Ableton product speculation

Would You wish the DSI tempest had an audio interface? :scream:
I seriously hope that ableton will perfect what they do best rather than producing a fantastic controller with a dubious audio interface.

4 Likes

Okay, now youā€™re just being argumentative and deliberately absurd. The Tempest is designed to serve only as a standalone analog drum machine; it is neither a sampler or a DAW controller, and has nothing to do with the process of recording audio whatsoever. How you have managed to turn this simple if-only into an ambiguous point of contention is beyond me.

I personally think that Maschine took a step in the right direction in this regard. Now, whether or not they did it well, and whether or not Ableton (or someone else) could do it better, should they even try, frankly has nothing to do with the sentiment of my comments or this otherwise idle and purely speculative conversation.

Have a nice day!

3 Likes

Its silly to think that computers are going backwards specially if the argument is that there are too many dongles. If anything, the phone that we carry in our pockets is more powerful than any synthesizer or sampler.

3 Likes

Yes itā€™s the opposite really
Synths and samplers are going backwards, definitely not computers.
Anyone not utilising the ridiculous power of a modern computer for audio is mad imo

4 Likes

OMG, I was clearly speaking only about the loss of onboard connectivity, not the advancements or potential of modern computing power. Again, it was an idle comment at best, and Iā€™m entitled to my opinion. Iā€™m sorry I ever engaged in this pointless conversation. Iā€™ve been using Ableton for years as a recording artist, Iā€™m a full-time touring musician, I have a comprehensive understanding of music tech in general, I have championed a lot of new tech over the years, and I know what I like. Save it. Iā€™m out.

Cheers!

Fwiw I think itā€™s totally plausible that Push 3 would have audio io built in. Would be perfect for gigging and sampling.

1 Like

Maybe not directly a Push 3 as they were looking for a product designer this summer.
But I can see them wanting to do a smaller push 2, why not with an oled screen.
It still would be a push, so no contradiction with the fact that they want to keep ableton and push as their main products.

They had a job offer this year for programmers experienced in embedded linux programming (aka e.g. linux running on ARM processors). I can totally see them making a stand alone Live device. My best guess to make it portable is to use Pushs intuitive workflow, but cut the rows of the 8x8 grid to 4x8. Also shrink the size around 20%. It would have the size of Elektron MK1 boxes but with intuitive grid and nice display.

But as they searched for such a programmer just this year, I expect a release in 1-2 years.

2 Likes

Wow, @JohntheSavage is getting a bit of a grillingā€¦

I struggle to understand why anyone wouldnā€™t want a rudimentary audio\midi interface in Push! Like the one in Maschine, you donā€™t have to use it. And for a device that is forever showcased with a laptop folded and hidden away it makes huge sense to have something on board for those who like to move around more. It would also get you that little bit closer to the standalone pipe dream.

I also agree on the connectivity part too. I like my Dell XPS but this is the first laptop Iā€™ve had in years where I have lacked ports and had to fanny about with dongles (often unreliable). Hopefully as USB-C hits the mainstream Itā€™ll improve stability (at least in my use case).

3 Likes

I was reading the geekbench scores for the new iPad vs MacBook Pro. Unbelievable raw performance out of the new iPAD by comparison. Obviously missing the Mac OS side of things but does make you wonder if either:

A- developers will take up the mantle and weā€™ll finally see the big DAWs in app form (and things to truly back up the likes of those ā€œXbox qualityā€ claims)
B- if weā€™ll now see a Surface like approach soon with the iPad range

I have a 2 year old XPS thatā€™s still going strong and an iPad Air which I just realised is about 5 years old now. Really is quite tempting to make the upgrade to a Pro perhaps even with a new Mac Mini at base camp. Interesting and exciting times - really feels that the musical potential out of the iPad range has increased a notch or two.

For me having an audio interface integrated in push wonā€™t replace having a proper audio interface like my RME (driver stability, input/output count, converter quality, total mixā€¦).

Having a midi interface on push wonā€™t substitute to my ERM multiclock to properly sync external hardware.

So for me integrated interface in push equals buying one more hardware that doubles the functionality that I already have, without matching its quality ā€¦

Dell xps and macbook pro sacrifice connectivity for the sake of portability but nobody forces you to buy it.
you have plenty of other great options! Dell pro, lenovo, hp ā€¦ all filled with ports !

To be fair, I donā€™t think he was implying that someone had forced him. Rather that this was a drawback on the XPS. And pros might make up for that con.

2 Likes

My understanding is that they are thinking that computers are going backwards these days regarding connectivity (see previous posts). Everybody can think what he wants and i donā€™t judge ones thoughts, i just have to respectfully react because i think the opposite !

Plenty of computer options these days with lots of connectivity, usbc and thunderbolt 3 are the most universal connectors ever made, compeletely backward compatible! ā€¦
Insane cheap cpu powerā€¦
Great time for computer music actually

2 Likes

Practice what you preach! :wink:

Of course making music on computers has never been better but, Iā€™d still argue that my past experiences of connecting peripherals and things has been easier. USB 1-3 used the same connections for years. Now we have this mish mash of ports while things settle.

Thatā€™s just me and my experience though. Not worth arguing over and clearly not adding anything to the Ableton speculation!

Itā€™s thereā€¦ just not like Logic or ProTools. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s any good, but itā€™s more efficient than most realize. Not being an apologistā€¦ just pointing out a better way in Live than most useā€¦ most people create multiple tracks out of takes, and cut/paste.

There is a better way:

NOT MY VIDEO

Cheers.

1 Like

yeah but thatā€™s a work around. itā€™s better than nothing but itā€™s no logic x

Was actually thinking Loop must be soon. Ableton always put some interesting stuff on. Will be keepinh an eye on this one

Theyā€™ve only ever used Loop to launch one product - the 1st Push. Nothing has been announced at Loop events since then so I donā€™t expect any news.

2015 was the first edition so they didnt have much to announce since then. Ableton 10 was announced for Loop 2017. Theyā€™ll use it to announce future product, quite sure about this. They have more visibility during their Loop events than during the NAMM.
Also this year theyā€™re exporting their show to Los Angeles, quite a big city for music and audioā€¦