Analog Rytm OS 1.60A: bug reports

good question, hard to tell for sure, that’s probably simplest resolved via support to check if it’s expected/intended - i suspect expected though, but i see your point too

3 Likes

Sound lock (!) indicator seems to be completely missing to denote an incompatible sound with a particular track. Anyone else notice this? Ar mk2 1.60a

This is how it’s always been as far as I remember. I use an external controller for perf control on my mk1 and always wished kit reload (and reload kit after pattern/kit change) would reset.
My only workaround is to use external sequencer (OT in my case)to send 0 value at start of new pattern.

I would love to see a preference setting where you could choose to reset Perfs or not.

1 Like

Yes, elektron support replied it was likely kept like this for legacy consistency, but admitted it s perhaps not ideal behavior. They d discuss it with the dev team. Haven t heard back after that. Your propsal for an optional setting sounds viable to me, like the legacy fx send (though that one s a pain sometimes because it s set on a per sound basis).

2 Likes

Thats good to hear they are considering it. It would save me tons of time having to program the OT and make general mangling a bit easier to reset.
Lets hope we get another surprise update!!

Hopefully there will be a 1.6b to solve this . I have the same issue.
Support are advising to leave off for 20 seconds before switching back on and make sure it’s not plugged into a shared power supply, although I don’t know what difference that make.
Luckily I’ve had no issues since I did what they say and it’s come on fine.

Not sure if this is a bug, but when going to Save Project, it never shows my current Project onscreen. I have to press Up or Down before it shows. It seems to be one Project off:

Here you can see I’m working on Project 012 called 0CST, but it’s not shown onscreen without pressing Up or Down. I can save it just fine by ignoring the screen and hitting Yes.

Im having another go today with my sound presets… and im running into some problems.
do you have any issues using sounds?

ive loaded a bunch of claps ive saved yesterday into the sound pool and locked them in the CP track its all worked correctly so far,
I then loaded all my kick drum sounds into the sound pool and tried to sound lock them and some are not working and referencing sample slots that the claps are using and playing clap sounds…

but when i load the kick sounds directly to a pad by double tapping trk and loading them
the kick sounds work and load the correct sample to the first empty slot…

Unless I’m doing something wrong, it seems when using the sound pool it doesn’t load and reference the correct samples

(I took the liberty to move your message here, @DanJamesAUS: it seemed more appropriate)

Are your FX (especially the compression) neutral?

This is pretty weird. Are you 100% it’s not due to user error?
Is your OS 1.60A?

1 Like

when i put the sounds i created (mostly samples with analog engine disabled) into the sound pool then try lock them its using the wrong samples
but when i select the same sounds from the sound browser to use on a track it works correctly
Im not super familiar with using sounds so not %100 sure is not user error yet…
going to compare it to the digitakt and see

Oh, you’re talking about two different things:

In the Sound Pool, there are Sounds, ie patches with one selected machine and every parameter to specify how the machine is set up for this Sound.

In the Sample list (not sure how it’s called) from SMPL menu/SMP encoder, you have samples.

You can lock a sample on a trig (hold trig, turn SMP encoder while in SMPL menu), but this doesn’t change the machine, especially not the machine parameters.
You can also lock a Sound (hold trig, turn LEVEL knob) and it will change the analog machine for this trig. I am unsure it also load the Sample it’s relying on if the sample is not in the sample list, this has to be checked.

But it seems you are mixing these two very different concepts, aren’t you?

No, i dont think i am confusing the sample/sound pool…
im creating Sounds (presets) to save with all the settings amp/filter/lfo that include a sample and most have the analog engine disabled and are just samples with amp/filter settings…

when i load my saved Sounds i made (preset with all settings) into the sound pool
and start locking them some are not finding and using the correct sample…
the Sounds (presets) without a sample are working correctly

I just started testing this on the digitakt by creating sounds (presets) and loading them to the sound pool and locking them at it seems to be working correctly…

unless im doing something wrong,
it seems the Rytm Sound pool is not working correctly with samples.

OK. Thanks for confirming.

So that’s what I feared : the Sounds can be saved with a particular sample. Problem is that they would seem to be saved with a sample slot in the sample list, not a sample in the memory (makes sense somehow, cause the sample needs to be loaded in memory).
Problem is the sample slot from the sample list is a Project level setting, while the Sound is a global setthing, so it’s obvious there can be a divergence between the Sound as it is saved at a certain time in a Project, and as it is played in another Project or when the sample list has changed.

I have to check this, but it is indeed a bit problematic IMO.

1 Like

yes it seems to be referencing the slot it was saved in,
rather adding the new sample and referencing that new slot…

it works for loading a preset as the sound it puts the sample into the first available slot and can find it, it doesnt seem to be working for sound locks…

ive only just started testing the digitakt, but that seems to work so far,
so possibly a bug on the rytm?

No, the pool sound references a sample slot, not a sample

so you cant save presets with samples and use them in the sound pool?

This makes me think it would be indeed something that has been overlooked by Elektron for the Sound pool.
I mean, it should work the same if you load a Sound in a track, and if you load a Sound in the pool.
@DanJamesAUS I would drop a ticket, IMO.

2 Likes

I just tested and the digitakt does find the correct sample when using the sound pool.
and doesnt reference the slot it was saved in
its more complicated on the Rytm because of the analog engines so may have been overlooked
I will send a ticket to Elektron,

2 Likes

It’s nuanced, but I think you’re right having tried

I can create a new sound and have it do the right thing for all circumstances … whether it’s loading into a track or loaded into a track direct from the pool (with its sample) when it is otherwise not part of the kit

However, it’s not evidently possible to play it in live from the pool as a ‘live sound lock’ including loading the sample in time for the first hit - so whilst it previews fine it won’t play back properly from the first sound lock entered, but it does lock properly upon the second tap in attempt whilst still viewing the pool - this is also the case if it’s had the sample loaded into another track and the sample is already there - it’s losing valid locks as part of the failed sound lock, not just the sample reference, but only at first strike

it’s not just the sample reference lock that was omitted when sound locking from pool - it also didn’t work on any parameters, e.g bit-rate was a part of my lock, indeed, the name isn’t shown as a lock at the bottom when holding in the trig

so it’s a bit messy and messy to explain, but it’s not quite right in this test scenario I tried

it seemed fine first time, but ensuring the sample was cleared out and the sound pool was emptied and then retrying takes a bit of time - it seems fine in many scenarios as said, but I only get an issue if trying to soundlock from the pool (as you must) - but I can load sounds in a regular way properly from the pool fine afaict

1 Like

it works in this case, but after that it has troubles…
i hadn’t tried live sound locks I was only using the track level to select them…
once you add more sounds to the pool its hit or miss if they work. mostly not.
Ive already sent a ticket!..

2 Likes