Elektron woes

In hindsight, that feels obvious…

I don’t know why that solution didn’t jump out prior

He’s got only xlr inputs on his mixer which is why I was wondering about the type I posted above…
A TS to XLR… -Elektron woes

So do i!

I actually use TS to XLR cables.
I suppose it depends on the mixer but mine handles the signals fine. Same principle. They’re going to be unbalanced either way out of the Elektron.

34 PM

9 Likes

Yeah, try this. It sounds like it should work.

It’s clear you’re the only one with a phasing issue on the stereo outputs and you’re uninterested in understanding why. You should sell the A4 and move on.

2 Likes

With all due respect - this was all covered in the thread I linked right at the top

It really should have been merged as it has descended into a bit of a farce, just like the other and now we’re covering identical ground

There are solutions, but not the solution the OP wants (which Elektron will not deliver imho)

This is a basic misunderstanding about the product specs - there are ways to work around this at the small price of a bit of mixer gain - done

There’s also a thread (or a few) about OB delays !

puzzling, but it’s hardest to understand why a box of that quality would simply gather dust, but each to their own

3 Likes

I know exactly why. I don’t need your input.

1 Like

honest question. how often are you auditioning sounds? in a live situation couldn’t u just have all your sounds etc memorized and know exactly how it was gonna sound before u bring them into the mix ?

With all due respect, I don’t feel like you’re actually reading what I’ve posted objectively. In the original thread, I was asking for Elektron to give an option for a mono out. During the course of the thread, I gave up on that and was trying the solutions people suggested without success. Your assumption is that I don’t know what I’m doing, but that’s not true. I detailed the issues that arose while following the suggestions provided by the community and elektron support but you chose to gloss over that. I’m not exactly sure why. I’ve never had this kind of issue with other devices with stereo trs outputs. Just this one. Probably because something is done differently on the way the stereo outs are handled compared to other devices. Just a thought.

Anyhow, as you say moot and irrelevant because I’ve given up on that solution. The purpose of this post wasn’t to open up this discussion again. It’s to state that after 2 years I’m tired and to voice my general disdain for the company’s direction and the state of it’s customer service and quality control. This is the purpose of this thread and the other minutia was to describe why I feel that way. I’m allowed to be upset with the company, as so many other people are.

I find it interesting how much attempt there is to silence complaints on this board.

Yes, but when I’m creating I audition all the time. Live isn’t an issue because everything will be automated and I would be using performance knobs and macros.

No one is silencing anyone. It’s just clear that you have a misguided expectation that the L/R sides of a stereo output should be out of phase or something bizarre like that (at least that what you stated earlier in this thread) and that’s enough to understand that it’s your issue and not the device’s. If you want to go on and on about how you think things should work then expect more comments trying to help you find solutions or correct your misunderstanding. You always have the option to just move on, especially since you’ve decided the A4 doesn’t work for you.

I still need to try this at home, and maybe I’m just dumb. But if the sounds are playing in the center, why are they out of phase, instead of just being identical in both speakers. Is it inverting the left signal in relation to the right signal, like it’s treating it as though it’s a balanced mono signal, BUT is stereo at the same time or something? This makes no sense to me.

1 Like

Can you audition through main outs as a work around?

It’s obvious you weren’t actually reading what I was saying and just chose to attack instead.

I dug into the history a bit more here… the problem is seriously because you want to take unbalanced left and right signals into balanced XLR inputs? How the flying fuck is that Elektrons fault?

1 Like

That’s how it started. I’m doing as instructed by Elektron, and using an insert cable, or a splitter cable, and getting the same result.

edit: I’ve also posted pictures of the two types of splitter cables I’ve tried using. The insert cable in the aux ins, and the y splitter into the XLR. Both yielded the same result.

edit 2: this is what the back of my mixer looks like

I think you’ve found your solution with @AdamJay’s suggestion. Try that cable out. Everything else doesn’t really matter at this point. Hopefully, this will get it working for you.

4 Likes

That makes no sense, it’s not our concern and you’re neither silenced nor complaining about anything wrong in any case if this was even plausible - you’re just demonstrably inflexible about listening to solutions that don’t fit your preferred outcome

You haven’t tried what I posted a month ago - it would be fine in every regard, but even then you display a lack of willing/understanding on this in the posts below - it’d be fine except a modest correction to gain the signal to what you believe you’re missing - but even then it’s all academic, the voltage out could have been any value, you may need to add gain in any case (now there’s a bit more noise that you’ll never notice in all likelihood )

Drop the ring and there’s nothing to ‘phase cancel’ and if there’s no pan after pan is fixed in a few presets then there’s nothing to complain about - you’ve done the best with what you have if the mixer plays ball with an unbalanced feed

3 Likes

You have to record one track at a time!?! Must be awful!

1 Like

In your post you suggest using a splitter. Also, by your own admission as long as it doesn’t pan there is no issue. The problem is that panning is variable in presets, in the browser and on the tracks. You say that I’m ignoring and not trying your suggestion, I’m telling you I tried it (the insert cable into the aux in bipasses the balanced/unbalanced conversion) and had issues. I can hard pan to get full normal signal, but then I run into the issue of a drop in amplitude while monitoring, or the signal completely disappearing depending on the type of sound. For example, a kick dropped substantially in amplitude in the center, while a pad only dropped 3db (normal pan law stuff). Not a workable solution. I suspect, this is because it’s not dropping the ring, as you described, it’s splitting it to another channel, but BEFORE it gets split is where the issue is occuring. I think @AdamJay’s suggestion is better because at least the drop in amplitude would be consistent. I know none of this makes sense theoretically based on what we know and are taught about audio signal but I did practical tests and this is what is happening.