Affordable hardware that generates unique sounds?

If you want “unique unique”, these sound boxes are amazing and will give you lots of sample fodder for the Blackbox:

4 Likes

You already have the microfreak but for those who don’t - get it! i think it would be the king of the under-$300 unique sound generators.

2 Likes

How about the Nord rack 2? I was offered one for £300

I couldn’t agree more. Paid 250 € for a new one. That’s an insane price for what you are getting. Best purchase ever.

Being so versatile, the Microfreak makes me hesitant to buy something like the Cycles or Volca FM. Leaning more to stuff like the Microgranny or that Soundbox.

1 Like

Acoustic sound boxes like the Leaf Audio one are very cool. Folktek also makes one that’s a bit different (and more expensive) called the Luminist Garden. You can watch what Trent Reznor is doing in this video as an example of what you can do with these kinds of instruments. Bring out the hammer!

2 Likes

If you are into diy have a look at this, a small drone box inspired on the Lyra 8 developed by forum member nyppy

4 Likes

Really cool, but I suck at soldering.

He is going to do a limited number of builds too…maybe you should contact him if interested.

2 Likes

Nord Micro Modular ?

2 Likes

A few complete units are available. :wink:

Went for this one, gets shipped next week. Thanks for the tip, @Seta !

I already lent a Lyra 8 from a colleague a couple of months ago. But I found it a little too big and a little too expensive. This is a perfect compromise!

3 Likes

The volca modular looks fun

3 Likes

I second the Red Panda Particle if you’re looking for granular. This thing is awesome and can turn any sound source to granular territory!

1 Like

Can’t beat the axoloti for whacked out stuff

4 Likes

and for €250 one can get 3 Axoloti + 3D-printed cases.

2 Likes

Yep, you’d be surprised what you can get out of the Shruthi oscillators and mix modes. I built my XT with the 4pm filter and I’m always surprised how unique and alive it can sound. You can even get duophonic sounds with the duo oscillator mode.

2 Likes

I love mine. Lotsa knobs, sliders for the envelopes. Very smooth drippy filters. Fuckin love it.

2 Likes

Happy camper! Elmyra just arrived today.

7 Likes

Elmyra & Microfreak! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hrmmmm, wait for one to show up used in the US or buy from the EU…

1 Like