Analog heat as main soundcard/audio interface

Yes you can do that. I’ve always used my Heat via Overbridge and it’s worked a charm so far.

Nice ! With your speakers directly on the heats outs ?
And no problem with window to listen sound on web or other ?

Yeah man it’s all good here, on PC running win10. Overbridge 1 was always kind to me but I’m on version 2 now and it’s working well now as of last update for me.

Hey All,

I have a new MacBook Pro 16” fully loaded.
Can I use the AHmk2 as the sound card? Have the Overbridge issues been addressed? My DAWs are Ableton 10, Bitwig and Maschine.

Thanks!

Using it as a soundcard should be no problem. It has class compliant driver’s, so whenever I plug my laptop into the AH it automatically becomes the soundcard. I got the Overbridge working the other day. It took a while of messing around with settings and troubleshooting…getiing the settings right, but it’s worth it. I think they have most of the kinks sorted out. Works great on my Win10, 4 year old laptop… But, it took me a while to get it running that way. Maybe buy one from a store where you can return it…and return it if it doesn’t work.
Also, check the OB thread for what it might feel like to set it up. Some people have zero problems, some are having a hard time.

1 Like

Bump! Anyone still using the AH as their primary (or are their still latency issues)? Migrating to Abelton and would like to avoid picking up a new interface if at all possible (use Reason Balance with Reason at the moment).

1 Like

Still using min MK1. Works great. Although I mostly use my DAW as a digital tape recorder. I don’t get perfect latency or anything, but I actually haven’t tried to do the sync computer with gear in a while. I love having the OB in a channel in Ableton. I am on Win10.

1 Like

Thanks! I play everything live, so less concerned with sequencing/clock and more with latency when playing live (if that matters)

Hi,

I’ve setup my analog heat mk1 to use it as a soundcard, but how do I set the buffersize ?

Thanks for your help!

SPDK

1 Like

Looking to buy the AH as the last step in a hardware chain for saturation, grit and some glue on the final stereo mix bus and then use it as a sound interface straight into the DAW.
I will probably NOT have any sound going out from the DAW into the AH and then back into the DAW. So I will be keeping it simple.

Does anybody else use it like this? Still a bunch of issues using it as a sound interface as some describe?

As its now Complient I believe you should be able to use it without Overbridge. Can anyone confirm this? I am also considering this so ai do not have to buy a sound card. Not sure about latency.

Yes. I use the AH MK1 as a sound card, with my monitors on the outputs. So basically, it plays any sound coming from my computer. I also have my gear going into the inputs. I can play my gear and it comes out the outputs as well. Once I want to record into Bitwig, I have a template with Overbridge in it. Hope that answered your question.

Oh and latency… Thats another topic. I have mine really tight, but my computer is pretty old, so I can’t run much whn recording. I think if I had a faster computer it would be fine. I’m on Win10 (Bitwig) tho, so I have no idea about other setups

Thx. Well, I on Mac waiting for OB but I believe I can run it without OB, correct?
I really just want to feed my mix of all gears into a comp and run it in Abletin with some NI synths … in sync.

Hmm…This is an interesting question. So, ou don’t want to use the AH as a processor? Just as a soundcard? Yes, that should work. But, I’m pretty sure in order to record the effect of the AH you need to use overbridge.

Not sure what you mean by “use” as there are multiple routing options (see user manual). But you can, in any case, stream its L/R outs via USB, without Overbridge, eg for recording on your phone.

Would like to midisync out from Ableton thru AH to the rest of the gear and the same time record it into the Live. Will give it a try and report back. I am on BiGSur so no OB for me. Just dont want to buy audio interface when AH was sold as audio interface in mind by Elektron. Thanks for the feedback guys.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure they are selling it as a audio interface, but they did later make it class compliant, so it works like that. I am interested in how this works out for you. I thought for sure that in order to record in a DAW the AH as a processor, you have to use an instance of OB. Let us know please.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry, it was not sold as AI primary . . Anyway. Just to confirm it works well. It also process the audio and sends it back to AH. Not using Overbridge. BTW, I am on BigSur 11.2.2.

1 Like

Very cool. I will have to try this with my windows set up. Thanx.
Edit: So this just works for adding the AH on the main mix right?

For whatever reason my AH MK2 doesn’t appear as a sound card on macOS 11.4 in Overbridge or Audio/Midi USB mode. Any ideas why? Is it just not compatible with Big Sur yet?

2 Likes