Ableton live 10

I’m glad in the DAW marketing war it slowing down a bit… because this L10 is not what I expected from them… I have in mind well when it’s coming I will probably have to re-buy the whole package and finally I start to taking the DAW as it should be…

==> you can arrange your tracks in any DAW without the Library, Effects and Instruments upgrades because we already have Gears to make sounds so…

I really like my Bitwig 2.2 + Reason 10 Combo + Elektron Gears

Signed in for the Beta couple of days ago. Wavetable and Echo are cool, but not worth a full Version number. The rest of the features are uninteresting for me. Still used this opportunity to grab the Upgrade to Live 9 Suite (includes Live 10 when its out). Waiting for Beta Access now :wink:

3 Likes

me too :grinning:

2 Likes

Just got into the beta. Really looking forward to trying it out, particularly with my Push 2!

1 Like

Just got the Beta also. Copped a crash first session lol - deleteing automation from global tempo. MacOS. Can anyone reproduce? Wavetable sounds really nice. Looking forward to more of a play tomoro…

Woohoo! I just checked back and saw that my 10 beta is available for download/testing!!!

I hate to say “me too” but, I’m in as well - woohoo!

1 Like

This is a good update, with one bad thing: My VSTs are now blurry, as I work with 125% screen zoom. L9 worked fine once you turned of High DPI font scaling in Win compatibility settings, but here I am out of luck.

Reported to Ableton, they are looking into it.

Otherwise, everything looks great, and M4L devices start up faster. Actually, everything seems to run faster.

1 Like

Should say that the new sequencer mode works like a charm in Push 1 as well… that alone is worth it for me.

2 Likes

Logging in and downloading: NOW! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wavetable is my new favourite soft synth :smile:

Echo is rather wonderful too.

What isn’t so great is my CPU maxing out with 3 wavetable instances and a couple of FX. It’s a year old top of the range at the time Dell XPS15 ffs!

4 Likes

Yeah, laptops are nowhere near being able to cope with the same cpu needs as a good desktop. But this tells me that my late 2011 macbook pro 13 is gonna feel really geriatric, which it already does with something like Diva.

really? What machine is that? ^^ I just added 3 Wavetables with both Oscillators on, all 3 of them playing a 4 note Chord Progression + Bass Note at the same time while each and everyone used complex waveforms and some modulation + all 3 Wavetables had an Echo behind them, modulating the Delays slightly … and im at 13% CPU :slight_smile: And my Processor is definitely not top of the notch anymore. Its only a Core i7 4770K @ 3,5 GHz here.

What Processor are you using? An Athlon XP??? :smiley:

[edit] ok, a Laptop, this says everything :wink: Get some Desktops guys. A laptop is for “insert everything non serious here”! :smiley:

1 Like

Had a hard day at work today. Just edited the post :wink:

I really don’t think the “it’s a laptop” excuse washes to be honest. Live 9 works like a charm for me with dozens of tracks and multiple instances of Omnisphere. I regularly use a dozen or so in a track. For the record, it’s an i7-6700 processor with 16gb ram.

It’s likely multple issues to be honest - beta state being one of them. I don’t even have a dedicated interface at the moment either which won’t be helping!

1 Like

Problem with Laptop Processors is: They “scale” differently. Its not just that Desktop Processors boost themselve without the user recognizing it; its also … 3 or 3,5 GHz on a Laptop Processor are somewhat equal to 2 or 2,3 GHz on a Desktop. Have you filed a report to Ableton? If the difference is so drastic it may indeed just be a bug …

Haven’t noticed too much in the way of issues for CPU consumption on my 2 yr old quad core i5 with 16Gb ram. The demo set, which has been acknowledged to need a little more optimization, runs 40-56% of CPU on my laptop.

[edit]
(7 hours later) Just tried this same experiment on my late 2009 dual core iMac (12Gb RAM) and the demo track uses 51%-81% of CPU while playing.

Not yet. Only used it for half an hour. The interesting thing was the cpu spiked suddenly. No additional devices added. I was just changing volumes in the mixer view on my Push 2. Feels more like a bug.

Totally get that laptops run below their desktop equivalents but this feels way abnormal. Been using laptops with Live for years!

Depends on the Latency Settings i guess. Using classic MME/DirectX Drivers i can throw VSTi’s into the fray like nothing else :slight_smile: Latency is high though (4096 Samples :smiley: ). Which doesnt matter in that case as everything stays inside of Live itself. Switching to ASIO4All i instantly get a base load of 1% on my System, but im running at 64 Samples now. When i throw VSTi’s in and play lots of Chords (with Plugins like Serum for example - which really dont need that much CPU) i can get my system up to 9 or 10% CPU usage. And if i crank up the Buffer Size to 2048 in ASIO4All i still get up to 5% or something. With the MME/DirectX Driver it stays below 3% in that case. Since this driver allows much higher buffer sizes.

So, i rather assume that this has to do with the Buffer settings and not so much with the Driver System.

1 Like

^ this is why I bought an octatrack :grin:

Ok sorry I’ll leave :running_woman:

4 Likes