Ableton live 10

I have Live 9 Standard and bought M4L and Sampler because I don’t want all the stock sounds. Looking at the feature comparison if I upgrade to 10 (not suite) there really doesn’t seem to be a whole lot I actually get other than a few grouping & editing extras.

Am I missing something?

2 Likes

Slightly Off Topic Alert: i’m hoping to somehow represent the Machinedrum’s Swing at around 52-55% in the Groove Template of Ableton (v.9.1) … would the best idea to be just record a swung hihat pattern from the MD to Ableton, then somehow make a groove template from that?

currently writing basslines with ableton and zebra, would like to apply some swing so they match the Machinedrum pattern’s swing after being quantized.

Wanna leave work - upgrade Live syndrome - here
:smiley:

3 Likes

+1

Cancelled my preorder 3days ago as I had recently bought an Octatrack mk 2 and wanted to concentrate on that. But man that thing is pissing me off lol. So last night with about 20 minutes to go before midnight back to preorder!

3 Likes

I’ll get an Octatrack when I retire and settle on a Greek island. Word.
:cool:

EDIT

Unemployment in Berlin is … also an option…

2 Likes

Hang in there, the mist will clear in time.

1 Like

Yeah that should work. Right click on your recording and click ‘Extract Groove’ incase you didn’t already know.

3 Likes

Still “Thanks for pre-ordering Live 10 Suite. We’ll send you an email as soon as the software is available for download” . . for me, unfortunatelly. Anyone else has got their email?

Just played with Wavetable and I’m very impressed.
The mod matrix design is really smart. So easy to assign modulations.
Lots of diverse wavetables available.
Presets are pretty crap, but great interface makes it real easy to design patches from scratch. Incredible interface actually, just so easy to use, especially how you can make it full screen.
Won’t replace Serum, but an awesome alternative.
Will be using it a lot for sure

4 Likes

idk man, i sold my serum license! just the naked sine tones with a little reverb sound lovely

4 Likes

When you open a project saved in an earlier version you get a dialogue box to convert it into the current format.

2 Likes

I’ve never really gelled with a synth like I have with Wavetable, I love it!
Stick some Echo on it and modulate the tits off it with the new LFO and Shaper tool in M4L and you’ll be buzzin, trust me! :smiley:

Yeah I got mine earlier…maybe they’re not releasing them all at once so their servers don’t get hammered?

I found a good deal on a Push 2 but didn’t go for it because I’m worried about the CPU drain issue.

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=223276

Apparently the Push 2 display takes a lot of CPU power and can be problematic for older CPUs. Mine is a dual core i7 2.66GHz (Mac) and not quad core so I wasn’t sure how it would behave. Anyone with a similar CPU using Push 2 without issues?

I have two Macs, a Macbook Pro Late 2015 with a 2,7GHz i5 and a Hackintosh with a 3,3GHZ i5. I cannot see any effect on the CPU, the meter does not show any changes when I use Ableton with Push. I can´t reproduce any of the issues that are mentioned in this thread although my machines are less powerful. Seems to be an error due to the overall configuration of their systems.

[edit] I further read through this thread at Ableton forums, people there seem to be lost using OSX´s activity control program. “90%” CPU usage means 90% of the current cpu usage . If your overall cpu usage is at 10% and Push 2 uses 90% Push is using 1% of the WHOLE Cpu power, not 90%.

1 Like

i’m in the same boat…i bought operator and sampler separately years ago.

so the primary updates for us would just be the workflow changes (e.g. naming inputs/outputs, higher res gui, etc).

i’m hanging onto live 9, but avoiding the update. i’ve gone the bitwig route and have been enjoying the change, especially after using Live for so so long.

2 Likes

Likewise! I just tried the demo out last night to determine if I was going to upgrade or not- everything about Bitwig feels like home to me!

Putting Push to one side, I don’t think I could jump on the Bitwig bandwagon until they have a serious rethink about their pricing model. Not a fan of their “12 months of updates” thing at all personally. Where do you stand if a great feature is introduced a day before your year runs out and it turns out to be buggy as hell?! At least with Ableton, they have you covered on that front.

2 Likes

i bought a license transfer for $180 USD that has updates until December of this year.

i’m not crazy about their update model either, but looking at their update history, they are releasing updates fairly quickly/consistently.

i used Live 8 for a fcouple of years after Live 9 was released and i was totally happy. hopefully it’ll be similar to bitwig.