?

You wanna sort that out mate, plenty of people about to hold your phone for you.

1 Like

Too expensive. I need robots.

1 Like

The original iPhone was also highly subsidized (via 2 year contract) by the carrier (AT&T), today the customer pays the full retail price. No subsidy plus inflation is why they appear to be so much more expensive than back in the day.

1 Like

It wasn’t just iPhones, at that time you could get hundreds off of many new phones. There were a lot more incentives signing a new contract then. Some of that still exists, but it has also shifted to the leasing type of deals where you pay your monthly lease fee and get a brand new phone every 1-2 years instead.

1 Like

Hopefully they address some of the audio issues people have experienced with all audio interfaces (including just the Macbook itself!) and Apple chips.

I know they’re aware of them, RME and many others have sent out messages and posted at length but Apple doesn’t tend to publicly respond.