Ableton Live 11

Huh, interesting! Didn’t know…. went all in VST3 :grimacing:

1 Like

Thread for that here.

:exploding_head:

Here’s me sticking to vst3 :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I’m not sure this is how it actually works mind! I can’t remember last time I had a crash so couldn’t say

1 Like

I mean if I ever open GarageBand there is a seperate process that loads, the one that looks like a Lego. Maybe that’s doing something. I don’t always load AUs or even install them but I might have a look to be fair.

That part was just for illustration purposes to show what I want it to do. But the device itself would work on incoming real-time MIDI data. It would take single notes, record them into a “buffer” of sorts, and then send them out as chords after collecting a set number of notes. Sounds like something that could be done in Max, but I’m not really familiar enough with it to know how to implement it.

Would you be interested in more of a “strum” playback?

That seems indeed quite simple, then.
You’d need to precisely define what would trigger the “recording” and what what trigger the “play”. But yeah, that would be a nice goal to start patching in max

1 Like

Yes, the variable time frame for when the notes start and when they in realtime stop collecting and become a “chord” sounds a little vaguely defined, and I wonder if there’s a better approach that’s being ignored that would achieve the desired end-result.

8 Likes

I have a bunch of vst, also omnisphere which i dearly like, but most often i rely now on Serum + Operator/ Wavetable, i can create much more controlled layers, which are not so rich sounding, but are easier to mix.

FabFilter over EQ8 because it can be used as dynamic EQ and can show frequency masking from other channels which also have FabFilter present on them. Also the gain resolution for certain frequencys is much more accurate.

I would really like this EQ (Masking) function to be included, i am with Abelton since version 8, had a push 1, was not for me, over the years the number of external plugins decreased. Without full and easy integration, Push will feel diaconnected for me.

2 Likes

I’m getting dangerously close to upgrading from live 10 to 11, almost exclusively for the comping feature. Can anyone else vouch for this as a worthwhile reason? I guess if it’s worth it it’s worth it. I’m just curious to get another opinion from 11 users.

2 Likes

I upgraded recently, the comping is very fun, tree tone and the hybrid reverb are also wonderful. If you haven’t seen the Ned rush video on comping midi tracks, that is worth watching. https://youtu.be/XsDCUYLPTZY?si=yOD8ei8cxWWSTVhB

3 Likes

It depends on your needs.

I would not do that only to have comping as it is barely useful for me.
But the new stuff is very good, I am personally happy with upgrade from 10 to 11.

1 Like

I was really excited about the comping feature, but I barely remember that it exists. I think I just found workarounds when it was not a thing, and I continue using those because they are so ingrained in my work flow.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback derb and anokah :v:

I use them all the time since I went to 11, now into my 12th year of Ableton. But I also play guitar, bass, and sing in addition to the synth/drum programming side, and that is where it makes the biggest difference to me.

3 Likes

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but anyone know why DAWs are so cheap on Thomann? I see Ableton Standard listed for $248, which is significantly cheaper than what’s listed on Ableton for my upgrade path. Similar with Bitwig, listed about 25% off the standard prices. Any catch? I’m in the US, btw.

Quick question I can’t confirm from the manual: does comping work in clip recording as well? I assume it would be the same in terms of capturing passes, even if you need to put the clip in arrangement mode to actually view the layers and comp. However, I know better than to assume anything…