Ableton Live 11

Hopefully in 2030… Sometimes I feel like it will be faster to program my own Live inside Live with M4L, hack Push and install A1 at the kitchen… Their tempo is super slow… Like 5bpm…

1 Like

these devices are really interesting…

check out the audio to MPE device vid…

23 Likes

whoa! thanks for the heads up

1 Like

Wow this is bonkers :exploding_head:

1 Like

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro - slightly beefy version (cant remember the specs right now) and ableton 11 runs like shit. Right now I have a track with a wavetable patch, an operator bass and some randomised sampler drum chains - and it just won’t run. Even if I freeze and mute everything the wavetable synth won’t play on its own - at max sample rate!

My computer is showing it’s age, but it’s noticeably worse than 10. I’ve found push 2 to be laggy too.

Ableton standalone @ songfestival :slight_smile:

ukrain has a cool song though

You are not alone mate, I am sitting in the same boat. It sucks. I will buy a new MB Pro this year.

yeah - I’m waiting for the M1x.

2 Likes

Yeah hope they drop it soon.

1 Like

Isn’t that just an old akai controller ?

I don’t normally buy into the Ableton synths but I have 11 on trial at the moment. Wavetable is an absolute CPU killer. On a late 2012 Mac Mini here and it chokes with more than a few notes.

Tried Repro-5 on both 9 and 11 here and there wasn’t much difference in CPU so I’m wondering if it’s just Ableton’s synths that are the problem rather than 11 itself?

1 Like

A lot of Wavetable’s presets in Live are actually instrument racks which add on other FX devices. Denoted by the .adg file suffix, even on my 2019 i9 they work the CPU. I imagine on a 9 year old CPU those would bring it to its knees.

The .adv presets however, typically use half the CPU, and perform about as well as heavy Repro-5 presets and Massive X presets.

5 Likes

it is, but it looks so silly to playback with your Ableton

It’s not just wavetable though… even scrolling push is laggy…

Live 11 = super laggy and became CPU hog #1.
I am constantly losing connection with the core audio driver because of cpu overloads.
No idea what they’ve done with it. I have a 6-core 3.0 i5 mac and 32gb of ram

5 Likes

The difference in CPU performance between Live 11 and Reason 11 is absolutely mind-blowing to me. Maybe Ableton can pay a consultation fee to ReasonStudios and learn how to tighten things up in their code.

I remember a few years back when Ableton was supposedly rewriting everything to make it more efficient, or something. What happened there? I keep waiting for that new version of Live that addresses CPU performance, but it never comes.

For anyone curious - I got a MacBook Air M1 16gb and although I get ‘visible’ cpu spikes (the meter jumps a lot) - I’m still yet to get ANY audio drop outs or audible glitches and I’ve been throwing my heaviest projects and plugins at it. I ran 10 instances of wavetable going full sustained arps and it didn’t cause any trouble… my old 2015 MacBook could barely handle anything!

Kinda about how great the M1 is but also about it handling Live 11 really well.

Oh yeah having no fans is also amazing - haven’t managed to make it throttle yet either. Woo!

9 Likes

…all this and isn’t it still being handled by Rosetta? Can only improve - at least in relation to M1 performance.

1 Like

Can we boil it down to understand the reasons for this? What do all people with glitches (with wavetable etc.) have in common? Intel? macOS? Intel-Macbook?

Sometimes I think Intel just sold us crap.

I have zero glitches. Which is a first for Live in my exp.
But on the flip side, it uses like 300% more cpu. If it hits 100%, connection with core audio driver gets lost and I have to re-enable it in prefs