Ableton Live 11

They optimized (rewrote) the audio engine for live 8

2 Likes

We should all write an email to Ableton and express our experiences related to CPU efficiency, or lack of it I should say.

2 Likes

This would be the place:

https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html

2 Likes

Yeah exactly, pretty mental.

1 Like

Thatā€™s where you go to test the beta versions. For general disgruntlement you should contact their support or bang some pots and pans on their forum.

1 Like

Whenever I wrote them a feature request or ranted, they told me I should do it there. The platform sucks so much I never bothered doing that though.

2 Likes

Thanks, I donā€™t have the time to be a beta tester though.

Hey there everyone! I made a new ā€œTips & Tricksā€ video about torturing analog drum kits in Ableton Live 11. Itā€™s going live in about 40 minutes, feel free to tune in to the chatroom if you have any questions:

3 Likes

This video was shared on the Push yea or nay thread.

Exploration of the beat probability features and other stuff that came with Live 11.

I guess heā€™s arbitrarily limiting himself to using only the Push as much as possible, and the mouse/trackpad as little as possible. At about 9 min. he shows irritation at having to use the mouse to assign an LFO.

Running Live 11 on a mid-2012 MBP with 8gb ram without problems but Iā€™m keeping the buffer size at max when not recording (which I tend to do at the beginning of a session before itā€™s populated with plugins).

I made a video a week or two back to demonstrate an experiment into non-repetitive 1 bar loops. Basically Iā€™m using round robin features allied with probability to create a loop that never loops identically. The round robins are basic in this version - essentially they cycle through 5 different hits each time a cell is triggered - but some of them are a bar long so it takes them 5 bars to cycle through the sounds and return back to the initial one. Hopefully it makes sense. The info about how to do it (from the Ableton site) is in the description

5 Likes

Iā€™m running a 2018 MBP with Ableton 11 and no glitch problems.
My sessions usually have a wavetable, some Ableton effects, some Denise Audio plugins (those kind of cause a little latency, but it also depends on the buffer size), some waves stuff. I get CPU spikes when playing and then stopping, but nothing on the audio side per se

1 Like

Is it worth hunting for a live 10 license if Iā€™m worried about performance? Or should I just move ahead with 11?
Iā€™m running a 2017 MBP, OS 10.15 , 3.1ghz i5, 8gb ram. Live 10 works GREAT on this laptop. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever gone over 15-20% CPU utilization. Iā€™m budgeted for the software, but not a new laptop right now.

Iā€™ve been messing live lite 10 and FL Studio 20 (unregistered) for months.
I keep trying to see the appeal of FLS, as I know itā€™s the weapon of choice for a number of artists I admire. But itā€™s not clicking for me.

As Iā€™m ready to purchase a full license for Live, Iā€™m hesitant about making the leap to 11. There seems to be so much uncertainty regarding its performance.

As an Elektronaut, Iā€™m interested in the probability feature in Live 11, but beyond that, I think Iā€™d be happy with Live 10 for at least a couple of years, (if I can find a license).

What do you guys think?

If the probability feature is the only thing that makes you want 11 I say go with 10. Itā€™s a little sacrifice for better performance.

1 Like

I havenā€™t found 11 to be any more resource-hungry than 10, to be honest. If anything, the additional CPU info helps me identify things that are dragging my system down in 11.

4 Likes

I skipped Ableton Live 10. Ran Live 9 on my iMac for several years, then went straight for the Live 11 upgrade.

I have not experienced noticeable performance issues, but then again, I donā€™t run more than 5 plugins at the same time. Not a power user by a long shot. I still prefer to rely on hardware for the majority of synthesis, FX, and even sampling duties.

2 Likes

You can download Live 11 for a 90 day trial and see how it performs on your machine.
You get to try out the full suite version with no restrictions.

2 Likes

Do you know if 2 different versions of Live can coexist peacefully on one machine?
I guess I could remove 10 lite, and put it back later if I have to, but itā€™s not ideal.

I still have Live 9 on my machine. I have not noticed any side effects after installing and running Live 11.

2 Likes

Yes, you can definitely run 2 versions on the same machine. I have 9 and 10 installed on mine with no problems.

4 Likes