Ableton Push 2 is a gummy, sticky TPE mess

After cleaning with gumption:

4 Likes

After cleaning with gumption:

3 Likes

Gumption! That’s genius. Definitely gonna try this. But with new Gumption… not the Gumption that has been used on the toilet bowl

1 Like

I wonder if this would work on elektron digitone buttons? Would be fiddly. Might be worth a shot.

I think it would, I would probably put some tape around the buttons so it doesn’t get down into the cracks though :slight_smile:

Id probably take buttons off… clean, then stick back on.

Just tried a sticky lint roller and ended up with more of a mess than before :grimacing:

I’m UK based and used this… took about an hour but did the job. It’s a little patchy but I gave up in the end as I just could not be arsed, but I could most likely get it a lot smoother with another go. At least all the stickiness has gone. It was driving me insane.

6 Likes

Looks good! I just had another couple magic erasers delivered because I couldn’t find anymore in the stores.

Hopefully I’ll finish removing the last little bit soon.

1 Like

that pink stuff looks dangerous

1 Like

:grinning: it does look a little like Semtex

This topic is gold. Having the same problem with my Push 2. I’ve had some success using Goo Gone on the front side of my unit but I’m really worried about doing it on the back where the ports are. It has all the writing on there that describe the ports and the logo, etc. Will this stuff wipe that all away too?

Anyone got any experience with that? Cheers!

Can confirm pink stuff works good
Only regret it’s hard to get it out of the screwholes, should have covered them up before going ahead with it

Super nice to be rid of that gummy coating tho!

1 Like

Yeah, my Push 2 has been feeling 1000 times better since. That sticky surface put a real downer on things, but The Pink Stuff has breathed new life into the experience. Maybe Ableton should sell it on their site (or do some sort of collab). :grinning:

1 Like

And it’s ok even the back side bit where the USB port and all that is? As there is machine printed text on that side and I’m worried all of this stuff will rub it off. I’d be gutted if the printed text goes away too along with the rubber rubbish :sweat_smile:

Yeah, check the pics I posted a few posts up of the back of the unit. You do get a slight fading of the type and branding, but it’s still evident. I actually thought it would just be cleaned away with the rest of the gunk.

I’ll post a few more detailed images later. It’s better to give you that context, as I’d hate to recommend and it doesn’t work out as planned.

1 Like

Thanks so much! Just I’m so worried to do it you know. I love this device and don’t want to mess it up! Ableton support has been pretty useless so far on helping me out, too.

1 Like

No problem! So you can see from the images that you do get fading on the branding and type, but it’s totally free of the sticky mess now which for me made it worth while. I understand your predicament, and there will be some compromise if you go ahead. I just used a micro fibre cloth, with some water and The Pink Stuff.

It actually looks a lot rougher on those images than it does in real life. I’m really happy with the outcome, as I knew the resale value would have already been affected by the sticky crap. I thought I didn’t have much to lose, so why not give it a shot. :grinning:

5 Likes

That’s amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to upload those photos!

1 Like

I picked up a Xone K2 on the cheap knowing it was sticky, took it apart, gave it a good scrub with a wire pad and some glue removing solution and resprayed it BMW ‘Le Mans’ blue I had laying around. Pretty happy with the overall result, defiantly an improvement. Would have been better if I could have sanded before spraying for a better finish:

TACKY & GRUBBY ORIGINAL

AFTER SCRUBBING

UNDERCOAT

TOP COAT

**FINISHED! **

4 Likes