Ableton live 10

my wishlist for ableton 11:

• clip arranging: select a part of your clip and drag it to a new place in the clip. easily solved if the developers focused on elaborating the clip: sample offset option. non-destructive until committed or consolidated.

• new, mind-blowing timestretch algorithm that copes excellently with both transients and harmonics. ‘complex’ is already good, but maybe there’s a next level?

• analyser weighting to pink noise, instead of white noise. who came up with white noise weighting? i’m afraid it’s quite useless to me. but this is a gripe i’ve had ever since they came up with their analyser, it’s not particular to v10.

2 Likes

I’d love to see this one, too

Someone tell me if Overbridge will work. Ableton 10 has to run on the latest OSX, does OB run on the latest OSX? This is my biggest worry about upgrading and frankly, I’m too lazy to research it until it’s actually released.

Where did they mention that ?

Really? That seems a bit cack.

Is this the same with Live 9.7 ? Surely not. I’m sure I’ve installed it on older systems.

Not sure how I feel about that. Quite frankly I think its really annoying

1 Like

I felt that way after changing to Ableton. I ran it as rewire for some time, than, as I learned more about live, I decided there is no need to mix in Logic. I prefer to do it all in one program. Still use Logic for certain things from time to time… The Logic sounds better thing… ridiculous imo. It’s a myth. Maybe some plugins in logic sound better and vice versa, or better to say: some people may prefer plugins in logic. But sound in general… :zonked:
If someone really can hear a quality difference, please sell me your ears

2 Likes

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I couldn’t be bothered doing any actual research until it’s released, so I appreciate your input. Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course you won’t hear any difference if you’d play the same sample in both DAWs no. The standard mix plugins of logic are ridiculously good though, and that I can hear. It’s really the only thing I miss since I switched to a windows setup with studio one 3 and ableton. I’m taking about standard plugins of these DAWs of course.

1 Like

yeah, might be.
For my needs, the mix plugins in live do their job. But I am using some third party stuff anyhow to be honest :slight_smile:

Playing around with Push on 10 is quite excellent! The visualizations with Wavetable are gorgeous, Echos pretty cool too(but to a lesser degree-useful I suppose- really getting into OP-1 territory with the screen.

Echos SO MUCH deeper than I gave it credit for initially- reminds me of early Mogwai sounds with the warp stuff.

The new sequencer is awesome- but it’s a shame it doesn’t respond to external controllers, but I suppose it provides me the encouragement to getting comfortable with playing the push as an instrument instead of using it solely as a control panel- so I guess this will prove to be a good thing.

The EQ and Compressor visualizations on the Push are an incredible help to me as a novice producer.

Phenomenal update! Totally worth it! Super glad I rebought Push 2 a few months ago <3

4 Likes

I love the “Analog Colapse” echo preset - been using that one quite a bit.

I’m totally on board with your comment around encouraging you to get comfortable with Push as an instrument. Im getting that in a big way. I mentioned above about Maschine and Live 10 is enough to put the Mk3 on hold for me. I’m sure I loaned an audio interface to a mate a while back so chances are I will look to get that back, forget about Maschine Mk3 and go all in with Live 10 for now (with Octatrack on the side of course…!).

3 Likes

Pre ordered 10 and filled in the beta request form thing…Hope I get a chance to try 10 out.

1 Like

10.11 still seems a bit limiting. In terms of Apple hardware cycling that limits you to only using a Mac made within the last 3-4 years. Never mind the OS. Nobody really cares about that. They do however care about the perfectly good machine they paid good money being rendered obsolete through unnecessary software updates. And in turn not running software it’s perfectly equipped to handle

2 Likes

I’m happily running High Sierra on a 2011 Macbook Pro…

Me too. But I didn’t need any external mixing tools when I used logic though :). Fx are also top notch. Still can’t find a good alternative to the delay and reverb designers for instance. Some convolution reverba come close, but still not near enough. The saturation plugins are also great etc.

Too bad it’s Apple only.

I disagree. My late 2009 iMac, running 10.12 sierra, runs Ableton 10 beta just fine. That thing is over 8 years old now.

3 Likes

Latest beta seems to be performing much nicer on my cpu.

Had a great little session there. Was mucking about with a wavetable synth on its own. Quite liked what I had played so used capture and noticed that when you do this it sets the set tempo based on what you had played (presuming no metronome or other clips on the go). A small thing but actually really great and neat feature for me. Pulls me away from worrying about tempo repetition for a start!

2 Likes

i saw a tom cosm vid where he had 150 wavetables running simultaneously just to do it. only one oscillator on each, but still . . .

2 Likes

Yawn. ;D

1 Like

There are still clip envelopes in live 9

1 Like