Ableton Live 11

I would like to upgrade from 10 to 11 myself. I was avoiding that because of all the bad experience that guys reported but there are a few things that really make my pocket itch.

If I pick up a Live 11 license, how flexible are they with authenticating more than one laptop?

I have a few PC laptops and one Mac, but while I don’t expect a “site” license from whatever sale I’m unsure how strict they are with activations.

I don’t really see a reason not to upgrade now, even my ageing core i5 is running 11 just fine, these last few updates seem to have bought about some decent system resource optimization, live 11 loads faster than it’s ever done for me atm and the only crashes I’ve had have been plugin related and they’ve been few and far between… no horror stories here…

1 Like

1 Like

That works! I will need to deprecate one of my laptops to make it down to 2, but I could work within that.

Wonder how much more a “secondary” license would be.

Ableton is very musician friendly with their licensing policies, I have it installed on 3 machines, Mac mini and 2 notebooks without a problem. Maybe they have some kind of algorithm to check user behavior or it’s because I buy Live since version 3. If you bought a new Mac you can ask for another activation etc.

That is just another reason why I love Ableton. Spectrasonic does the same I believe.

5 Likes

Yep. Currently I’ve got live installed on 3 computers. I ask for a new key when I buy a new computer, but didn’t uninstall on the old ones.

1 Like

while we’re talking about Atlas…
Any idea how to stop a loaded atlas sequence (stop atlas from playing) while Ableton is playing?

That’ll be the On/Off switch at the top of the Atlas Sequencer window. :grinning:

Edit: ‘top of the sequencer’ = about half way up the whole Atlas interface.

Does anybody know if it’s possible to allocate 2 midi inputs ONLY to a midi channel in Live 11?

I have an external synth- I want to use my Keystep 37 to play the notes in and my FaderFox EC4 to control CC parameters. But, I want them exclusive to the one midi channel/external synth (because I will have other midi channels Rec Arm’d and want to have them allocated to their own exclusive input devices/channels).

Anyone know a way?

For some reason the take lanes and the external instrument arnt working for me. External instrument not picking up the inputs so have to go straight into an audio track which means lots of latency. Have looked and looked for a solution but can’t find one, sure iv missed something obvious. Having issues with my laptop as the battery is on its last legs, not sure if that would affect it. Anybody else had similar issues?

Currently on hols so can’t confirm this but you should be able to set up 2 midi tracks separately taking their respective inputs from keystep/faderfox and specify the midi channel you want.

Then on those channels send the midi to the external instrument track. Have that instrument track set for midi all ins but limit the channel number.

2 Likes

That’s button definitely works.
I’ll rephrase:
When hosting Atlas 2 in Ableton, if a sequence is loaded, the Atlas sequence will always start playing when Ableton starts playing. Then you can stop Atlas.
More specially, is there a way to control start-stop of Atlas with clips in session view? i.e., Atlas doesn’t play unless a clip in the Atlas channel is paying…?

Best I can tell, I have to move the drums into Ableton from Atlas to get this kind of control.

Yes, exactly that… to get that level of clip control you need to export the midi file from Atlas and drop it on a clip.

1 Like

Apologies for the basic question… how do I assign aftertouch from my KeyStep to a Macro in a device?

Scenario- I have a Macro mapped to Reverb Decay… I want to use aftertouch to lengthen the Rev Decay, but I want to still be able to control the Rev Decay (pre-aftertouch) on my Push 2 (using the Macro knob)… is this do-able?

If you have Suite, what you want is the M4L Essentials device called ‘Expression Control’. (I just tried it with my Novation Impulse25 aftertouchto double check and it it the one)

1 Like

I tried this, it works, but it makes Aftertouch the ‘master’ of the parameter value and it’s not available on the Push 2 then.
It’s a start though, I should be able to figure out a workaround. :+1:

I’m not 100% sure but afaik the only way to circumvent this behaviour (assigned param no longer available for any other controller) is by assigning (hardwiring) the controller to the parameter you want to control from within the m4l device. I can’t concisely explain how to do this from the top of my head but it’s quite simple. U use ctlout for the parameter that you want controlled and ctlin for the controller.

You might try and create a dummy clip which automates bypass on/off on atlas, or mute/unmute for the track it’s on.

Is editing audio clips in session view possible yet? Chopping, rearranging, reversing etc.