Anyma Phi

It’s monophonic for sure. It sounds polyphonic due to the ringing resonance tails that overlap as different notes are played on certain patches.

2 Likes

I’m not banking on it being anything else … more than anything, I just wondered what was going on in the video … I figured it must be something to do with reverb.

Did you mean reverb tails ? Or the resonance being modelled ?

I’m pretty certain it’s the resonance being modeled, before applying the reverb, that is causing it (per one of the devs).

I’m trying to make sense of how the reverb works as a mono effect applied to a stereo output. How much difference does it make using both L+R outputs? I see that one oscillator can be routed to an output while 2 are routed to another.

1 Like

You mean the part starting at 1:02 in the video, when there is a series of lower notes being held and sounding in combination with a higher melody parts played over top of those held notes. It’s OK to explain this anyway one wants to. If you use a definition based on what you hear, then you say you are hearing two separate tones, and musical lines. If you use a definition based on what the software and hardware are actually doing, then perhaps this is not more than one note being sounded at a time, and perhaps that is the case. You’d have to see how the code works.

With a digital synth looked at from the software side of things the difference between monophonic and polyphonic, could be as simple as a lightweight multithreading of separate sound generating threads, making a weighted average of the resulting data streams. I don’t think there is some magic line between the two from a software perspective.

I will just listen.

So now we have three updates in one week — perhaps a new Kickstarter record !?

Update #12 is on mechanical integration of the electronics with the metal housing. It includes an image showing how these two parts fit together.

There also seems to be a slow up that might delay the early part of the shipment of the final product. I am so not sweating reasonable delays with the Anyma Phi.

Someone asked in comments where the microphone is in the image ? I know where it is supposed to be, and don’t see it either, but again i am not sweating this either.

ADDED: Four updates now, and this last one is a big one, though they call it a small change. Here’s the software update i was asking for. From their e-mail:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

And finally, we’ve made a seemingly small but important change on the matrix on the front panel.

The Model parameter in the Global stage is now called Morph, and allows you to seamlessly transition between two states of the matrix.

So if you have two preferred settings for a patch, now you can quickly switch from one to another, and everything in between! You can even assign the Morph parameter to a MIDI CC and play it with a controller. Or a LFO, if you’re really into modulating your modulations using a modulator.

Morph makes many kinds of crazy, mind-bending tricks accessible in a simple way.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This sounds like it should be a lot of fun, and it is quite unexpected that they would add it.

You need to go read the whole thing, Update #13. There is a bunch of other new announcements. Good stuff.

I have to be honest. I’m a Kickstarter backer for this, but I’ve lost a lot of enthusiasm due to the hideous panel graphics. Who, in their right mind, would think this is a good design choice?

5 Likes

Yeah, i’m really resistant to “design” choices in general, and even i was mystified to see the random angle on the vertical lines. To the plus it will be easy enough to cover a large flat surface, with not a lot of complication to cut around. Shall we start a Kickstarter to do an overlay for the Anyma Phi ? I’m partly joking on that, but only partly. There are plenty of comments critical of the design with that update — so we’ll see.

On the plus is the use of Bourns encoders. And i really am excited with the new Morph function with the software. They’re really good with keeping everyone informed and, doing well with getting things done to the schedule too.

2 Likes

2 of them were mine :laughing:

Crooked blue lines, crooked parameter labels, and stupid looking text behind the parameter labels… there is so much to not like here.

Why can’t they just make it simple, clear, and good-looking like this?

These were done by oversynth.

1 Like

Another update from Aodyo on the Anyma Phi. They included a new video showing some of the electronic manufacture with a soundtrack done with the Anyma Phi. The soundtrack is simple, but I really like the two sounds they demonstrate here. Definitely excited with the idea of playing this with a wind controller.

Any other super early birders here ? They sent me a survey so it sounds like they’re getting ready to ship those units — not sure exactly, but soonishly.

2 Likes

I hopped in at the last minute for the first batch remainders (post-campaign, they had some slots open) – at that time (a couple weeks ago), the shipping estimate was June. So I think they’re probably going to start shipping early adopters soon; production does seem in full swing.

It arrived a few minutes ago.

I haven’t downloaded the manual, i think it hasn’t been posted, nor has the editor.

There are 7 patches loaded. The only one i’ve played with so far is #7 Piezo Pling, which uses the built-in piezo mic, not much of a demonstration, but i’ve gotten realistic steel drum sounds, and found a way to add weird glitchy C-3PO sounding morphs on that.

All the encoders have detents. The display is crisp but small. The power supply, is for a USB plug that comes with the European wall connector only (i’m in the USA) not a big deal but why bother ? The unit has a compact design, solid, but not awe inspiring in feel. That’s OK too, from the little i’ve heard i’m expecting the sound to more than make up for that.

Well off to make the most of the time i have to play with this, without a manual or an editor.

ADDED:
Patch Names:

• Laraaji +
  • Resozen
  • Muta-Flutes
  • Kokomo +
  • El Harrachi +
  • Phenomenon
  • Piezo Pling

Not sure if the “+” is part of the name or some special designation.

ADDED: A few more minutes with it. Plugged in a Roland Aerophone. Nice the Aerophone plugs straight into the USB Host connector. I can say the AP is taking over as my wind controller audio device. The patches Aodyo provide are examples, a plucked string sound, a mallet sort of device that’s wonderfully glassy in upper registers, a distorted bass sound, and the throaty flute sound you’ve seen in the videos, but i really like what it does so far. I need to work out the MIDI interface more completely, the manual when it’s available will help.

7 Likes

Check your mail. They’ve made an early version of the manual available (not sure that I should share the link as it appears to be aimed at early backers)

What a difference e a day makes. That would be Update #22 just released today. The updates are all public for the Anyma Phi, no secrets. It’s OK to talk about it all here, there’s no non-disclosures.

ADDED: And i see there are more patches there too. ADDED: Oops there are only the original seven there at the moment.

2 Likes

To save other early users some time. A fix to a minor mechanical issue:

The five encoders all have a pressed momentary switch. My problem came up with the Display Encoder, but could potentially occur with the other encoders too. You press the Display Encoder to bring up the Settings menu. My unit was unreliable switching into and out of the Settings menu. I thought at first that the software was missing the press, or that the amount of time that i pressed the knob was wrong. What is really happening is that the knob depth is too great for the shaft length, and so the knob slipped down and was bottoming out. (Remember in one of the updates Aodyo said they were adjusting shaft length, because the knobs stuck up too far.) I figured this out and made a temporary fix by just pulling the knob up. I may make a more permanent fix, maybe by putting a small piece of paper or something in the knobs – i’ll consult with Aodyo first.

This thing sounds amazing. Really cool. I’ve been pretty regularly taking trips into space playing my wind controller. Definitely need to get on to patch design and work out improvements to my control interface.

A note, the AP has the provision for an arpeggiator, but Aodyo is still working on an implementation.

3 Likes

Would love to hear some of the sounds you’re making if you’re up for sharing :blush:

Another early report – still really happy.

Another minor problem a rubber foot came unstuck, that’s common enough on all sorts of equipment. Any suggestions how to get a more permanent stick ? Super glue ? It doesn’t cover anything.

The editor is the real deal. No bugs yet but this thing runs deep, and it’s still early on for me. I’m running the Windows version and it’s visually very clean, and mostly understandable after getting acquainted. They’ve packed a lot in here.

Still finding the sounds expansive and complex, and enjoyable. Fits the wind controller i use, and it works well with keyboards too. The reverb really does make it more “polyphonic” depending on the patch. ADDED: Go ahead and blast it with chords. Depending how you set up your patches it doss interesting useful things.

2 Likes

Is there anyone here in the UK from ‘super-early-adopters’ (that is, those whose Anyma Phi has shipped) who has now got their Anyma Phi ?

Itching to get my hands on mine, but it hasn’t turned up yet. (Probably too early to bother support with a query as yet) .

I’m in the USA, if that is any help. I never got notified that mine had shipped until DHL knocked on my door.

Hope you get it soon, i’m looking forward to hearing what you think.

1 Like

I’m worried (only slightly at present) that the UK is a bit of a special case because of recent changes (brexit) in that there used to be no import border between us and France, and now there is, but with very new rules that result in a lot of confusion.