Ableton product speculation

any rumors for product releases next month? I kind of want a push 2 but I’m getting that typical “possible next version gear fear” complex…(don’t judge me, I’m sure you’ve had it too) :smiley:

Yeah I’d hold out on on a Push 2.
Got a feeling something is brewing in Ableton headquarters

2 Likes

A battery powered Live machine like a standalone Push 2 on steroids, allowing you to start a project on the go and bring it back to the studio ? Sort of an MPC Live, but actually implemented correctly, that would be amazing. I mean, I hope everyone at Ableton understands how much people would be all over that. One can dream :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m thinking Ableton might want to get into some of this portable device action. But I don’t think it will be the entire “Ableton Live in a box”. Maybe something much simpler like the Circuit, where people can load up a few Ableton instruments and samples, tweak and sequence on the go - get a decent start on a song, and then import them into Live when they return to the studio. Hopefully they would continue with the great industrial design/styling of the Push 2. I would buy that.

3 Likes

I like the MPC style stand alone idea, I personally would like a push device with moar knobs, slightly larger screen and less squares. Either way though I’m fiending for some push action at the moment

1 Like

what they could do in this regard actually is a proper push-like groovebox with implementation of max/msp, the way organelle makes use of pd. on the other hand this has nothing to do with live/push ecosystem itself thus very doubtful to my mind. they’ve got plenty on their plate about live10, it’s just started, push2 has enormous potential in its development, i don’t see any signs of any new products frankly.

4 Likes

I personally doubt Ableton would do anything standalone. an iOS app, like a port of impulse/simpler/operator with a limited clip matrix, exportable to the desktop DAW maybe, but a dedicated standalone device, not so much

7 Likes

Would be odd for them to release Push 3 when Live 10 came out not so long ago - I suspect another year before we see the next Push iteration.

I can’t see them going into standalone territory. I don’t think the market is there for a hobbled Live experience that wouldnt handle vst’s and with limited track count. The MPC Live is it’s own thing, the standalone Live we would get would be disappointing. Like @tsutek I could see an app. Think Korg Gadget but with some of Live’s devices. You can go and work away on an idea then export into Live 10 with all the midi/automation/etc in place and finish things off in there. That’d be pretty cool to me.

3 Likes

I don’t know, I still see the potential for an Ableton Live style Circuit-type device. Something under $450. Very limited. Maybe a small screen with device visualizations like Push 2. 4-6 rows of grid pads for sequencing. 8 knobs. Basically just load Ableton instruments and samples, no vst. Battery-powered groovebox, a song-starter device. Import and finish it off in Ableton Live. I think that could be a huge hit. Okay, maybe just me.

But, I agree. Ableton takes their sweet time with development. I don’t think we’d see that in November at Loop, or anytime soon, if at all. Just a wish of mine basically.

Ableton have stated on many occasions they will only have 2 products Live and Push. I also doubt anything new til at least next year, plenty of life within Push 2 yet.

Now that there is a USB-C connector on the iPad we might see some real pro apps on the iPad like Logic Pro, Live, Cubase etc. in the future… … … Overbridge…

3 Likes

If they release anything, I hope it’s a push mini with more accessible knobs

3 Likes

Yeah I love Push 2 but they could definitely shrink it down quite a bit while still retaining its functionality

4 Likes

I just want PUSH 3 to have a decent built-in audio interface, MPE capability, and more connectivity for outboard hardware and other peripherals; especially considering that computers are coming with fewer and fewer ports these days.

Cheers!

1 Like

STILL NO COMPING

seriously, we’re daydreaming about a new push, or some other all in one box. but STILL NO COMPING

ugh. love Live anyway :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

oh please no standalone for a daw, it has no sense in 2018…I wish they just keep on improving the push user interface.
I’d love Push 3 in a more compact format, powered by USBC, and with a bigger screen and a data jog wheel or control surface to edit midi.

2 Likes

Agree that standalone push would make no sense for Ableton to release. Their business is the DAW and that is going nowhere.

I personally would like a Push mini, 16 pad version similar to the Mikro but not a replacement to the push 2.

Or also a keyboard version of the push with maybe a few pads, similar to the Novation one.

The idea is great but in practice I think that very few companies have great audio interface drivers. I mean, that are really reliable. As an example Just Look at the elektron drivers… it’s a mess. for sampling duties on push it could be just ok though, but I wouldn’t drive a PA with it.
IMHO it would not replace a proper audio interface, dealing with audio inputs and outputs with minimal latencies and without audio issues.

1 Like

Looking at the keynote, its obvious that this indeed will be the future for iPad. If the new model can cope with a 3GB PSD file with 100+ layers, its only a matter of time before Logic gets ported, followed by other DAW manufs.

I am going to upgrade to the new iPad pro next year, no doubt about it. Best thing is, my existing Crimson 3 will still work with it!

2 Likes

Well, yes, the “idea” is great, if I do say so myself (smirk). That was the point I suppose. I’m not one to speculate as to the likelihood of it ever becoming a reality. I’m speaking only from the perspective of the end user, not the engineer. And for me, computers are going backwards: i.e. fewer and fewer onboard ports and facilities, more and more flimsy dongles and peripherals… Bah! This is why I strictly use hardware, both onstage and in the studio, whenever possible.

At any rate, it seems silly to me, to have a device the size of push plugged into a USB hub, meant to control a glorified sampler/sequencer, but with no comprehensive way to get audio or MIDI in and out of the computer without the use of yet more third-party peripherals. Perhaps I am being idealistic, but the potential is there, and I would prefer it to be thus.

Cheers!

1 Like