Analog companion on a budget

Ms2000 FTW!

1 Like

…the most sturdy little metal tank, truu analog synth, mocking the 303 superconvincing, almost better than the real thing and beyond hands full on twiddeling sonic companian for all kinds of genres out there to find…
if u got something that can spit out midi…spit it at this little fella…

it’s even mocking the originals famous sequencer flaws without having it’s own sequencer…
like all midi notes with velocity beyond 120 become an accent note…nerdy stuff for non nerds…truu analog sonic talking as it can only be…small but huuuuuge…

4 Likes

great machine (i have two), but it is what it is — 303 clone, which does no other kinds of sounds.

so yeah, it’s cool if you need 303-style acid machine — but won’t do a „generic“ synth job.

This purchase would be more of a “test-of-analog-subtractive” so I’m more into getting something with a lot of bang-for-the-buck that I can sell without big loss if I find that it doesn’t suit me, so polyphony is not very important (and I’ll keep the DN anyway).

1 Like

Behringer then. K2 is very capable, neutron too. Semi modular will enable you to learn more about the signal path.

1 Like

Micromonsta 2 is extremely capable and flexible. Yes, it’s poly, but you can use it in mono mode.

In fact, it should work well as TWO mono synths (separate midi channels) with the added bonus of wavetables and (limited) FM and a very nice arpeggiator.

3 Likes

Do you want an Analog Poly Synth or an Analog Mono Synth?

1 Like

I think they’re saying that they got a Digitone because their Digitakt couldn’t do polyphonic.

So I’m assuming, given the low budget and suggestions of only monos that OP is looking for a mono.

2 Likes

This is a Polyphonic Synth, though.

2 Likes

Oh yeah.

I’m an idiot, ignore me.

Carry on.

1 Like

Maybe.

Never, you’re too funny.

1 Like

And very good looking.

6 Likes

Korg monologue

-better built quality than the volca
-nice little OLED showing you the waveform
-lots of fun

3 Likes

Another thought that just occurred to me is the Arturia Minibrute 2 / 2s, which seem to have come down to not far off Typhon prices, certainly sub-400. The 2s in particular is a very flexible semi-modular analog mono with extensive controls and a great sequencer, if you get on with the Steiner-Parker filter.

1 Like

Agreed, Monologue deserves to be on the list, sounds great and is way more versatile than it seems.

Can be picked up second hand for peanuts, too.

3 Likes

Roland Boutique synths are rather good, IMO.

• SH-01a is really heads on, rather simple but you can still go pretty far.
    4 voice polyphonic is nice to have, and there is even a little sequencer on it.
  • JU-06a seems as good.
  • SE-02 is a beast.

Or you stretch your budget a little bit and treat yourself with a second hand Analog 4 mk1.

6 Likes

Micromonsta2 is digital, but it doesn’t matter. It’s awesome.

3 Likes

Errr … I suppose you’re right, but it’s ‘analog’ in the sense that it’s subtractive synthesis. It’s virtual analogue.

Been looking att MM2 too, but I would like a bit more hands on device I think.

I’ve very tight on space, that’s why I’m leaning to small devices.

1 Like

MM2 is pretty tweakable considering its size.

The Digitone has enough subtractive synthesis features that it moves into the territory of a lot of these smaller, more inexpensive devices. At times it can sound more analog than an Analog Four…

3 Likes