Affordable hardware that generates unique sounds?

I am really loving my current compact setup of external reverb pedal, Blackbox & Microfreak (and sometimes Neutron). Microfreak has a lot of bases covered, but sometimes I would wish I could vary a bit more.

So: what are little boxes that made you wanna jam? And that are not providing bread & butter stuff?

Max budget: $300/€250

(And yes, I also have an iPad but specifically looking for knobs to twist)

1 Like

Same boat here. I have £300 to spend.

Was thinking a used microfreak and a used microgranny, so will be watching this thread…

1 Like

In that budget (more or less):

Volca Drum / Sample
Model:
TD-3
Novation Circuit

2 Likes

Microgranny also caught my attention. Especially with reverb is seems to shine

3 Likes

Model:Cycles !!!

6 Likes

Yeah, definitely. There’s a few fw versions around, and I’m unsure if it’s best to get the most recent revision or an earlier one.

OOS in the uk, from what I can see

Ah yes

1 Like

Not knobs but sliders, SH-01A. More of an analogue sound but not sure it would fit in the mix of a microfreak/neutron. Maybe a Monologue?

I think the Microgranny is the winner here because of the FX.

Have you checked out the Uno Synth (well within budget and can get some SH-01A sounds)

1 Like

I don’t know for sure, but I think I am looking more for granular/gitchy/ambient/weirdo stuff. What I like so much about the Microfreak are the easy modulation options, for example, that can bring you to really cool places (especially when combined with the sequencer).

3 Likes

The Uno Synth can get pretty weird and ambient like:

I checked out the Uno Drum, but returned it. Too plasticky and a dramatic noisefloor when powered over usb.

2 Likes

Haha we are very similar - that’s my issues with them.

1 Like

To be fair I’ve never owned one so was not aware of the shortcomings. Good to know!

Septavox by Critter Guitari sounds lovely, but if I were to order it from the states the import charges would be huge :pensive:

I guess it would depend on whether one needed presets (repeatability) or not-

The obvious preset choice would be the Model:Cycles at the top of your budget range…
Also Volca Drum for textural noise sounds. Or maybe a Nord Drum 1 or MI Shruthi?

No presets- Grendel Drone Commander pedal and Doepfer Dark Energy I/II/III are worth looking into.

Since you have an iPad already, I would strongly recommend FieldScaper mapped to a knobby midi controller via CCK… just that could keep you busy for a long time.

3 Likes

maybe get an fx box rather than another sound source. Many experimental boxes available like chase bliss mood or red panda particle or tensor.
model cycles would be another good option in this price range I reckon. Fm synths are always good for weird sounds

edit: yeah many many ipad apps are great for that stuff in particular granular apps

6 Likes

Yeah you can’t come close to an iPad for granular stuff.

Maybe a interface and midi knobs for your iPad? With an interface, the pad is an FX dream.

3 Likes

That’s a great option too! Gonna look at those. Bought my first pedal recently (Boss RV6) and it has really been very cool to use.

1 Like

maybe a PreenFM 2 ? Fm goodness for ~300€
https://vandaal-electronics.com/product/assembled-preenfm-3/

or
modal craftsynth 2.0

3 Likes