Analog companion on a budget

As a relative newcomer to the hardware world I’m looking for some advice on analog (sounding) gear to complement my kit.

Some background: In early 2020 I decided to get a Roland MC-101 to get away from the computer. This was my first ever synth hardware gear. While the MC-101 sounded good, I didn’t like it’s limited sound design (I don’t like spending time on browsing presets, but prefer sculpting sounds from scratch) and it’s menu-divy workflow, so last summer I traded it for an Elektron Model:Cycles. The Elektron workflow was my cup of tea and the directness of the Cycles was super fun, but soon I started to feel “trapped” in the limited sound palette which made me long for a Digitone.

Time passed and in the end of the year I somehow bought a used Digitakt :grinning: This is still my favorite thing; I’ve used it a lot as a monosynth and think it’s super versatile, but it lacks in the polyphony department. So a couple of months later I bought a Digitone.

While the Digitone is in many ways great, I struggle using it to design “analog” sounds and sometimes feel it’s too complex. So now I’m thinking that I maybe should look into getting an analog (sounding) subtractive synth as compliment.

I’m on a quite low budget so I’m looking into the following:

• Korg Volca Keys
  • Korg Volca Bass
  • Dreadbox Typhon
  • Behringer Crave
  • IK Multimedia Uno Pro Desktop

What’s your thoughts about these? Do you have any other recommendations?

Dreadbox Typhon is the coolest from your list, definitely. I hear Crave is kind of underwhelming, Behringer has much better options for just a bit more money (K2 or Neutron would be my choice). Uno sounds boring to me and the Volca series are nice if you have more than one, but on their own they’re quite limited.

4 Likes

Second hand Bass Station 2. Best bang for buck by a long way

Screw the volcas and Beris, save a little more cash and get a kickass synth.

13 Likes

Honestly, the Volca keys is probably one of my top budget synths. I haven’t owned one but I think it’s sounds amazing for what it is. It’s the one thing I’ve GASed over for the past years but never gotten around to purchase

4 Likes

Typhon would be my pick from the list too, but around that price I’d also consider an SH-01a (or JU-06a, which can be used monophonically) or, since the Crave is in your list, the Behringer 101 clone - though all your choices seem to be smaller desktop units, so that might be a bit too big if this is a factor. The 01/06 give you classic control layouts and very good Roland sounds - they might offer what you liked about the MC-101 in a more usable format.

1 Like

If you can, I’d go for the Moog Mother32 that Behringer copied for the Crave instead. It’s pricier, but the build quality and the sound are IMHO (having tried both) much better on the Moog. Wasn’t that impressed with the non-pro Uno for sound design, so I’m not sure how much better the Pro will be. The Typhon is excellent, great sounding and great fun. Part of the question here is how much you care about being able to store presets. The Mother32 (or the Crave) can’t do that at all. That’s a deal-breaker for me, but not at all for many other folks. If it’s not for you, something in that type of semi-moduoar space may be great for really learning analog synthesis. You might also look at some of the other small semi-modulars.

Mother32 is 3-4 times more expensive than some synths on that list, so probably not what the OP is looking for.

2 Likes

Erica synths bassline db-01 if you want something comparable to an anvil to the face

3 Likes

Yup! But the quality difference is IMO big enough to make it worth mentioning, and as Behringer don’t make it clear that it’s a copy, the OP may not know. I’m sure they can decide for themselves what their budget is.

OP did, and said it on the OP itself. It’s low, around 200-300 euros tops based on the equipment he listed.

Behringer is a good, possibly the best option in that price range.

I’d say the Typhon - it sounds quality and the effects means it can really stand apart within mixes from the DN and DT.

I also have a DN, bought a few weeks after release - I love it, my favourite instrument - and it took me well over a year to learn it (I still am too). It really can cover a lot of analog sounding ground really well. There’s loads of YouTube videos on how to achieve this, with psuedo saw waves etc. Briefly though, just messing about with simple operator and waveform patches in low registers and adapting unison can produce some fantastic ‘analog’ style bass sounds that, for me, rival, the typhon. Nothing can replace the sound of open analog oscillators, but the DN can do a pretty good impression with limited programming, with the added benefit of being so much more flexible than any on your list (in terms of plocking etc).

2 Likes

Thanks for all (quick) replies!

I’m actually leaning towards the Typhon but I’m a bit wary about it’s workflow regarding menu-diving. On the other hand I’m limited in space so I guess I have to give up a bit on direct controls.

I’ve watched quite a lot of tutorials on the DN and deep down I know I should spend more time with it to really explore it’s soundscape, but sometimes you just want to make music and that’s where I think a more limited (but “distinct”-sounding) device would fit in my “exploration” of the hardware world.

Your list of considered options are all mono-synths, but you’re coming to them from a poly-synth. Would you consider virtual analog polys (second hand)? With those, you should get a range of sound design and harmonic abilities similar to the DN, but with the subtractive synthesis workflow you crave(:tm:).

Typhon or Uno Pro.

in particular, these two have good quality built-in effects.
you did not tell much about your workflow, but this might be important if you’re planning to jam / play live.

Ms2000 FTW!

1 Like

…the most sturdy little metal tank, truu analog synth, mocking the 303 superconvincing, almost better than the real thing and beyond hands full on twiddeling sonic companian for all kinds of genres out there to find…
if u got something that can spit out midi…spit it at this little fella…

it’s even mocking the originals famous sequencer flaws without having it’s own sequencer…
like all midi notes with velocity beyond 120 become an accent note…nerdy stuff for non nerds…truu analog sonic talking as it can only be…small but huuuuuge…

4 Likes

great machine (i have two), but it is what it is — 303 clone, which does no other kinds of sounds.

so yeah, it’s cool if you need 303-style acid machine — but won’t do a „generic“ synth job.

This purchase would be more of a “test-of-analog-subtractive” so I’m more into getting something with a lot of bang-for-the-buck that I can sell without big loss if I find that it doesn’t suit me, so polyphony is not very important (and I’ll keep the DN anyway).

1 Like

Behringer then. K2 is very capable, neutron too. Semi modular will enable you to learn more about the signal path.

1 Like

Micromonsta 2 is extremely capable and flexible. Yes, it’s poly, but you can use it in mono mode.

In fact, it should work well as TWO mono synths (separate midi channels) with the added bonus of wavetables and (limited) FM and a very nice arpeggiator.

3 Likes