Apple Event

I had a thought today that maybe Apple will do a small square shaped iPhone. Like a bigger Apple Watch that jumped off the wrist and into your palm. Apple Palm maybe.

I’d love a little device like that. Not a big fully fledged iPhone but something a bit more minimal and limited in its use.

But more like the Watch growing up, rather than iPhone shrinking down…

“We took what we learned from the Apple Watch…”

I am in desperate need of a new Mac. My old 27" iMac is on it’s last legs :expressionless:

I’m probably going to go for the low end / budget Mac Mini M1.

Are Apple doing another event this year? Are there strong rumors of a new / updated Mini?

It’s Apple. If they put out a smaller phone as their top end, and spun it as being more sleek and slim for your new streamlined lifestyle, 23% of their customers would buy it regardless.

1 Like

13 Pro Max 512GB arrived today.

Things I appreciate immediately over my XS:
The speakers
The promotion display
The battery life
The low light performance and sharpness of the camera
The 3x optical zoom

3 Likes

While that very well may be the case, Android led the way on larger phones. In this sense, Apple was the follower, not the leader.

But the battery life concerns folks have with the smaller phones have made large phones here to stay.

1 Like

I use an iPad mini as a phone :slight_smile:

Wait it out a couple months

Apple almost never go into a new market first. They wait for someone else to show them what to improve on.

1 Like

I must admit, that iPad mini is looking so cute.

But simply have no need for it as my second hand iPad Air 2019 is still going as storing as ever :muscle:

Digging iOS 15 too

Assume that was advice to wait for a new Mac Mini?

Yeah. Well the rumours have been that new pro Macs are in the works, and even a rumour for a more high powered Mac Mini. It’d be worth waiting a few more months to see what drops, should see something either in oct or nov.

As it stands apple still sell the high tier Mac mini with an Intel chip, so it would be something to replace that model.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, that was the vibe I got; that the 27", Mini, Pro were all still running Intel chips; so should expect to see them all be replaced / upgraded with M1 Chips (M1x? M2?)

I probably won’t be in the market for the top end models…

I wouldn’t be surprised if they get closer to yearly update cycles like phones and iPads as they aren’t really dependent on intels road map anymore.
But M1x is rumored before end of year.

2 Likes

I always take rumors with a grain of salt. For instance, the new 16" MacBook Pro was supposed to have already come out a couple of other times by now. It seems like rumors are right about 1/3 of the time with Mac stuff, and even then, when they get the product right, or close right, the release date is off by quite a bit.

1 Like

there still dealing with shortages though and china is eyeing taiwan and wanting to roll in and take over because all those chips would be useful to them. in the meantime same company that builds for apple in taiwan is building a factory in america but it’ll take a few years to build and bring up to scale required by apple.

also, apple is having a lot of turnover in the chip design dept… there’s a bunch of stuff about all this posted in that other thread about M1 macs i think. worth tracking down. i don’t expect yearly updates to computers. they’re so fast and getting faster for most people’s uses. until the prices come way down and the computers become recyclable i some way i’d not expect them to be rolled over so often. it’s just not sustainable currently… or necessary… not that that is what a company focuses on but at some point people will realize this and try to make things last longer. … hopefully

2 Likes

I’ve learned to consider the source. Some have a far greater track record than others. And some of those others are particularly awful (cough::Jon Prosser::cough), and it makes no sense that they (cough::Jon Prosser::cough) get any consideration whatsoever on sites like MacRumors, even though such sites will call out bad track records, and point out good track records when publishing “leaks”.

But I guess when you’re really good at click-baity YouTube video thumbnails, it doesn’t matter if you’re a fake leaker or not.

cringe

4 Likes

Quick cinematic mode bokeh test on a pair of Octatracks (speakers are off)

2 Likes

Congrats for that, and for making me think about going for iPhone 13 Pro instead of the regular one.

Do you shoot video with it, and if so, what would be the typical video length and resolution for you?

I finally decided to do the trade-in with AT&T because my current iPhone’s battery life is getting more erratic with age. I have a choice of several storage sizes.

I’m thinking if I get the Pro I can make better quality videos for Youtube. I suspect 128 GB would be enough for me since I don’t plan to make any videos longer than 15 min. but I get the feeling I’ll run out of space quick.

I’ve been doing cinematic mode stuff with it. Which is locked at 1080p/30fps

1 minute of video is 72MB. So 15 min would be around 1GB.
It obviously goes up in size with 4K, or 60fps, or ProRes. Or a combo of those features.
But cinematic mode looks so good that I stick with it. And the ability to go back and adjust the video f/stop, depth of field, after the fact is revolutionary.
It’s totally replaced my old Canon EOS DSLR for video.

1 Like

Wow, replacing the Canon…

I could trade in my 6S for an iPhone 13 for $0/month.

The 13 Pro would cost $5/month with 128GB. $8/month with 256GB.

Sound like $8 a month for 36 months may be worth it for that camera and a bit less offloading to a flash drive.