Analog Four MKII Quiet Direct Outputs

Is it just me or are the outputs of the direct outs substantially quieter than the mains on the A4 MKII? Is there something I’m missing in the gain stage?

I have the track level and amp cranked and it’s still super quiet.

i dont have this

Ok so here’s the situation. I was noticing that not all the parameter locked sounds were playing through either. Each track was panned center. When I panned the tracks left or right, then I got all the sounds and at the correct volume. Weird software bugin the A4 it seems.

1 Like

An annoying extra discovery is that when using direct outs I can’t preview sounds in the sound browser because by default they are panned center.

They are stereo outputs. You are probably getting “phase” issues by connecting it to a balanced destination(that expect one signal to be inverted). Try a TS cable or TRS to two TS cables instead.

/Olle

3 Likes

Why are they stereo outs? What purpose does that serve? Panning? Would a person not be panning elsewhere if they are taking the direct outputs of mono voices? I fail to see the logic here. There should be a software way to turn off the panning and then it just outputs the left channel of the TRS signal and right can be ground. I can’t just conect a TS cable because I’m using a Behringer X32 mixer which only accepts XLR inputs and all my aux inputs are being used by effects (including taking the main output off the a4 and using it as an effects send via the fx in and main outs.)

Essentially right now the way the software stands the direct outs are unusable in my setup. Which is disappointing because I THOUGHT I finally had a live set planned.

I’d also like to add that TS cables are not a solution because there is a computer here with a horrendous amount of EMI, and monitors as well so I need balanced connection.

2 Likes

And the other half of the users that are asking why the Rytm outputs that are mono don’t pan on the individual outs. There is not one correct solution here.

6 Likes

I mean for me having the ability to make the outputs mono would solve my problem. I can’t imagine why you’d want to pan on the synth if you’re outputting to a mixer. Guess they want to plock the pan or use trigless trigs but i imagine that matters less for drums than it does synths. But every drum machine on the planet has mono outs so it really weirds me out that it isn’t the same here for the discrete voices when fx aren’t also coming out the direct outs.

2 Likes

Just FYI you can get TS to XLR cables…
There’s a couple different wiring schematics but the above is usually the correct one for most cases…

4 Likes

Yea but it’s irritating cause these cables in the length I need aren’t cheap and I’ve already spent the money in these ones. Not to mention a mono/stereo switch in that software is just logical.

1 Like

I’m not sure it can be solved with new Os settings though.
In your case I’d try to solder a TRS to XLR with mono sum…

I’d to do the mod for A4, and I admit I still don’t know what to choose between stereo or mono.
I think I’d do mono sum, but I still don’t know with or without resistors ! (@enryo :wink:)
http://www.rane.com/note109.html

1 Like

@sezare56, when you try to sum two outputs with a cable you are in fact directly connecting those two outputs, similar to plugging an output into another output, this is in no way good and at worst can cause damage…

From your linked article:

Yeah but I have a stereo to mono headphones adaptator I soldered and the sound seems…mono. :slight_smile:
Maybe better with resistors, I’d like to compare.

I’m still aghast that they are unbalanced stereo outputs. I mean I thought the whole ethos of splitting that cv outs was to use the extra size to provide balanced outs.

I think the software would solve it if it sent the signal to only left or doubled it so it was simultaneously on both left and right.

Hence the resistor comment. Resistors ensure the signal flow is only one way.

The signal is stupid sometimes ! :smile:
And if the original signal is mono ?

[confused reply removed- thought this was about the Rytm]

1 Like

[confused reply removed- thought this was about the Rytm…]

1 Like

edit: added quote

says the ar outputs are mono. youre always quick to be negative.