Analog Four MKII out now!

Just picked one up from Perfect Circuit. I have to say I’m really impressed so far. Sounds fantastic! The new layout / design feels and looks great. Everything I’ve always loved about the MK1 remains but logically enhanced and improved. Well done Elektron!

1 Like

Coupled with the MPC Live, I’m into the new MK2. Cool sounds. It’s almost Halloween :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2017-1017-a4-tester

Some outrageous A4Mk1 and AK used prices just now. One of them plus a Heat is coming in under the price of a new A4Mk2. Now that seems like a very tough call to make.

2 Likes

I’ve never been close to considering an A4 for real, until now. But now, I’m like “You had me at hell.” Which was almost the case.

The A4 always sounded great, but in my ears a bit vanilla. Great vanilla, the best kind, but all the same.

The MKII has much more character - again, in my ears. A lot closer to an SE synth, touching the realms of the Moog. It just commands a lot more presence.

The increased size is a huge benefit. It seems the Rytm and A4 were always designed for a larger dashboard, and now that they have it, they come into their own. If the OT MKII is a charming update, but offers an equally strong case for hunting down an MKI, I’d say the contrary is true for the A4 MKII. It’s so different in so many areas, whatever they’ve done has suddenly peaked my interest for real.

Since I’m a one box guy, this causes problems for me right down to an existential level. Dealer’s not helping either, offering me all kinds of sweet deals to talk me into it :slight_smile:

Now, mind you, I’ve got no serious time logged with a A4 or an AKeys, so my comparisons are mainly from the impressions I’ve hade over the years with the previous instruments, and the idea I’m getting when I’m playing the MKII now. It’s very much an emotional experience, based on what I feel when I play it.

2 Likes

I ques i am the only one here
who likes the sound of mki better :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I get where you’re coming from and I’ve not even had s shot of the MK2. Something very appealing about it. What I’m trying guage is whether a MK1 plus AH will get me there with similar vibes but fundamentally, the raw tone differences are more pleasing to me with the mk2.

This is the height of hipster mentality but I really like even just looking at my OT2. Gives me the warm and fuzzies. I get a strong feeling that the MK2 would do likewise.

1 Like

But is it really out now?

1 Like

It is. Mine arrived today. Can’t wait to get home.

3 Likes

Yep.

You should have a go at the MKII first. The difference is clear, but I can see how the old gen A4 is preferable. The new one just leans closer to what I like. But it’s not clearly better, just different.

1 Like

Im with you.

2 Likes

Why?

Do you like KFC original or the other flavours?

If I’d hesitate to compare here, previous A4 is more Dave Smith. Current gen A4 is more Studio Electronics.

1 Like

I like fresh food, also I prefer to eat animale that had some kind of good life.
Why?

And never been at KFC

2 Likes
3 Likes

One of my favourite movies!

I even own it on Laserdisc ha ha

2 Likes

Not so much about the KFC.
More about the Original vs the newer flavour. Insert any food here.

1 Like

A comparison that makes sense. You prefer either or. None’s obviously better than the other.

2 Likes

I also like the sound of the MKi a lot. i do not think it can sound raw like many DSI synths though…
My understanding is that the main difference in terms of sound between mki and mk2 is the overdirve circuit.
The Mkii overdirve seems to mimic the mki’s when you go into negative values (see Cuckoo’s video).
that is why i feel the mkii is better. it can do the same as mki, and more!

1 Like