Ableton live 10

Wait fruity loops had this option years back, it’s not that revolutionary

im impressed with the beta too… more so than i expected

• capture is excellent, really allows you to just play, and then say ‘oh, i want that’ (great that you can activate it from push)
  • midi clips viewable on push2, brilliant, especially useful for the sequencer, so you can get an overview of where you are at
  • new hybrid note/sequencer on push … this probably will replace the original sequencer for me.
  • wavetable and echo, both great and look really nice on push2
  • m4l drums really nice, and load much quicker than the old M4L ones, so thats generally a good sign for M4L instruments.
  • collections… useful, since its at the top of the browser on the push, so quick to get to. (unlike user library)
  • timestamp on clips recordings, really useful… I’ve a (push) workflow were i record clips, then use the browser to move them into the drum racks… this used to be tricky to identify what you’d just recorded when you have a few clips, now its easy due to time.
  • holding down track to arm on push, much simpler than having to hold record at same time.

i also quite like the new look, and nice to have some contrast variations in the supplied themes.

things that I hope we will get in an update

• audio capture… midi works so well, i want audio :slight_smile:
  • midi clip editing on push… i can see this going further a bit deeper editing e.g. editing a single note on a chord. (a bit like editing available on maschine/mpc live)

I’m pretty hopeful both will turn up sooner or later, seems to be in line with where ableton are heading.

4 Likes

You can do this in the Melodic : Sequencer mode (aka original sequencer aka piano roll).
Hold down a step --> you get note settings for Nudge,Length,Fine,Velocity.
Even if the notes are part of a chord.

The new Melodic : Sequencer + 32 Notes can edit single notes, too.
But that doesn´t work if they are part of a chord.
In exchange you can now set chords to one step.
Like on the A4, OT , DT etc, but without the four note per step limitations.

In short: Feels familiar when you are working with :3lektron: :thup: gear.

I would really like to see Push controlling the Midi Stretch Marker, Reverse, Invert Notes and Legato. All from the clip view.

How are people finding the new version, for more linear recording (real instruments, not in loops)?

That’s the main reason I’m still using Cubase. I find it relatively difficult to navigate my way around Ableton in that sense.

I guess the new grouping options would help for one thing.

I’m not an Ableton expert- but for linear recording, it doesn’t seem to be the ideal solution. As the format of Ableton seems pretty based on loop based- I’m sure there would be more ideal DAWs out there.

Out of curiosity, what perks your interest in Ableton?

Depends on your needs.
I prefer it for linear recording over logic. I prefer the shortcuts and audio editing possibilities.

1 Like

The I never had any trouble in Live 9 with Linear recording and arrangement view… so I’m not sure what your past issues were. Live 10 seems fine to me so far.

2 Likes

I like the little touches such as the
Font, and the hand cursor, the colour coding of things etc.

Echo, whilst sounding great, is a little disappointing.

1 Like

I work on different projects. Some might be loop based, some not.

1 Like

Ah! That makes sense! I reckon Ableton should be fine- though, there’s currently no comping. I don’t know if that’s important to you…

I think Bitwig has a similar layout to Ableton- I’m not sure what features that has, but it might be advantageous to look into. I know a lot of people like it!

Downloaded, now to explore a bit…

1 Like

Any ideas-

In arrangement view.

Trying to draw in some automation on the sends.

Used to get a red line showing the automation.

Now there’s no lines. I can move the send up and down and hear the effect, but I can’t draw it in.

What am I missing?

EDIT:

OK in case anyone else has this, and in ten years of using ableton I have never experienced it, you have to-

View-automation mode - on

1 Like

Bitwig is like the bridge between Ableton Live and Logic to me… that’s why I like it. But for Warping Ableton Live is more powerful. I think Ableton Live is the King at making Music and Perform Live… it’s built for that purpose and really difficult to beat on its ground.

3 Likes

i agree.
ableton still is a lot faster to work with than logic, cubase or bitwig.
i record hardware into ableton all the time – if you use arrange mode, you have all the advantages of logic or cubase, and then some more.
the only reason why i might prefer logic to ableton is for some of the plugins.

1 Like

comping in logic or ableton – i prefer ableton because in logic you are still comping on the same track. as comping is often used for things like de-essing or multiple vocal takes, it makes more sense to have different tracks for your comp parts. so logic does not speed things up for me in that regard.

exactly. i think this is a step backwards for ableton. bring back automation mode as default!

1 Like

9 to 10 will not ease ‘linear recording’. it was already easy and fast compared to other contenders, but it does not get any easier with this version.

2 Likes

It does feel a little counterintuitive

1 Like

yes, i believe it should be the other way around: automation mode default, and turn it off as an option.

or did i miss something in the default mode that is an advantage over automation mode, apart from looks?

the quick access to automation is what set ableton apart from other DAWs.

i was already a bit disappointed with the change from 8 to 9, you used to be able to automate track effects in the clip.

I guess the last posts might soon be moved into a new thread, DAW comparison :wink:
I think every DAW has it’s strengths, it depends on the way of working. Most DAWs are on the same level these days.
I prefer Ableton for having both, the session and the arrangement view. The combination is what makes it so enjoyable. When you come from logic or cubase, the arrangement view in Ableton might look simple or strange, but at least for my needs there is everything available.
I love the warp modes. The time stretching is superb, that’s why I went away from Logic. They introduced in version 9 as time flex, but for me Ableton is still superior here and much more intuitive. Also the midi and audio routing. I hate that in logic. It’s said to be very powerful if you know the environment window, but in Ableton it’s so easy and fast.
There were some things missing in live, like automation curves and now they catch up with some other nice workflow improvements in arrangement view that were missing.

Things I prefer in logic:
the piano roll and midi editing seems more fully featured.
The mixer window.
hiding tracks!
Zooming options
The design of the gui

But I can’t even mention all the features I love in ableton.
Max for live is a huge plus, and follow actions and funny, inspirational stuff likes this has not been available in any other DAW (maybe now Bitwig?)