Analog Drive Price Drop

Absolutely killer!!! Those are some top notch distorted tones to my ear. Way to go. I’m in. Can’t wait for mine.

Sam

1 Like

Mine just got in. Gave it a quick run with some synth basslines. Some different distortion flavors compared to AH, but not drastically different. Which is better is really subjective and will vary with source material.

I can get some heavy crunching out of my AH too. Don’t forget the dirt parameter in the filter section. That adds a lot of balls to it.

I might record a comparison demo later tonight.

2 Likes

Totally. Incoming levels may influence.
Tests should be done 100% wet, but DRY/WET mix is one of AH strengths. AD is dirtier, which can be interesting, but it can get muddy, not easy to equalize, even with post eq. Better for one type of signal, not mixed signals, IMHO.

Here 's my comparison using a Circuit Mono Station as source, with a bit of delay after the distortion. Because acid bass has to have delay :wink:

I start with dry signal, then cycle through the distortion types clockwise, starting with clean boost. End with dry again. I’m riding the output level to compensate for the inherent loudness loss in the higher gain types.

Gain is at 100%, EQ etc at neutral. AH filter disabled.

AH dirt is at 100% too. It wouldn’t be a fair maximum drive comparison without, I think.

7 Likes

Dirt is an additional filter’s distortion isn’t it?
Not fair…:wink:

So many things to test / compare !
For heavy distortion on harcore kick I think AD wins.
I have to test my new Rytm alone first!

1 Like

It’s a drive boost after the distortion and before the filter, but still works when filter is disabled, so I think it qualifies for the test :wink:

1 Like

My AD just arrived ( I’m in the uk )
Delivery was slightly under a week via ups.
It came with uk plug lead though it’s a normal lead / psu socket like other elektron boxes.

1 Like

Got a notice just now and will pick up mine in an hour :slight_smile:

great to see this thread flamin‘

btw. I think it’s the same distortion core in both units because if you use the AD with soft digital pad sounds, scrolling through the 8 types and reading the description of the AH circuits you can easily adapt all the names and attributes to the AD.

it’s really just written for dumbass guitarplayers and the AH sounds more like synthnerd talk :nerd_face:

I still can’t believe that the AD dropped from 400 to 89 bucks over time. Bought one for 400 and sent it back soon after to get an AH. Cool pedal though.
I’m wishing for the Octatrack drop down to 300 bucks. :star_struck:

1 Like

Some circuits with same name sound different. I guess not the same components.

AD is still $222 stateside :disappointed_relieved:

forget the names just the clockwise order of the circuits.

I would also bet there are different components between AD and AH…and those specifically being capacitors with different values. Guitars and their pedals do well to have a cap that has a tighter filtering range (smaller cap value) whereas synths and final mixes need a larger value cap to cover more of the tonal (frequency) spectrum. A smaller value cap filtering a smaller frequency spectrum will have higher fidelity within that spectrum which I’d think is a major difference in what we might hear AD vs AH. The more refined ear (not mine) might hear this in the posted examples when focusing on different instruments within the mixes…just thinking as I re-listened to @sezare56 absolutely suhweet distorted groove.

1 Like

Even more different. Names make sense.
Btw the way AD’s Harmonic Fuzz is AH’s Round Fuzz equivalent (OCTAVIA FUZZ type). Not the same order. Not the same sound.

This thing brings the TB-03 to life. Didn’t realise how important distortion (whether subtle or harsh) was to the classic 303 sounds we know and love! Worth it for this alone, makes it sound so good! Also ran it as a send from the OT to crunch up some drums and sounded great. Bargain for the price :smiley:

3 Likes

hhmm. by comparing the list and order in the manual i don‘t think they‘ve changed anything except the missing filter and such.

why should they source something different?
i think AD has been a thing while developing the AH. maybe they’ve tested the inner circuits with a Guitar and such. BTW. the AH Trailer has a lot of guitar sounds etc

Check again then. :slight_smile: Not the same order. Sound really different.
@dtr, what’s your opinion?

1 Like

at least I can confirm that the description of the AH circuits and the chosen words match the soundexperience while feeding the AD with pad sounds and dreamy textures. and iam listening to every change in sound while turning through all different combinations possible on AD. maybe in a different order but def. deeper than other Overdrive pedals.

maybe it‘s because I‘ve missed the Elektron way of Overdrive.

someone has to mention that the Gain knob is just there for letting more Audio into the circuit, you need to Balance the input and take care of the output. otherwise nearly every circuit sounds the same in High High Gain settings except clean boost. Gain and Level are essential for sculpting on AD, EQ forms the Body of the Sound.
Peace

1 Like

Sorry too busy for this sort of analysis :wink:

AD is now in my guitar rig and i like it!

1 Like