Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

:man_facepalming:t6: ha ha ha

well that dude is recording a 33rmp at 45rmp and slowing it down to save on Rec Mem.
so what I meant wasā€¦ :slight_smile: ā€¦time stretch

I dunno why Iā€™m asking, when I can just freakin try it myself. fuuuu, lazy asshole

Itā€™s called pitch

1 Like

It just pitches the sample down so it plays back slower. Those old MPCs canā€™t change pitch and duration independently in realtime.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:t6::man_facepalming:t6::man_facepalming:t6:
im tired

3 Likes

Patiently waiting for mine to arrive in the UK. I canā€™t freaking wait, it ticks all the boxes. Reading your posts make me even more impatient! Anybody else in the UK waiting for their One?
Was told early April by Gak music. Not too long now anywayā€¦ hopefully!

3 Likes

That 60 pitching samples down, you aint getting that sound without one hehe

Those old boards had a sound to them right

1 Like

ā€¦thereā€™s the emulator in the Live [I assume the One has it as well] in the effects section.

yes there is but it doesnt sound the same, unfortunately.

Iā€™ve honestly never tried it.
tuff to emulateā€¦redefine with what you gotā€¦right?

The Akai effects are not that great, imo.

What is great is that you can bounce stems to the SDcard and import into ableton. I much prefer this over using overbridge. I wish the RYTM did this. For now I just multiout and accept there will be a little jitter/latency.

Iā€™ve been down pitching records on the Live and itā€™s really good. Manually pitching samples will always sound more natural than time stretching. All you need to do is pitch your sample to the desired tone then loop it and adjust the tempo until it loops the way you want. This could lead to interesting results, if your loop is ever so slightly off the main tempo you could get funky grooves going.

3 Likes

ā€œnot that greatā€ is major understatement. The reverbs on my bronze-age daw running Cubase-Audio on mac OS 7 sounded better. At first I was blinded by the numbers, 64 pads in a program, 4 inserts on each pad and no noticeable latency, wow. Except thereā€™s no free lunchā€¦you pay with (lack of) quality. You can get creative and find ways to use them, but I will need a couple of fx boxes to make my ears happy.

1 Like

Are you talking about the Air effects? Those effects are really good. Imo

8 Likes

I mean, the whole pitching things down for that soundā€¦ isnā€™t that one of the main draws to the SP-1200? That warped but in a good way sound? I wasnā€™t a big hip hop guy nor have I ever used any SP devices, but I thought the pitch manipulation was the main thing people sought after.

1 Like

Yeah, under a certain bitrate / samplerate, when you pitch down a sound there isnā€™t enough information to keep the fidelity, which causes aliasing / ringing. The SP12 / 1200, Mpc60, S950 are famous because they produce a very pleasing aliasing (ā€œcrunchyā€).

If you want that same effect cheap and fun, find a second-hand Amiga with a sampler cartridge. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This happens when the audio is 13/12 bit range. Thatā€™s the sweet spot. Iā€™m sure you can do this with a Mirage sampler too, but hereā€™s the quick and dirty way to do it.

If you are sampling from an audio file on your computer pitch it up starting at +2ST. Then print the audio.

Now you can put the file into another track and use a bit crusher plugin. Start with the 14 bit setting and go lower as needed. The lower the bit rate you are emulating the more noise is being introduced. Think about mixing these sounds when thinking of the big picture. Then when audio hits the bit crusher plugin pitch down -2ST. Now you can hear that aliasing. If you are adventurous start dropping the Sample rate KHz but just a small amount.

Also I have a BIM which uses a real 12 bit converter chip. I pitch the sample up and record back into ableton. I pitch it down in my recorded track. I know SP1200 guys swear by +8ST and pitch down but itā€™s better to start gradual and work your way up. Thereā€™s so many sweet spots when pitching a sample up and pitching it down.

One last gem if you are sampling from vinyl you can pitch up the record. Then pitch it down with a bit crusher on your chain.

8 Likes

also fun/relevant:

3 Likes

I guess there is a lot of personal taste and particular use needs that goes into me saying the MPC effects suck. TBH, I donā€™t find a huge difference in quality between the ā€œAirā€ fx and the ā€œAkaiā€ ones. BTW, I didnā€™t like Air instruments and FX when they were bundled with Pro Tools either. The graphics of the Akai fx at least interface much better with the 4 Q-links.

Maybe I need to dig deeper and find a couple of algoā€™s that do work for me. Somehow everything sounds ā€œdietā€ (just the fx, the MPC in itself sounds great). In the meantime I got me a little Zoom pedal. Nothing high end by any means, but at least it feels full-calorie.

1 Like

May just be some placebo stuff going on but I found the MPC FX sound better as sends/returns versus inserts.

I have no idea what thatā€™s about but you have the flexibility to use them on return tracks.

1 Like