Ableton Live 11

Yeah, likewise. I had 10 and 11 on my system for a while with no ill-effects

2 Likes

how many tracks do you get into before you notice any form of performance degradation?
With lite, I can only lay down 8 tracks, max.
Iā€™m constantly bumping into this limitation, and so it seems like it might be time to upgrade. Iā€™m just wondering if itā€™s always smooth at around 8-10 tracks, and then it starts getting hungry after thatā€¦

I donā€™t tend to use a load of tracks - I more work with trying to do as much as possible with drum racks - but Iā€™ve used more than a dozen without issues as long as I didnā€™t have more than 1 Cherry Audio synth

1 Like

Iā€™m going to watch your latest video to see if I can piece together what you mean.
I recognize we can squeeze a lot of sounds in on racks, but Iā€™m not sure how youā€™d manage different melodies using rack slotsā€¦

I currently have live 10 Lite and Live 11 90 day trial on my Mac. No problems having both. Iā€™m completely new to Ableton so canā€™t say anything about their performance really, but Iā€™d say just try the 90 day trial, see how it performs!

1 Like

+1 on the no issues with multiple versions

1 Like

I was going to do a copy-paste for your convenience but holy hell the list is long.

CDMā€™s take:

Tips for performance improvement on your computer - ripped from the CDM article.

3 Likes

Hey there folks ! Iā€™m sharing some of my Ableton knowledge this evening. I did this video for one of my Patreon subscriber, to explain how I made one of the track of my last album, starting here with the drums.

Please tune in to the chatroom during the premiere if you want to ask any questions ![!!

1 Like

Just upgraded to 11 and still this is not a thing. Or am I missing something?

I own 11.
But for production work, we have now gone back to v10 in the studio.

how come?

Not to sure what this means. If my soundcard is connected, ableton remembers. If I start ableton without the sound card connected, it says it canā€™t find it. Seems to work like expected

3 Likes

Itā€™s a problem on macs when the machine goes to sleep with Live open. On wake, Liveā€™s output will be disabled, requiring opening Liveā€™s prefs and reselecting the interface. It wonā€™t remember the interface on its own.

3 Likes

Ahh. Canā€™t remember having that issue when I used a mac, but itā€™s been a while. Thatā€™s one pluspoint for windows users then! Though mac users get coreaudio, which is a whole bunch of plus points in my book :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve never had that issue but I always quit before sleeping (on a MBP). Would be cool just to leave it running though.

I have this issue all the time. Used to have it on Macbook and now on Mac Mini. Not when Mac wakes up but just on normal start up. Sometimes settings remembered sometimes not.

A minor annoyance at best though.

Is there a way to get wavetable to retrigger envelopes in mono mode? I have tried setting the env type to ā€œretriggerā€ in its config but does not seem to do anything.

Apologies if this is simple to do, but Iā€™m relatively new to AL;

I have a track set up with XLN XO (drum sample program) as a plug-in instrument.
It defaults on the Push 2 to play as a piano/melodic part in ā€˜Notesā€™.
There are only 8 parts to XO and Iā€™d rather have it set up like a drum rack (4x4 on the pads).
Is there a way to change this?

1 Like

I think you will need a script for that. The drum rack view in ableton is exclusive to the drum racks. Ableton interprets all third party instruments as melodic, whatever their content.

I do remember doing some stuff with battery years ago, nestling battery in a drum rack, but itā€™s unfortunately lost knowledge at this point

Edit: this should work: Using 3rd Party Drum Plugins with Ableton Push - Scott Fegette

2 Likes

check out this video hereā€¦

the presenter is using battery but the same applies to XO

1 Like