Ableton Live 11

I am definitely finding that unlike in 10, if I don’t wait a beat until after the count-in the first midi notes aren’t getting recorded. And even then, they’re not always being quantized to 1.1.1 :frowning: That’s with clock set to internal, even playing a built-in synth just using a keystep…

For the longest time I never paid attention to it. One day I just start exploring it and was really impressed. The ui is a bit cold though.

1 Like

Should I wait to upgrade to 11? I have a good workflow with 10 and I use Overbridge quite a bit. DT, DN, and Heat with MBP 2018. I really am interested in some of the new features but I’m afraid I’ll run into the early bugs and kill my creative momentum.

I’d wait a month for the big bugs to get hashed out, then start the 90 day trial at that time. Take that period to see if the new features are worth it.

Personally, I’m gonna wait for 12, and pray that it will work with Mojave. And if it doesn’t, I’ll prob stick with 10 until I upgrade both my Macs to Arm offerings, hopefully a few years from now.

3 Likes

Its a bit too rough atm unfortunately. I wanna wait and test it with 11 too, apparently the AAS instruments got an update. I am gonna wait for the dust to settle with this new release before upgrading anyway.

1 Like

I’ve been using beta 11 since last nov. for me it is already more stable than 10 is. YMMV.

2 Likes

what’s your setup, computer, are you using overbridge?

Didn’t even know that it was an option, thanks for the tips. After I saw it I had hopes that I could just have a massive piano roll on a second virtual desktop in windows. Sadly the changing views put a damper on that fantasy. Will check the manual and see if there’s a way to make it practical.

Edit: It actually works pretty good after you designate which view will do what. At least when working in session mode on the main screen, will check with the other way around. At least it makes me want to buy a second screen again.

I’ve had some weird midi issues in the beta. Haven’t had chance to check in the release yet. Will do today.

I’ve had notes that trigger the piano roll on the left but don’t get planted in the midi grid itself. Or notes that should be 16ths bit end up being a bar long.
I raised it in the beta bugs but heard nothing back.

I desperately want the clip view and device view to be viewable at the same. It’s literally the only feature request I’ve submitted. Shift + Tab’ing since ‘04 ffs

3 Likes

the old M4L device setup i’d used may have been set up like that as well. hoping i can find some workaround where i’m using one MIDI channel to control all, but not sure that’s possible, as i’ve got a handful (more than 4) of other external instruments i’ll also be controlling via MIDI.
setting up like this but routing via a Blokas MIDIHub so i can control Rytm with 12 MIDI tracks but also control 5+ other MIDI instruments on a separate MIDI routing is also a possibility of course…

this double workflow option seems ideal for me as well, as i do like writing patterns on the Rytm itself, but for some songs being able to write and playback via Ableton clips exclusively would be ideal. thanks for detailing that and all of your post!

My 2017 Macbook Pro handled anything I did in Live 10 w/ 128 sample buffer like a champ… Breaking 50% cpu in a project would be rare, only getting there after using several instances of Repro-5 and tons of third party effects.

With 11 yesterday, same buffer size, made a simple sample-based drum rack beat, recorded one external synth loop, added spectral resonator and a m4l effect (Wheat) to the drum track, and the new spectral delay effect to the synth loop, with some m4l lfos on each track, and my computer practically had a meltdown.

Made another thing later in the day, with several instances of Goodhz Tremctrl on a track (a plugin which would barely add 1% cpu use in 10) and some other stuff going on but less M4L stuff, and I had to change the buffer to 256 to get Live to stop playing at half-speed.

Clearly my laptop is a bit dated by now, but I didn’t really feel that until using Live 11. I plan on upgrading in a year or so, but my copy of 10 might stay on my hard drive for a while…

2 Likes

Thanks for the insights. I was excited to upgrade (especially since it was free) but looks like I’ll be holding off at least till the kinks get worked out.

Put in a ticket for sure. 2017 is not dated imo :o

1 Like

You mean like:

?

1 Like

@LaughingAnimal:

Live 10’s Demo project on most recent Live 10 - Samples 128 - Cpu approx 34%-44% throughout.
Same Live 10 Demo project on most recent Live 11 - Samples 128 - Cpu approx 30%-41% throughout.
Mac Os High Sierra on a 2012 Mac Mini.
Maybe try the same test on your rig - from what I can see Live 11 is marginally more efficient than 10 but of course 3rd Party and M4L plugins can change all that. YMMV. You mention adding some M4L stuff - tbh some of these are real cpu crushers…

2 Likes

Thanks @JPM and @badbass . Will do some testing between versions and submit a ticket if I have any conclusive findings.

Maybe 10 would perform similar with a dozen m4l lfos modulating things. That aspect keeps me thinking of how Bitwig could be more efficient for that sort of workflow, but at least we have comping now.

M4L base lfos are fast and efficient and you can use tons of them with no real issue. Other devices vary.

For instance, one cool one I’ve been playing with live-computes a fractal (which can be recomputed via lfos live) and uses the histogram of cross sections of the fractal as filter bins to make neat sounds… that one is compute heavy (no surprise with the fractal).

https://youtu.be/IHHTa_4es8k?t=883

3 Likes

That m4l devices looks super cool, gonna have to check that one out, thanks!

The standard m4l lfo has always been resource-heavy on my laptop (which I figured I should mention, is running Mojave w/ 2.8ghz i7 and 16gb ram). Maybe I’m not supposed to use six on every track? Though honestly I want more…

I need to do some more testing and stick to Live 10 devices before opening in 11. I have also been demoing a lot of plugins lately so I could probably benefit from a reformat.

Interesting data point. I’m on i5 2.6Ghz with 16gb ram, but on windows 10, and hadn’t noticed an issue with what I thought was a lot of LFO (or live10 m4l Shaper, which can be multi-mapped all over the place), but perhaps I don’t use as many as you are… lots of devices have internal lfo as well, which are less resource hungry.