Ableton live 10

Do you suppose then it will be possible to remotely automate hardware parameters only accessible through Sysex ? There are quite a few in my Reface DX I’d like to get at more easily. I’d like to be able to build macros to control all the envelope breakpoints simultaneously

1 Like

Pretty sure this will be possible

1 Like

Good point. For a push 2 user, the v10 upgrade is hella tempting!

Maybe one day I’ll get a push 2 as well… Just seems like an awful lot of coin for a ”controller” is all… The same reason has kept me from NI Maschine as well.

When Push 2 first came out I didn’t even think about it- I wanted it. Despite my general agreement with that belief.

Now I’m like, a controller is worth spending money on if it comes close to being able to reach into the computer and control software instruments personally.

I’ve got a Push2 and a BCR2000 equipped on my desk- once I get the NativeKontrol scripts working- I think it’s going to come pretty close :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks great to me. Lots of little workflow improvements.

Something I’ve been waiting on forever it seems like - a nice drum synth collection that will work nicely with Push. Have used Microtonic for ages but it’s so fiddly and too deep for easy use with Push. The old max4live drum synths were okay. But as Ableton says on their “what’s new” material - the drum synths are now better integrated and have a larger sweet spot. Less parameters means easy operation with Push, no diving down into bank after bank. Looks like each drum synth has 8 or less parameters, so easy and quick sound design for getting basic beats going quickly. I like it. Just hope it sounds as good as Microtonic!

Wavetable looks very nice. I like what they’ve done with the GUI, nice and large!

Echo looks very fun! Even though I have a billion delays, still want it.

Drum Buss sounds great. Like Live’s version of Analog Heat?

Editing two MIDI clips at a time will make creating nice basslines and drum patterns so much easier.

Capture will be pretty big for me as I’m always forgetting to hit record or having to walk back over to Push to… push… the record button.

And well, anything they can do to make Arrangement view less clunky, I’m all for it. Really disappointed there is no comping feature though.

Browser collections is something that should have been there a looong time ago. But better late than never.

Taking advantage of the Push screen with MIDI sequencing and note manipulation makes a lot of sense and is very welcome.

Hell, even the soundpacks sound good to me. Not the usual 3rd party cheese from DAW makers.

Look under list of improvements. Can export mp3! Sounds like load times will faster! Lots more. Lots of tiny annoyances might finally be fixed!

3 Likes

In Live 9, i wrote a VST plugin that accepted multitouch data (from a soundplane) via OSC, and then hosted another plugin… but this still meant you only got audio as an output, no way to store the notes.

there are two underlying issue here: (in live 9)
a) in M4L you get midi input from Live, this is restricted to one channel, and so you can’t get to all the midi channel data
b) you have no where to store the note expression.

Its likely, from what we have seen so far (waiting for my beta :slight_smile: ) these both still apply. the only glimmer of hope i think is for (a) , sysex does not come in on a midi channel, so they must some how be getting this into max thru a different route… rather than via the track, so perhaps this crack might be opened up for other midi data… but still (b) is an issue, there would be no way to store the data in the sequencer.

so unfortunately, with MPE, i think for now Im going to be sticking to recording audio, and using a few M4L helper devices, for handling the routing hassle… or just use cubase which does it properly :wink:

anyway, disappointed by no MPE, and also VST3… but the Push2 enhancements look nice, especially the improvements to midi clip editing, and the visualisation bits.

6 Likes

Works perfect here, Analog Heat, Analog Four using Win 7 Live 10

Yeah, finally.

Except that with Maschine the controller and the software are the same product.

Maschine Mk3 controller including Maschine 2 software and Komplete Select: €589
Push 2 with Live 9 Standard: €1048
Live 9 Standard: €349

€1048 - €349 = €699. Or, the Push 2 controller alone is over €100 more than the Maschine Mk3 controller which comes with the Maschine 2 software that includes great built-in drum synths, a fun bass synth, good effects, an excellent 8Gb sample library, as well as Komplete Select that includes such gems as Massive, Monark and a bunch more good plug-in effects and instruments.

Oh, and it’s also a 2-in, 4-out USB class compliant audio interface. For over €100 less.

So yeah, I completely agree that the Push 2 is an awful lot of coin for a controller, but IMHO Maschine, and especially the Mk3 is great value compared to that.

This of course assumes that you’re actually planning to use Maschine as intended. If you just want a controller to use with your DAW, then you obviously want to look elsewhere…

1 Like

No MPE and VST3 support is really poor, it’s almost 2018.

2 Likes

Probably a little bit late with the integration coming but I did map out all of the controls for the drum synths on Push (posted it in the “helpful push information” section on the Ableton forums). Anyway they are here if anybody interested.

Push Ready DrumSynths

3 Likes

okay so after my initial impression, i’ve had some time to watch some vids and better understand the update. now i’m pretty excited. Live has been the single most liberating creative tool i’ve ever used. finally i can organise my plugins exactly how i want them. it’s an update to my push too, getting closer and closer to a perfect rig for my needs. preordered.

2 Likes

And now I wait…

2 Likes

I really like all of what you say here Bwax.

A few things:

I was listening to the three new effects, Drum Buss, Pedal and Echo on the Ableton site, and clicking through the comparison of sounds compared to the DRY versions. It really does seem like a Live version of Analog Heat, like you say – plus some other stuff too.

The new sounds and instruments while not overwhelming by themselves do fill in some gaps in the existing library, and i like most of them.

I like the new stuff that now is doable on the Push 2 screens and pads. Again not overwhelming alone but is really filling out the functionality of the Push 2.

I really like the post facto performance capture features, if you like what you did while you practice, now you can go back and grab it.

I’m pretty sure i’ll like the Wavetable synth, but there’s a lot of detail there that i’ll really have to play with to appreciate.

I’m thinking the guy who did the Iota Granular M4L synth might update his product now with Live 10, Ableton could have done a Granular synth with Live 10, Wavetable and Granular share a lot of low level pieces.

Ableton had to decide where to put the stake in the ground, between 9 and 10. They could make improvements to 9 forever i suppose – there is no doubt an economic interest in making the break, and yet there needs to be enough change to make it worthy of the cost to the user. That’s all subjective after all.

IMO Ableton is better than a number of others in stretching out the time between big number upgrades, and preserving the value for the user. I look forward to the new things in this version of 10 as well as the ones to come.

7 Likes

yes, Ableton has been very generous with updates throughout 9s lifespan

6 Likes

signed up to the Beta also, look forward to checking it out. i always love an ableton update :slight_smile: the updates to Push make it a tantalising prospect again, but i still wish it was smaller and more standalone. peter kirn over on cdm says no Push 3 at this time, wonder if thats an assumption or based off of inside intel. nothing at Loop?

It really looks like the 10 upgrade had pretty much knocked Push up to an honorary 3 to me. I think what 10 does to it is just shy of what 2 was to 1.

Which I am so happy for because I don’t have the money for another piece of gear.

Digression

Man! The better display of EQ and Comp will be SO SATISFYING(especially since I’m still a Comp rookie). I’m almost as joyful about that as I am with the melodic step sequencer.

Really enthused about this update!

3 Likes

I dont really want a Push 3, more like a Push Compact :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yea! Push Mikro plz!

1 Like

Impressive range of enhancements.
After owning Live since 2001 and using it a lot as my go-to fast results loopy daw (compared to linear Cubase) 2018 might be a good year to focus on it much more deeply.
Funnily enough, in all my years noodling, Atari ST cubase and Acid Pro have been the only software I really learned well enough to push hard. Then again, my age at the time might have had a lot to do with it!

1 Like