Ableton live 10

If you’re having sudden spikes I would check you’re using the high performance power profile. Oddly a heavier set can mean the CPU never tries to lower its frequency resulting in less spikes.

2 Likes

This is the first I’ve ever heard of this. Where can I find more information on this? I’ve had some issues with Kontakt with CPU and disk spikes for even some simple little libraries- hopefully this will resolve this.

Read up on frequency scaling and OS power management. The High Performance setting was referring to a windows setting in Power options that disables the frequency scaling of the processor. If you’re not running off battery and your cooling is finne, you should use this for most DAW.

3 Likes

For general use, browsing etc, balanced is fine, it will try and make speed changes on the fly, for a DAW though these tend to be too aggressive in lowering frequency. You can often end up with audio glitches because of it. There are some other options, you can set a minimum frequency (the default is 5%) which can alleviate this somewhat. You can even change some more low level values that affect the hysteresis also.

Edit: Also, up until the most recent CPU revisions, the time window for freq scaling was larger than most of us would use for an audio buffer size, you can see the issue here. :wink:

1 Like

To anybody that’s on the Live 10 Beta, has anybody found the M4L Surround Panner? I need it.

Thanks!

They had a post on Centercode today, it’s not ready yet. probably in next week’s beta update.

1 Like

Excellent! Thank you very much!

Well.

I absolutely love the new instruments, echo, wavetable, the kicks and hat and the other M4L drums sounds are sweet as :slight_smile:

Got a very nice track happening here… with those things alone. Throwing the Drum Buss on things is super nice too.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with hardware.

To be fair though, the Analog Four taught me a LOT about synthesis…

2 Likes

realising one of the killer features of the Elektron boxes i love is double tap stop to kill effects… in Ableton, my delays, well, particularly the Echo seems to ring out and out and on and on even after I hit stop… anyone have ideas for an easy FX kill switch?

Route them to a audio track and mute it when you don’t want to listen to them ring out or you can just turn off the plugin itself. Could even bind that to a key on your keyboard, like D for delay on/off.

1 Like

Yeah i figured… its a bummer its not built-in somewhere… but yeah. Mapped D key it is i suppose

1 Like

whoa

i just used Capture for the first time

like i always do, jamming away without record on

clicked the button

bam

there it is

amazing!

7 Likes

Might be a bug as well. I remember having a project in some version of Live 9. It was working fine, and then suddenly there was a spike for some reason. And the project never got back to working normally. It was on my desktop, and there was nowhere near the amount of plugins that should be a problem for that computer. Some bug or other. I just let it go and hoped it wouldn’t happen to other projects :smiley:

1 Like

…sorry :clown_face:

4 Likes

Right?! I love capture! I thought, from what I saw, that it would only be limited to the last 2 bars! But, no, the whole jam is captured, you just have to extend the range! Very cool, very damn cool!

Wave table is definitely excellent, I love running it through echo.

Put a drum bus on a preset drum rack- also an excellent addition(my drum sounds have always needed some love- this is it.

Pedal less useful to me- but also a nice addition.

I haven’t even played around with the Push features, yet! But I WILL tonight! Really looking forward to that! <3 AbleTen <3

4 Likes

Capture was pretty much the first thing I tried was I loaded up a wavetable instance. Worked brilliantly. Not sure how large the “buffer” is but it seemed to keep adding to the end of the previous capture (if you get me). Which is great. Live is smart enough to loop the most recent effort. Really handy feature.

The new Push 2 features take things a lot closer to Maschine territory for me. If the Audiomodder guys can get Komplete into Live 10 (sure it will come soon enough) then I can see my Maschine Mk1 and Jam gathering some serious dust.

4 Likes

Supposedly capture captures 10 mins :smiley:

But don’t quote me on that.

2 Likes

:open_mouth: That is INSANE!

I believe it, though!

1 Like

*in a zombie voice*: JOIN US!

2 Likes

incredible innit