Ableton live 10

I use Live and I never use sound packs, Lives built in instruments or any presets for that matter.

Why on earth people want to be scrolling through hundreds of sounds/presets looking for what might be the right sound when they can just create it is beyond me, beginners ok sure go ahead scroll away…

As far as Bitwig, I’d never finish anything and just get lost in endless modulation madness.
Live 10 used together with Push is the fastest way to make tracks I’ve ever experienced.

4 Likes

I use the sound packs and presets. Good inspiration in there. Saves a lot of time.

2 Likes

the implementation of external hardware/modular gear is so much better under bitwig imho . . . but yah, no need to use all of the sound packs or presets in Live. i recently discovered how much space that stuff was taking up with Live :-/

3 Likes

Well that is Live’s biggest weakness imo but I cope with it since I love the program for it’s simplicity and super fast workflow.

3 Likes

agreed, bitwig and live are total cousins…one just has the benefit of being around a hell of a lot longer.

2 Likes

Ha yeah I realised this recently too when I decided to fresh install Live, Maschine and KU11. Used to be one of those guys that sat with GB’s upon GB’s of vsts, libraries, samples on my hard drive just in case. Finally thought “fuck it” and now being quite selective with my installations. KU11 and Omnisphere 2 have me covered in so many ways that there’s little need for Live 10’s suite library in my case. I’m sure there are a few nice things in there though.

1 Like

It’s surprising that Live is the only DAW that has released its own dedicated advanced controller?
You would have thought the other big guns e.g. Cubase, logic would have followed suit
It would have to be a special software / hardware combination for me to even consider jumping ship from Live10 / Push2 though.
Not to mention the incredible Max4Live bundle.

6 Likes

Agreed.

I’m currently in the process of pretty much shitting myself with excitement with Push 2 on one side and my Kontrol s49 mk2 on the other. Had thought it wouldnt work with Live and that NI would need to release an update but decided to give it a try and see and it’s currently working like a charm.

As much as I like Maschine, I’m probably more at home in Live and Push 2 + s49 2 = one hell of a combo.

5 Likes

I took a stab at using Push and Ableton 10 - curious…

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-pushableton10tester

1 Like

Novation Peak is missing on this list. It responds perfectly to PME.
Roli Seaboard + Novation Peak = instant delight

1 Like

Agreed - def a case of when. It’s one of the major Bitwig selling points for me. When I had my Roli, it was such a breeze using with Bitwig vs Ableton.

It’ll come and when it does, I wouldnt be surprised if an MPE Push 3 comes with it.

2 Likes
1 Like

Yep Push 3 will not only have MPE but also a Linnstrument type grid playing surface allowing maximum expression

1 Like

Yeah can def see that happening. I pretty much called it out too ages ago either here or some other thread on what improvements could be made to Push.

It works but its a pain. You have to set-up a load of tracks and its a kludgy and inelegant solution.

See: https://support.roli.com/article/using-the-seaboard-with-ableton-live/

2 Likes

It’s not elegant, but it’s quite fast to set-up, imo. You could group those tracks and you could save the project as default project

3 Likes

What up everybody! Resurrecting an old thread because I resurrected some old software (Ableton 10) and tried figuring some stuff out. Here’s a little Live 10 jam. It’s really easy and fast to do stuff…

2 Likes

You using push2 in your setup? A lot of the 10 features have made browsing and looking at your midi patterns on the push2 easier for me.

What up @v00d00ppl! I’m just using the keyboard and mouse.

I really love making music as a hobby. But fooling around with Ableton last night with just my mouse and QWERTY really made me question all this expensive hardware I have sitting around :thinking:

So then I’m like, I need a second job so I’m wondering how do I make some extra money with this gear and hobby? That’s a real question for the universe!

Anyway. It’s kind of like a game. I jam something out with software and I’m like, “oh, how can I do that with hardware.” Then I do some hardware stuff and I’m like, “ok, how do I make this with software”.

:hugs:

2 Likes

I really love using the keyboard and mouse in ableton. Would love it if shortcuts were more customizable. After testing the DT, minibrute, monologue and minilogue i have come to the conclusion that all I really want is the DT, and maybe a DN. Other than that, I just need to get over my aversion to actually setting up a midi controller so I can use live like a hardware device. I sau aversion, it is pure laziness.

2 Likes