Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

In the Loopop video at 30:53 he says 20 minutes.

EDIT: I’m assuming that’s at the default 16bit rate, so it’s likely less if you change that to 24bit.

1 Like

This thing can do everything a DAW can do except stream audio from the daggone disk.

-frustrated potential customer

2 Likes

I bet the disk streaming comes this year. In the Sonic State video the Akai dude all but said it was coming. I’m sure there will be limitations around it, but will be interesting. I’d imagine there would be better support over USB than from the SD card reader, but only guessing based on prior discussed specs of the reader.

Man I hope not.
the USB on the One is 2.0, unlike the Force/X/Live.
I’d want to use a 128GB SDXC 150MB/sec, but I could manage with an SDHC 32GB 95MB/sec

I hope so too, but IIRC I thought I read that someone said the SD card reader in the X and Live was capped at 22MB/s. Could be entirely wrong on that though, so just random internet specs and gossip. That’s why I mentioned USB being better supported, but the X and Live also have much better options with the internal SATA drive.

1 Like

Good to know, in that case a Transcend Jetflash 710S 64GB that I used in my Qu-Pac should suffice, at around 50-60MB/sec.

I just gotta use very low profile USB sticks after a bad and expensive accident where I snapped one off in an old MacBook Pro.

Disk streaming probably was never intended and now they are scrambling to shoehorn in this feature. What do they do, stream from the usb so it can be cross platform compatible or stream from the internal hard drive? The latter option would leave the MPC One out in the cold.

1 Like

Will that single USB-A port accept a powered hub?
Realizing that I’d want more than just a drive in there, but also a MIDI controller.

I feel like I’ve seen in some videos that that isn’t possible, but maybe that was the Force’s USB ports? At this point I’ve absorbed too much information, sorry.

Wouldn’t be surprised that if it is supported, disk streaming might have some issues when using a hub. I might have to show myself out on this gear.

Sure, totally a possibility. Or they could limit streams from any of the SD cards to X number and then Y number from SATA. Same with USB. That way all the devices get some level of support for it. Interestingly in the updated manual the Force, Live and X specifically say SDHC for the SD card type and the One says SDXC as well. It’s possible the reader in the One got a spec bump. I got a very fast SDXC 128GB card from Amazon, but only because I had reward money and I wanted faster writes from my PC when transferring samples using a supported card reader.

Complete speculation on my part… you shouldn’t believe or take seriously anything I say in regards to MPC unless you can verify it yourself. I’m barely three days in on a hopefully long journey! :smile:

2 Likes

Quick test: Yes, my powered Anker USB 3.0 hub works. I plugged it in (has a bunch of dongles attached), powered the Akai up, then inserted an exFat formatted thumb drive I’d been using. The Akai read it and loaded a drum program I created.

Loopop video mentioned he was able to use a non-powered hub too. Obviously all unsupported but seems to be working.

3 Likes

On latest loopop video he mentions that you can have a USB Hub plugged to it.
I haven’t watched all yet but it seems the most comprehensive video on this machine

https://youtu.be/sRqmvFlg6QA

3 Likes

Thanks for confirmation @sl1200mk2 and @texbrown .
Hopefully Google’s crawler picks up this info for other folks wanting to know and searching the web for it.

I think I’ve just watched too many videos on both the One and Force over the last week that I can’t even keep the things straight that I’ve actually learned.

2 Likes

does it come with fat pads or regular? I have always upgraded my MPC devices with fat pads from MPCStuff. They come with Corx (stickers) you can apply to help prevent the 2x triggering. You can also buy them by themselves if you like the standard pads.
Highly recommended…

https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-one-stuff/

1 Like

Thanks- Good to know! They are def not fat pads. I’m definitely going to upgrade the pads eventually. I’m a bit confused how the pads they are selling for the live are the same fit as the one.

How come every piece of gear is expected to do absolutely everything.

If we were to go by that reasoning, you’d only need one piece of gear…you’d kill the overly crowded studio vibe.

Perfectly amazing tracks were made on Akai’s with 28mb of mem and stupid slow load times. The One, the Live…are so sick. Who needs thousands of samples. It’s just weight.

6 Likes

I’m with you, though what makes Akai’s equipment so “complainable” is that they tend to leave out essential features in otherwise feature packed devices. Plus, their UI/UX design on the X/Live series, at least on the touchscreens, is quite poor for the functionality at hand.

But of course you are right, an eg MPC Live is crazy powerful compared to even an MPC2000XL (which back in the days was the ‘modern’ machine people were killing it on :))

3 Likes

Yeah, I had the MPC Studio and upgraded mine, after i sold it and got an MPD controller for some DAW control, I upgraded those as well. I now use the MPD for both the DAW and the Digitakt and it works great for my basic needs. I’m thinking maybe those images are placeholders and they are busy working on the new size for the One - behind the scenes and are taking orders in anticipation of them being done soon… total guess tho, as I am not associated with them, just a happy customer. I’d hit em up and ask, they have always been super helpful to me in the past. good luck, i look forward to hearing further experiences on this new machine.

I don’t think people realize how powerful this machine is. People complain about the screen, are you kidding me?!! The screen is awesome. I use the MPC live like I used the older MPCs and the difference is ridiculous, so much easier to get things done. For playing drum programs and chopping samples this thing kills. I ran into a problem with the audio recorder and I don’t mess with time stretching at all but I never worked that way anyway, so no big complaints there.

9 Likes

I’m guilty…I complained. But I didn’t give it time. I take back those complaints.
And I fully agree, this machine (I have Live) is so powerful. I hadn’t given it the time before.
It’s great! The One seems awesome too. Either or are awesome…depending one what extras you want.

As for using what you got. This beat is awes…MPC-60

Finished beat is right near end.

4 Likes

Have you tried using the piano roll at all? Man, that bit of the UI is TERRIBLE. Or loading & using effects? Four dropdown menus per effects page, impossible to control multiple effects at once. There must be a better way to do this (I can think of a few).

You’re absolutely right, for sample chopping and finger drumming, the MPC Live/X are really great! I do think the complaints are warranted though, at least to a degree - when it comes to certain UI/UX decisions, the interface could still be very much improved. That said, whoever complains about the touchscreen as such should have taken a better look at the device prior to buying it :).