Aphex Twin recommendations?

1 Like

Heā€™s had four distinct phases, hereā€™s what Iā€™d recommend you check out from each. I like pretty much everything.

1st: Early stuff, ambient and early techno tracks: Selected ambient works 85-92 & Classics.
2nd: Evolved drums: Crazy drum patterns and wistful melodies. Hangable Auto Buld EP & Richard D. James album.
3rd: Return to acid. Released under AFX, the whole Analord series 1-10.
4th: Plastic microtonal melodies. Orphans & Syro.

1 Like

I love SAW 1 era (including all the soundcloud stuff from that era) and Analords the most.
Some Tuss, Syro and tracks from his latest EPs as well.
Still stunned by some tracks on Druqks and come to daddy ep but Iā€˜m a bit tired of glitch for the sake of glitchyness in general :upside_down_face:
RDJ album stays my least favorite. Has a cheesy touch to me, I donā€™t know.

2 Likes

Some recent Favs :slightly_smiling_face:

Im suprised t69 collapse hasnā€™t been mentioned. One of my favesā€¦

3 Likes
1 Like

It is not complicated, all his work is to be listened to.
If possible on vinyl, cd or tape, avoid youtube for first listenings,
it is a crime against the hearing of humanity.
Iā€™ve seen people advise to find out in order, thatā€™s fine.

Special case, Classics must be listened to much too loudly,
the ear must bleed slightly at 2/3 of the album to savor it perfectly.

3 Likes

Great Ep :black_heart:
Found this cover recently, quite cool

1 Like

To recap, we suggest everything.

10 Likes

:rofl: basically!

But the irony of a thread like this is it can quite quickly shift from ā€œhere are the basicsā€ to a mine of hidden gems.

3 Likes

This thread made my day great :slight_smile: listening to lots of Aphex today while working

3 Likes

Also, how have we got this far without Polynomial C being brought up.

When he dropped this a couple of years ago in that warehouse in Manchester, we lost our shit. Iā€™m crying now just thinking about it.

6 Likes

This one is really great. The EP didnā€™t get much love, but with the bonus tracks itā€™s a very nice collection

6 Likes

I always quite enjoyed that EP, along with most of his to be fair. Usually much more concise and less fillerā€¦ yeah, Syro and Drukqs, Iā€™m looking at you.

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like
3 Likes

I sort of think itā€™s worth listening to the Aphex Twin records (as in Iā€™m not talking about any other monikers here) in order of release, sort of taking note what other music was about at the time it came out. Doing that you can see the evolution of him as an artist, and really appreciate how much innovation is there. Of course thatā€™s not the only way to enjoy the music, buts it adds a dimension I think.

For me the Richard D James album is the one that has the most to offer I think. My favourite is Druqks. Not a popular choose amongst hardcore fans I donā€™t think, and also not great for newcomers as itā€™s quite a broad palette.

Listening to Syro is like a greatest hits album of unreleased songs (in that you can pick out from what point in time the songs were made by their sound and content) and computer controlledā€¦ is a great one for a different sort of tone. Donā€™t miss the b sides on the come to daddy ep too.

For me - The Tuss is my top non AT named release.

My favourite aphex twin tracks - and two of my favourite tracks of all time - are Vordhosbn and Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michaels Mount from Drukqs. I never tire of those tracks.

Vordhosbn is basically perfect.

7 Likes

Iā€™d like to add that when you listen to Ambient Works Vol. 2, do so in a dark room, with a severe lack of sleep. It adds to the enjoyment factor. Youā€™ll get to dance on the line between flying in a euphoric dream, and giving into insanity.

1 Like

Druqks is a wonder, Mt Saint Michel is simply divine.
It is such a rich period in his career.

2 Likes

I heartily agree with all three of these statements

2 Likes