Ableton live 10

Are you guys talking midi keyboard or computer keyboard ?

Computer keyboard. For me itā€™s for editing, not playing. I use microphones to capture sounds, guitar, singing and stuff. Midi keyboards or pads to trigger synths or drum beats. All that good stuff. Then I make some loops and create a basic arrangement. This is where the keyboard and mouse comes in.

I have gotten to the point where Iā€™m fast enough that it doesnā€™t feel like Iā€™m using music software as much as it feels like sculpting or making collages with my own raw material. Might sound pretentious, and it is, but thatā€™s the vibe I get. Fun as heck :slight_smile: For automation I often prefer using a knob of some kind.

1 Like

I use the QWERTY to input notes. Once I learned the the keys Z and X transpose the notes up and down, things got easier for me.

1 Like

Also not to beat a dead horse, but have you downloaded the latest construction kits that come with the suite 10? Wow, Iā€™m impressed by the choice of samples and rack design. A lot of the house, techno, hiphop kits are great starter sounds. If you donā€™t like a kick / snare / or clap then replace it with your own. The way they chain the effects are very nice.

2 Likes

Yes!!! The drumkit in the jam I posted is from one of the downloaded packs. Ableton stepped up there preset game in 10 for sure

1 Like

Is it from ā€œBuild and Dropā€?

The wave table looks like great fun! Would go great with my Push 2 controller and laptop.

Now if Elektron comes out with a granular and wave table function in their future gear that would be awesome.
AFAIK the only hardware only solutions that have wave table are Waldorf and Access Virus and for granular synthesis the new Tastychips box.

1 Like

I was wondering when youā€™d find another thread to say the exact same thing in. Is this number 3? 4?

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t tell you my friend. I do know that I think I went for more of one of the more Hip Hop oriented kit though. The hip hop stuff has that old school house vibe for whatever reason. Samples versus synthesis probably

1 Like

Been exploring the new wave table in Ableton Live 10 on my Push 2 and love it. Here is a beat that I crafted recently for the weekly San Diego beats community:

For those who use Ableton Live besides Elektron gear, how do you like the new release so far? I just have been digging into 10 and really like it.

Iā€™m loving 10! It just feels like Ableton and ya canā€™t go wrong with that.

I like it a lotā€¦brings some much needed editing features that have been in other DAWs for ages.

Particularly like the interface for editing multiple midi clips at the same time, very nice implementation.

Still lacking: zooming anywhere with trackpad/scroll wheel + editing audio in clip view.

Search function is your friend

edit: thanks @avantronica!

3 Likes

Iā€™m liking Ableton 10, but the Wavetable synths spike up my CPU load like crazy! Even on my new MacBookPro.

2 Likes

I absolutely love it. At first I thought the changes were negligible, but I used the Beta since the first day of release and couldnā€™t go back to 9. The new color palette, new Instruments/FX, and workflow enhancements made live almost perfect for my needs now. Plus the visualizations on Push 2 are just so damn pretty. Every time I start to miss my DT I play with the Push and all is well again.

Hmm been lucky so far but I am running it on a PC with 32Gb RAM and 4TB SSD drive and quad core CPU and no issues thus far.

2 Likes

Yeah agree - the transition from 9 to 10 has been extraordinarily smoothā€¦

My only gripe so far is that the beta seems more stable than the full version at times, especially when using Wavetable. Itā€™s not a huge difference but definitely one Iā€™ve noticed.

Ableton live 10 on my 5 year old laptop is having a few ā€˜not respondingā€™ issues i never had with 9. Its a bit annoying. No SSD. But i think i have enough ram 8gb. And an i7 processor. I dont know why this is happening. Its mostly on the first 10 minutes or when im switching instruments from the library.

I like Mac- but these specs make me want to return to PC

4 Likes