Ableton live 10

No, there’s no clip automation for track insert effects in arrangement view.
You have to work around that using ‘modulation envelopes’ since live 9.

I’m not quite getting this, wouldn’t you just use regular automation when you’re in arrangement view?

Depends. Automation is absolute, modulation is relative.

Yeah, I don’t get this either.
In clips you can open the envelopes and automate anything iirc with clips envelopes.
Then in arrangement view you can also use automation for the whole track.
I just don’t get the issue, or I don’t understand what you are trying to do.
Plus I am away from home for 2 weeks right now, so I don’t have live in front of me.

Look, i really can’t help you guys. It’s all in my posts if you read carefully.
It’s a technical detail that ableton users pre version 9 do understand, it’s been pointed out many times elsewhere.
I pointed it out as one example of making automation workflow less accessible and intuitive in ableton9, something that is being done again in ableton10, where the default view now is without automation.

1 Like

Alright then, moving on! :roll_eyes:
I am really looking forward to the updated melodic sequencer for push 2

Windows 10 64 bit

1 Like

Been using Ableton Live Suite 10 solid for two weeks now… pretty dang solid beta, IMHO, and I speak as a software engineer as my real paying gig. Mostly using the new bits so far. Next week, I plan on playing with M4L a lot, bring in as many of Robert Henke’s devices to play with as possible.

I’m at the point where I see no reason to use 9 much anymore, it is that solid and I like the new toys.

More than anything else I hope with the coming of Ableton 10 they also revive their forum. It’s not a fun place to be at all. I keep thinking there’s a huge community that uses Ableton so there’s big potential to share knowledge but it’s kinda not really happening.

7 Likes

Assume that we recorded a midi track in arrangement mode. Also assume that we already applied some volume automation and a fx send in arrangement view. Our clip is a 4 bar loop running for 3 minutes. Now we would like to automate the filter frequency for the first note of each loop. With ableton 9 we would have to manually copy the automation data in arrangement view instead of just using the loop function of the clip.

Second example:
We started a new track in clip mode and applied automation and envelopes in the clip. When we move our sketch to arrangement view the automation data is transformed and not part of the clip anymore. If we want to make changes to the clip we have to manually copy these changes into every copy of the loop.

1 Like

Totally agree with this. They did create an ‘answers’ platform, but its very 1 shot direct rather than a place to hang out.

Ah, see that’s never been an issue for me but I get it.
Not so hard to explain after all I guess.
Thx.

1 Like

Official release date is now February 6th.

I have used the two latest beta version for a bit, and so far it seems more like gentle evolution than a massive jump. Wavetable is great, and what I like most is the deeper Push 2 integration. Most of the VSTs/AUs I have tested worked without any problems, including Overbridge (on the AR/A4 MKIs).

1 Like

What a pity! I used the beta but don´t feel that the new features are worth the upgrade price. But in the end I will have to upgrade since I can´t stay on version 9 for the rest of my life. After February 6th the upgrade will be more expensive.

1 Like

They tend to have discounted upgrades at several points through the year, so you could wait a while. I don’t think Live 9 will be incompatible with future OS upgrades for some time. Personally I like the upgrade. I get that people don’t think it’s a huge upgrade, and to be fair it isn’t. But so much of the workflow upgrades are things I’ve been pining for, so it works well for me :slight_smile:

It’s not a life-changing upgrade, but it’s enough to justify a new version allocation. Consider how much Live 9 evolved over its lifespan. I don’t know why we shouldn’t expect a similar treatment for 10. and wavetable is awesome

1 Like

I hope they’ll take the same route as for Live 9. They are still a lot of improvements that can be made in the workflow. The new ghost notes feature is nice but quite clunky to use compare to FL Studio. Also the piano roll could take a lot from FL Studio.

I must play with the beta more. Liked it enough to pre-order the upgrade, anyway!

I like that you can trigger the automation view on and off with the key-command “a”. In my opinion a fully customizable key-command option would be a great benefit. It´s a pity that this little feature is the only thing I really enjoy so far.

1 Like

Can’t you just press the A-button? The reason is screen real estate as I understood it.

Edit: I got a bit lost in this thread and didn’t realise I replied to something from months ago :smiley:

2 Likes