Analog companion on a budget

Do you want an Analog Poly Synth or an Analog Mono Synth?

1 Like

I think they’re saying that they got a Digitone because their Digitakt couldn’t do polyphonic.

So I’m assuming, given the low budget and suggestions of only monos that OP is looking for a mono.

2 Likes

This is a Polyphonic Synth, though.

2 Likes

Oh yeah.

I’m an idiot, ignore me.

Carry on.

1 Like

Maybe.

Never, you’re too funny.

1 Like

And very good looking.

6 Likes

Korg monologue

-better built quality than the volca
-nice little OLED showing you the waveform
-lots of fun

3 Likes

Another thought that just occurred to me is the Arturia Minibrute 2 / 2s, which seem to have come down to not far off Typhon prices, certainly sub-400. The 2s in particular is a very flexible semi-modular analog mono with extensive controls and a great sequencer, if you get on with the Steiner-Parker filter.

1 Like

Agreed, Monologue deserves to be on the list, sounds great and is way more versatile than it seems.

Can be picked up second hand for peanuts, too.

3 Likes

Roland Boutique synths are rather good, IMO.

• SH-01a is really heads on, rather simple but you can still go pretty far.
    4 voice polyphonic is nice to have, and there is even a little sequencer on it.
  • JU-06a seems as good.
  • SE-02 is a beast.

Or you stretch your budget a little bit and treat yourself with a second hand Analog 4 mk1.

6 Likes

Micromonsta2 is digital, but it doesn’t matter. It’s awesome.

3 Likes

Errr … I suppose you’re right, but it’s ‘analog’ in the sense that it’s subtractive synthesis. It’s virtual analogue.

Been looking att MM2 too, but I would like a bit more hands on device I think.

I’ve very tight on space, that’s why I’m leaning to small devices.

1 Like

MM2 is pretty tweakable considering its size.

The Digitone has enough subtractive synthesis features that it moves into the territory of a lot of these smaller, more inexpensive devices. At times it can sound more analog than an Analog Four…

3 Likes

How about Modal Skulpt SE? Virtual analog, sounds good, small, can be battery powered, cheap, but might be finicky without app

It’s also much easier to edit than you think. It’s very easy to jump back and forth between a modulator (LFO or ENV) and the thing its modulating (VCF or OSC) … one button push. You don’t get lost in menus moving from one to the other.

2 Likes

That might be stretching it a bit, but indeed you can definitely go into virtual analog territory!
Operator A with slight feedback and rate = 1 for saw or 2 for square, crack A depth a bit, slight LFO on pitch and filter, adjust to taste, and enjoy :slight_smile:

There you go with that humor again :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’ve been looking into that one too, but I don’t want to use a companion app :slight_smile:

Understandable. What do you think about Electribe 2 Synth version? Could be found under $300 for used units.

1 Like