AFX disciples

I love AFX music. But I am not yet to the point where I would be able to create music inspired by his.
Some people have totally made theirs RDJ’s sonic signature, though.

Please drop here some albums that are the work of Richard’s disciples :pray: or artists with similar sound signature (if possible with bandcamp or soundcloud links)

11 Likes

Rhys Celeste (RIP) is Microlith and if you don’t know them yet you got some homework.

14 Likes

I have just discovered Sibirsky Snikers this morning, couldn’t believe they could qualify their use of TE PO-12 “virtuoso”. But it actually fits pretty well.

7 Likes

Part of me (listener) thinks it is pretty cool to adopt a style so closely, part of me (artist) thinks it is better to not do so close but use it as a jumping off point.

Anyway, thanks for posting!

Edit: Like Behringher, a clone but not quite.

9 Likes

EOD. Everything I listened to from him so far is very Analord-esque

Dave Monolith

Bogdan… RDJ stated this album had a huge influence on Druqks

7 Likes

Rx101 ?

There’s a fine line between ‘blatant afx copy’ and something that is in that realm of experimental electronica

It also depends which afx style they’re inspired by … the screechy bullshit tracks or the nice melodic stuff.

U-ziq
More of a similar sounding artist than a disciple I’d say.

3 Likes

Bochum Welt - Closer to the SAW 85-92 vibes than any other I found

3 Likes

John Frusciante as Trickfinger also seems to have listened to the Analord EPs more than once :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Astrobotnia (aka Aleksi Perala)

4 Likes

It’s a fine line for sure.
Me as listener - I can’t get enough from that stuff, so I am happy when I find something high quality that nails these sounds and vibes

Me as artist - I am very influenced by it, and try to copy some parts of it (mainly the sounds) for sure, but I’m never able to get close enough anyway - so it never will sound like a copy I guess and hope :slight_smile:

He’s had so many different styles anyway. So most of these artists only adapt one specific style of his, but never the full picture

3 Likes

Agreed! Only discovered U-zig a couple months ago and absolutely fell in love with Lunatic Harness.

1 Like

Venetian Snares is definitely a disciple of Aphex Twin. Any “drill and bass” artist really, as Aphex kind of came up with dismantling breaks into atoms and rebuilding them into crazy frankenstein beats.

No album that I know of but clear and gorgeous AFXvibes - but their own thing - from Sun Goddess Visitor

2 Likes

The way I intended it, disciples are not doing covers, unlike those bands dedicated on covering glories of the seventies.
To me they analyze what they like in an artist, and recreate the sonic signature with their own gear, creating new tracks, putting their own sensibility in their work.

Let’s widen this to artists with similar sound signature ^^

3 Likes

Steinvord
Heorge Garrison
Record label ”occult research”

Thats worse than com truise

11 Likes

No, it’s not :slightly_smiling_face:

Subjex

Normally can’t stand afx rip offs but this guy makes great tracks in that sort of sound world:

5 Likes

Definitely check out Expert Knob Twiddlers by Mike and Rich. It’s a classic.

5 Likes