Ableton live 10

The fine print on the “upgrade” page ( https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live-10/ ) says:

Full and upgrade versions of Ableton Live 9 Standard and Suite include a free upgrade to their respective editions of Live 10 – to be issued upon its release. Those purchasing Live 9 Intro with or without Push will receive a new L10 Intro license upon its release.

Does this mean since I have a fully-paid Live 9 Suite I get a free upgrade if I don’t pay now???

Everybody’s needs and wants are different. :thup:

4 Likes

I think that means that if you buy Live 9 now you will get Live 10 when it’s released. That does not count for users who purchased before the upgrade was released. Is my interpretation, but i could be wrong.

Edit: I meant “announced” not “released”

2 Likes

Did you have to buy the upgrade to get access to the 10 Beta? I’m not seeing the 10 Beta as a beta tester for 9…

No , you just need a L9 licence.

Have you followed the instructions on this page ?

just follow it and they will let you sign up for a beta slot.

If you have allready anticipated in a beta program, look at the home screen of centercode, there should be a link to sign up for a new project ( live 10 beta )

Ok, I found the post on the centercode forum for Live 9 Betas that let me enter the queue to be a Live 10 beta tester. I can see the option now after clicking on the key in the forum to add the option to my home screen to choose the 10 Beta, when I click on it now it says “waiting to let you in, we’ll email you”. Once that is processed, I should be able to download it.

1 Like

Bitwig is working perfectly for me , in fact its the best DAW for me using Overbridge.( on OSX and 100% stable)
Great live update but i still prefer Bitwig because of the modulation system etc.

2 Likes

Hah! Finally!

This was actually what made me jump ship and switch to Bitwig.

2 Likes

Yeah massive let down. They are so behind the mark on this. I see they’ve made a Max surround panner but no mention of support for multichannel audio files. To be honest a few plugins and workflow improvements really doesn’t feel like a new version to me. More like a Live 9.8 than a 10

I’m missing the ability to see the possibilities with this. What can you do with M4L Sysex?

well, how about dumping audio clips into your rytm, for example? Lots of ways to enjoy sysex

1 Like

Gotta say I got a lil skeptical when I saw the marketing vids and the site. But native integration of M4L and sysex support will be great additions. Who knows, maybe some clever dev will come up with an MPE input patch/plugin even…

But still, Ive been coexisting with live since version 1. For me personally… Maybe I’m just getting bored by the whole thing? I’m not GASing for this at all. Will of course update as soon as a good enough upgrade discount hits the www but meh

Is there any mention of automation compensation being onboard in v 10? or audio plugin sandboxing? Can we warp MIDI clips yet? I been asking for that since v 7…

Whoa!

Does the Rytm use SysEx for sample transfer?

Isnt SDS a form of sysex? Please correct me if I’m mistaken…

EDIT: From wikipedia:

”Sample dump standard
An unforeseen capability of SysEx messages was their use for transporting audio samples between instruments. This led to the development of the sample dump standard (SDS), which established a new SysEx format for sample transmission.[8]:287 The SDS was later augmented with a pair of commands that allow the transmission of information about sample loop points, without requiring that the entire sample be transmitted.”

2 Likes

SDS is a part of the SysEx spec (Edit: as you wrote above). I don’t know Live or M4L very well but I would check whether this new SysEx capability actually include the SDS protocol.

Same boat, probably a good thing for me though. The rest of my parts for my MIDIBox Seq V4 arrive today so I need to finish that first and Live 10 would be a huge distraction.

Sysex and the Push functionality is huge to me!

well they both use MIDI as their means of transferring data but they are quite different. I don’t think I’ve seen SDS used for anything other than audio files. I guess at the end of the day its all just ones and zeros.

Prettty happy with v9

If I still owned Push 2, I would certainly update. But without it, I think I will sit this one out.

Need to save for Analog Heat, anyway.

2 Likes

A quick google on the max communtiy gives us this tidbit:

”You can treat a .wav file as floating-point data by reading it into a buffer~, then using uzi --> peek~ to get each sample, for the total # of samples. These would then be converted to 16-bit integer values using [scale -1. 1. 0 65535], then broken into 8-bit values (using / 256 and % 256) and sent over the serial as pairs of bytes, with a start and stop code for the data point. Or you could probably work out a way to send more compact lists of your points, without needing all the start/stop codes.”

So then its just a matter of knowing how to send that data over sysex, right? Sounds doable…

1 Like