Analog Rytm MKII is now shipping

Oddly, I have no gas for this. I was expecting at least the usual tug o’war, between my emotional desire to just buy the entire supply and the rational mind going “Come, come, you need only three or four, five at the most.”

No such thing, though. But it does seem great, a pinnacle of the modern groove box.

2 Likes

Give it some time. It’ll come. You were late with A4 MK2, too :smiley:

2 Likes

:joy:

Also, I’d given the A4MKII some hands-on time before it got me.

So if I just stay away all together from the Rytm, gas won’t come.

:grimacing:

1 Like

Keep trying to fool yourself. It‘s admirable yet futile.

3 Likes

apart from the new buttons, sampling, screen and VCO machine does anyone know if the overall sound has had a re-work like the A4mk2

why would you - the only thing changed in the A4 was the Low pass filter and its associated drive side -the A4 multimode filter was left alone and the same can be assumed for the AR, it doesn’t have a fixed LFP filter (which clearly had some influence on the A4 character, not to everyone’s taste)

The AR has an amazing sound/filter, what’s to fix - it’s clear they can freely redesign the source sound side because that’s where the difference can be made - if you look at any user reviews about the AR they’ll not discus the filter/low-end but they’ll maybe focus on the character of the machines (and we’re all getting a new one even though it was already amazing for bass sounds)

The fact that it’s not in a bullet point is all you need to know - even the input/output levels are the same - sound was not an issue, ‘if it ain’t broke’ etc

1 Like

It’s me. Cenk’s twin brother.

7 Likes

My wife just said the same thing. And my daughter went “Mm-hmm”, and they shared one of them You Know It, Girlfriend-looks and both took a sip from their cups.

So yeah.

But even if I’m the last to know, I’m happily ignorant to the end :slight_smile:

4 Likes

i would like to make a joke on the writer with this but I do not really have the final idea and I think you’ll write it better than me, so…

(metaphor - comparison)

Give it your best. I can take it :slight_smile:

In fact, you can consider it your first draft. I’ll then bring it home, revise it and show you my edits. We can collaborate on the second draft together, pitch it to a few of the nauts here, and then rework it a third time. Once the joke’s final, we’ll perform it together on stage, while jammin’ away on our Analog Rytms MKII and -

SON OF A BI -

DOH

5 Likes

Honestly, though, it’s not like I’m cured. I just have a very clear picture of what’d be even more attractive than the A4MKII right now, and the Rytm ain’t it.

Essentially, it’s the A4MKII worked into a compact yet sturdy keyboard. An Analog Keys MKII, if you will.

2 Likes

It makes sense to focus on the A4 mk2
Dont get infected by the buying syndrome
It takes away the focus from making music

one rule (for me):
GAS is what I experience When I dont make music
It is some kond of external attribution on my lack of making music

9 Likes

Or just bring to the A4 MK2 a modern midi keyboard with this new generation of touch thing (in the road direction of the Roli Seaboard but something less expansive)

@wouzer Even if the Bass territory is very more experienced from the beginning, as i sold everything to update to mark2 and i have nothing for month. I receive only the A4 that’s probably why i focussed more this time on it and feel like it’s pure magic. Few Years ago when i buy the Dark Trinity i started by AR then OT (it took time for this one) then A4 and i’m not enter in the beast (probably the Bass not really sure) i ended by sold it second hand and stick to ITB Synthesis for the possibilities and power. I do think the same but now designing Bass and Drum outside of the computer make sense. (i can instant throw the basics of the groove then i can switch for the extra and construction ITB)

Kind of Analog LOWEND combine with extraterrestrial origin’s Digital melody & voices :smile:

1 Like

Very true. What I learned from gas is that when making music is hard, one tends to think that acquiring other gear might make it easier. And it’s not always completely false, yet almost never entirely true. If you don’t have a compressor, and you get the right compressor, it could make a huge difference that might resolve a block - just imagine Daft Punk’s Homework without that classic Alesis compression,for example.

However, with an instrument as fulfilled as the A4MKII, there are no such excuses. I always struggle to finish things but this time, it’s clear to me that I have all the tools I need to get done, what I hear in my head. It’s just plain, damn hard. And it will never get easier. And that’s just the way it is. That’s the contract we sign when we decide to spend time on this. And we break it when gas elludes us, which is why each purchase can become all the more frustrating - you know it’s a substitute for something else.

2 Likes

Never gonna happen. The singular workflow of one piece is, for me, essential. I’d rather separate the two experiences completely, if I can’t merge them. Sitting down and playing, and enjoying that for what it is - or composing, and enjoying that for what it is.

I want both, but if I can’t have it in the shape that I’d prefer, a compromise will only frustrate me. This, I also learned from gas. The A4MKII, for what it is, holds no compromises. Attach a keyboard to it, and the compromising begins. Merge it with a keyboard, though, and you’ve got a perfect little kit for me.

1 Like

The guy in the video doing the finger drumming hip hop routine, who is he? I really liked that part!

I see little difference between A4 + keyboard and AK. Actually I imagine a very large keyboard would even suits a keyboard player much better.
Lately I’ve been playing on 2 external keyboards at the same time to be able to play two A4 tracks simultaneously (kind of easy midi split) and it was a good experience.

1 Like

Usually, keyboards integrated into the instrument have hardware features specifically designed with the awareness that a keyboard is around. When done well, it becomes a part you can’t attach or detach from the experience, but as essential as the rest of it.

The AKeys did okay in this department, but not great. Clearly, a design that lets your fingers move as seamlessly from playing to composing to designing, to intergrate it with your skill as a keyboard player, is something else than supporting any midi device.

That’s not to say a midi keyboard isn’t a great option or even preferable to some. But for me, it’s not an option cause I know that when done well, the intergrated experience is the best one for me.

1 Like

lack of midi seguencing the external gear kills it for me. I’m not entirely sure who is this product made for. Market is moving dowards growing connectivity and elektron seems to kind of missing the point here. Nice interface tho and Cenk does awesome demo once again…

To me sonically the best experience with A4 was connected with the Roli Seaboard i can’t imagine Elektron making an AK Mk2 with that level of technology of the keys side. Just for fun, test the Roli Seaboard in a Music Shop (if it’s not done yet) just to feel that extra sensoriel experience…

it’s change my life forever on the expressivity aspect of the music. or more realistic i rediscover it.
And programmed, the Roli can control the A4 sounds in a magical way so the playability is then, incredible.

@andreasroman ask to try it with the included VST called EQUATOR. in the more expensive version it’s a real synth (Seaboard GRAND) with Equator embedded but it’s just too expensive for me. and no knobs on it to program the synthesis so deal breaker then even if i have the luxury to buy it.

2 Likes