Analog Rytm OS 1.60A: bug reports

As of 1.60a, it doesn’t look like the FX track is mutable via CC (1 94 13) or the tracks 1-12 solo function. I sent a ticket in about 4 hours ago.

I seem to recall having issues like that (it was a couple years ago) and I think it was due to some LFO settings I had. I can’t remember exactly what it was now though.

couldn’t find anything related to this other than this old thread:

this is what happens when hitting BT5 (decay in the amp page set to inf) and then hitting the other pads starting from BD1. setting a shorter decay will only make the noise stop after some time. tried loading a new kit/project, switch on/off the AR (MKI) but the issue is still there, didn’t happen last time i used the AR :thinking:

edit: test mode gives 1 error: AUDIO[-] 2

Right a very weird thing here I can’t easily repeat.

Occasionally, usually on the SD track but also on the RS track

I have SYN deselected (im just using samples in this case)

A very weird fast looped synth sound comes through (either playing the sequence or just pressing the pad to trigger the sound).

It’s an endless loop if I have the Amp Env set to infinite.

It’s very very weird and a horrible sound, and only happens sometimes. If I turn SYN on and off it doesn’t go away, but if I bring the decay down, and change the synth assign, and turn SYN on and off, it does stop and starts behaving normally.

Anyone else experienced this? Pretty much brand new RYTM.

Edit:

Made a new pattern and fresh kit, turned SYN off on all the tracks, and SD still triggers a synth sound. If i change the settings of the synth DECAY it appears to have zero effect - all the other settings alter the sound - including amp env, filter, LFO. It just appears to be a completely infinite sustained version of whatever sound.

This is bizzare!

Have you checked the FX settings?
In particular Delay Feedback and Compression Mix. Set them both to 0, just to check.

Compressor at zero, zero delay level. Its definitely the synth sound itself

If I manage to stop the sound, save the kit, the sound comes back! Its happening on SD and RS only, and turning SYN off does not stop it sounding. eek

OK.
If it happens when SYN is deselected, then it most likely comes from the SMPL menu.
Is LOOP mode ON?

It does it when sample is off as well, loop off, no sample loaded

Its clearly the synth sound, cus when you change the synth TUN it alters the pitch

Oh, I had understood you had deselected SYN parameter in TRIG menu.
Can you drop a picture of the SYN menu then?

Will do when I’m back home. It makes the sound when SYN trigger is off as well

Here are the settings. If tap the pad its a continuous (horrible) noise, and if i turn the TUN it changes pitch.

Obviously usual rules apply here … test with nothing else connected by USB or MIDI, try a fresh new project and have a look at Test Mode if it’s still producing sound when it’s standalone in a new project and you have empty patterns and syn+smp trigs off etc … that doesn’t make any sense otherwise, could possibly be an issue

next thing to try would be to create a simple sound based on the noise machine and copy it to every track - then compare all tracks

if it was a bug it should affect other people too

No midi connected - will try a fresh project next.

I’ve now worked out another part of the story.

This happens when I’m switching from a pattern which has the DVCO with a long decay on the same track - otherwise it doesn’t happen. Its like a hangover from the DVCO settings get stuck that needs to get properly ‘switched off’ to stop.

This happens on a new project so perhaps you can try?

Make a new project
Pattern A turn off SYN trigger on 1 2 or 3, leave other settings the same.
Save the kit
Pattern B load a new kit
Load up a dual VCO in 1 2 or 3 (the one from above)
Put the decay up to infinite, turn the Amp Decay (the sound stops audibly, of course the oscillator is still going in the background)
Save the kit
Now go back to pattern 1 and hit your pad (1 2 or 3)

I did this with the noise generator, and a similar thing happened but it very quickly decayed, it was like it hadn’t p’locked over to the other kit yet… or something?

It seems directly related to DVCO though I’ll do more tests on other tracks/synths

Edit: to stop it, turn SYN on and retrigger the pad.

I hope there is an easy fix - this is only a problem for switching to patterns that have no synth trigger… so there are of course afew work arounds (not having the decay so high on the synth, having the synth trigger but with level down… etc) but its not ideal.

Edit 2: testing on cymbals, toms, noise and it doesn’t happen, its only with the DVCO
EDIT 3: it happens with a bit (it decays) with BD sharp, silky and plastic
It sustains forever with BD FM, classic and Hard with decay at max.

It’s something you might want to talk through with support if bothered - but from my quick investigation with one SD track on a chained pattern, 1 sustaining note on the first with VCO and the next with an SD machine - infinite decay on DVCO params

Yes - if the second track is using the voice and there’s no trig it continues to sound - perhaps to be expected, nothing has terminated that voice from sounding its infinite tone

If i then only enable the syn trig for the SD voice it definitely terminates the DVCO

if the seq is off and the DVCO has been allowed to sustain, the trigless [trig page] pad strike will retain the DVCO settings - even though teh pad is struck which you might think should really be treated like a trig, however you’ve instructed neither the syn nor smp to sound, so the sound continues (although looping samples don’t)

I am not sure if there’s any obvious interpretation of this - trhe question you may get is, what are you expecting when you ‘trig’ a voice without trigs ??

if either the syn or smp trig is enabled on the following track it kills both the prior sound compeonents

i’m not sure anything inconsistent is happening here - you’re just gating the voice that’s still oscillating, but see what support say if you still find it doesn’t make sense on those terms

The issue is if I have a pattern which only has samples (no SYN) trigger, the sound from the DVCO carries on, but with this bizarre version of whatever synth sound is loaded on the pattern.

It’s fixable but I don’t think it’s ideal

if you are not using synth sounds on some kits - then kill the syn volume, load a blank machine or zap the dvco before teh transition by killing the synth decay

you may find that the infinite decay synth case hasn’t been considered, you say it’s different with other ‘sustaining’ machines, so maybe it’s an oversight

put another way, i doubt anyone is relying on a dvco voice sustaining over a pattern change whilst the underlying ‘untrigged’ machine has been swapped - so maybe they can use the transition to a new ‘untrigged’ syn machine to kill the voice - but that wouldn’t fly well if it was say a cymbal that overlapped a transition of kits - it’d be interesting to hear what the designers think of the anomaly, it’s maybe one of those 50/50 things, could go either way, but it won’t change or be considered unless you discuss it in a ticket

1 Like

Sweet will do thanks for all the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I may rephrase @avantronica, the screen capture shows that you don’t trig neither SYN nor SMP (on the TRIG page).
This means whatever sound with eternal decay is played before will continue to ring, but (I think) with the new Filter/Envelope/LFO/FX settings.
So it can sound pretty weird indeed, especially if you change tempo and there are tempo-related parameters.

What you can do is placing (on your track in your new pattern) a trig with FST condition on TRIG one that kills the synth sound (for instance by plocking SYN + decay).

What you describe is not a bug, more of a side effect of using long decays and chaining patterns, I believe?
Maybe avoid infinite decays, I have found that it is not always the right way to do (unless you want drones) and easily lead to unwanted mistakes (especially with ringing filters).

2 Likes

The same thing happens if SMP is selected on the TRIG page (try it if you like), and only with DVCO and some BD machines, so I’d be surprised if it isn’t a bug - why wouldn’t a noise generator on infinite decay do the same thing, for example? I’ve made a ticket anyhow.

2 Likes