Analog Four MKII Quiet Direct Outputs

Diodes control flow, not resistors. Resistors only allow a certain amount of voltage through.

1 Like

Exactly. There is literally no purpose to a stereo direct out. If you wanted stereo panning, keep it in the main output or use overbridge. You can’t even hear the effects through it…

1 Like

Lfo on pan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But it’s a mono signal. If you want stereo effects you could get them from the mains. Like every mono synth without effects in the world has a mono output. My polysix, mono output. I pan on my mixer. I do effects on my mixer. In fact, i am using the effects input of the a4 as a send return for my polysix and modular. That’s the live goal. But now it’s ruined because I don’t have the option to make what should be a mono signal by default, a mono signal. Not to mention it being stereo means it’s unbalanced which makes it susceptible to rfi and emi interference. Illogical on all planes.

1 Like

Check inside. Maybe you can cut right channels, solder a switch…:sketchy: :tongue:
I’d choose the best mono cable solution (left or right only?, mono sum?) , and play music.

There is no best mono cable solution. If you go from ts to xlr you’ll turn the cable into an antenna. The solution is a software mono switch that hard pans the audio output (can’t just do it on the voices because the sound manager, browser, sound locking and previewing is all affected as well).

Also it’s not reasonable to expect me to build or spend a bunch of more money to solve a problem that’s easily solved in software and honestly should have been in software in the first place. I see the current design as a huge oversight, as if no one would ever plug the direct outs to a mono input on a mixer that has xlr only inputs.

I’m not sure about that with a short unbalanced cable.
Maybe if you hard pan the signal, it will be hard panned for fx and main. Just a thought.

You ever place an unbalanced cable near a studio monitor or computer?

I don’t know why you’re arguing so much when there is such an obvious and easy answer and there is a pending software update happening anyways for the new overbridge. It would be nothing to add it to the changes.

I’m using unbalanced cables very often, as a guitarist. I don’t kneed a radio. Fun to sample. :smile:
I try to find an ok solution, even for me if I do the mod for A4.

Guitars also use a di box to go from an unbalanced to balanced signal so…

You ever plug an unbalanced guitar signal directly into a house system without a di box? Ground hum city. The mixer I have is a foh style mixer.

http://m.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital/X32-PRODUCER/p/P0AWQ

Also the trs to two ts example @Olle had given is not workable. I did this with the AR mki and the result was very noisy.

Ah ok, I’m not an engineer, but from what I’ve read it is resistors that are recommended when summing to mono to stop signal flow feedback between the two signals.

1 Like

Maybe YOU have a ground hum problem in your setup (). Most of musical intruments, non professional audio gear are unbalanced. Do you plug a DI on each one ?

You can work with reasonably short unbalanced cables. I recorded a band with 16 unbalanced cables from mixer to recorder. No particular hum.

Why are you still posting. It’s obviously an issue for me and you’re not helping. I’ve heard the emi interference on unbalanced cables from the magnets on my speakers. And from my computer. Balanced and shielding fixes this. I don’t care about what works for you. I’m just asking elektron to do the right thing and give a mono option in the software. Your input is not helpful or wanted. Please stop replying.

1 Like

What they are referring to is using a resistor so that the summed output matches the voltage of a single outputs, so it doesn’t overload the inputs.

1 Like

If I want. I was trying to help you to find a solution.
Did you help someone on Elektronauts ? :sketchy:
You have a problem with your unpractical expensive mixer or whatever, so you ask Elektron to change Os only for you ? :smile:
Pan your sounds yourself.

3 Likes

Not just for me it’s a design flaw.

1 Like

Also if it was JUST panning the tracks themselves there would be no problem at all. At first I thought that’s all it was. Until I tried to do a sound lock and it was panned center and I couldn’t hear it until I tried to pan. And then went to add sounds to the sound pool on the fly during a jam session and couln’t hear ANY of the sounds in the browser/manager because they are all panned center so had to guess which sound I was adding to the pool and then audition once the trig was added and then was plocked to be panned left. It isn’t just me being obstinant, it’s a monumental pain in the ass. And every cable solution provided won’t work. In the example of excluding a pin I’ll still have issues because it will only be picking up the left channel and with everything panned center by default i’ll still suffer from the same problem as before. As was discussed in this chat a summing cable won’t work as it will mess with the impedance causing issues.

You can’t have a ‘left channel’ if you are only tapping one side of a stereo feed - you can only tap a mono signal and presuming you don’t use panning on the track then it’ll be fine - no need to sum/merge etc - simple TRS to dual TS splitters are easy to come by or make - just drop the ring between a TRS to TS and it’s all fixed - expecting Elektron to work on this is unrealistic - it’s also very clear the outs are Stereo (as they were on the AK and discussed on here re A4 mk1 DIY track out hacks)

This really is a lot of fuss about a very simple matter to fix with very basic cable juggling or trivial adaptors - the ones Elektron make are good but you can get them way cheaper

Even this type may suffice

2 Likes