Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

Hard to touch it on a computer screen. :wink:

Iā€™ve seen some folks that have complained about it in vidsā€¦but they still have the protective screen on :thinking:

Ohā€¦and donā€™t use the piano roll to plot triggers. The sequencer page is infinitely better. No missed presses there. Iā€™ve actually become a lot more accustomed to it tho.

1 Like

The effects dropdown menu arent that bad, but could be solved better. Tabs on top to quickly jump between them while editing would speed things up.

But edit melodies in the pianoroll is seriously annoying. Specially with my sausage fingers. Been thinking of getting a stylus or something to help with thatā€¦

1 Like

I read on GS some people like to use a stylus for piano roll editing

And srsly, did you ever use the piano roll edit on 1000/2500/JJOS? Now that ish is TERRIBLE to use. The one on the current MPCs runs rings on the old, hands down, even if it feels subpar by modern standards.

3 Likes

Iā€™d take anything Andy Mac says with a grain of salt. Hes always overpromising when it comes to currrent MPCs.

5 Likes

The piano roll Iā€™m not a big fan of and I try to avoid it. I never been a fan of the piano roll even in my DAW. That being said the best way to use the piano roll is to use the selector tool and data wheel. Itā€™s actually a useful feature for moving notes off a little. I agree it could be improved though. The effects I actually like especially since the update that brought the Air effects. The quality of the effects are insane! If you are applying effects per sample, it can tedious but per program itā€™s very quick. Thereā€™s a short cut right on the main screen. I use the MPC in a traditional way and all the extras is all gravy. The one main issue I have is the midi input, itā€™s not multitimbral!!! I hate that.

3 Likes

Actually the stylus works good. Selector tool and data wheel, thatā€™s the key.

1 Like

I know you are 100% right about this BUTā€¦I kinda dug the ā€žpiano rollā€œ on the MPC1000 with JJOS 3.x and actually DID use it more than the piano roll on my MPC Live. :slight_smile:

Not disagreeing with you at all, more like marveling at the fact that I do like that one better despite its severe shortcomings :slight_smile:

I guess my gripe with the piano roll on the MPC Live would be resolved if they would introduce pinch & zoom as a consistent gesture across all tools in the piano roll, but Akai CLAIMS that some big company in the Valley holds an exclusive patent on that particular functionalityā€¦which obviously is totally false but OK.

Oh boyā€¦ that lack of multitimbral midi input, bidirectional midi-over-usb, AND midi mapping of global functionsā€¦grrrrr Akai, grrrr.

The strange thing that just wonā€˜t go into my head isā€¦why? Youā€™re doing everything else, why skimp on these basics?!

But youā€™re right, the air effects are really great, and of course it is a very good machine when one gives in to its idiosyncrasies.

How does the selection and editing work on the MPC1000? Ive also thought that a selection via q-links would help on the new Akai platform.

Not shure how they should implement multitimbral midi input. Since the new platforms could have more tracks than midi channels. At least on the Force that i use.

On the MPC live you get two midi inputs, thatā€™s 32 midi channels. Maybe implement an option to assign any midi input channel to any track up into you reach your limit. Also an auto channel like Elektron of course.

Akai mpc one

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: FaderFox EC4

Ok and fair enough if you prefer the old one. My 1000 always had iffy tacts on the buttons, so maybe that affected my judgementā€¦ But still, for my usual use case on it - editing a single note in an otherwise flawless ā€œtakeā€ - the pianorolls of old felt very clunky. One my live and force, I just rectangle that sucker and nudge start/end with the datawheel, done.

However, I would never even consider ā€œmousing a melody inā€ with the current piano rolls, that would end in disaster. I prefer playing my lines in anyhow, if I want to ā€œprogramā€ a melody in I am better off using an elektron box for that :nyan:

1 Like

So obviousā€¦didnā€™t think of that. Thatā€™s a great idea!

I have this ā€œsquishyā€ pen that werks on an iPhone. Iā€™m gonna try that out!

Good call man :+1:t6:

Yeah, it got to be something like that. At first i also thought about how Elektron solved it, but quickly realized it would be a little more to it on the AkaiĀ“s. Time will tell if they do something about it. From what ive read, only the MPC4000 has multitimbral midi in.

1 Like

For the MPC to truly be the center of a modern studio this needs to happen.

1 Like

Question re: that vid I posted here. The guy makin beats on the MPC60ā€¦
He samples the records at a higher speed to save on memory then slows it down in the MPC. Sounds awesome.
The question: does the old MPC handle time warp better. I donā€™t know what the ratio difference in BMP between 33 and 45rpm, but I saw a vid where they warped samples on the One (i think itā€™s the Loopop vid) and warping didnā€™t seem to be able do go too far before getting all aliased.

Not that we need to record shorter sample times with all the memory we have now. I just liked how it sounded.

1 Like

I for one def prefer 1000 jjos to the liveā€¦ quicker workflowā€¦

It doesnā€™t do it at all. :slight_smile: