A workflow question on sound vs coherence

I was gonna say that. :smile: But having recently hunted one down and now living of cabbage and leek. I’m not sure it was worth it.

3 Likes

This. I think you should do this. Very little harm in trying.

1 Like

Right, I’m going for the Moog.

I’ve had a particular workflow in mind all this time, which in the end was the final decisive factor, combined with your good advise and thoughtful replies.

Given my limited space, I can’t have the Octa and the Moog out and about at the same time. I’ve decided to make something of it, instead of wishing it wasn’t so. So the idea is to bring in the Moog and put away the Octatrack, focusing on creating loops, patches, sequences and whatnot in the Moog over a longer period of time, collecting a respectable amount of material through play, composing and sound design.

Then, I’ll record all that as snippets into the Octatrack. That’d be like one or two sessions, tops. During that limited time, I can make do with the both of them fighting for space.

Then, out goes the Moog and in goes the Octatrack, where I will then focus on building something with all the cool stuff I’ve recorded from the Sub37.

So it’s a divided and singular process, born from limited space but something I’m kind of looking forward to. And given that the idea always was to put together the result in the Octatrack anyway, the feature advantages of the Keys aren’t so strong anymore. Since the tracks will be completed elsewhere, I don’t even need to bother sketching something up outside the Octatrack. Rather, just collecting ideas from the Moog that all have some coherence, and then string them together in the Octatrack and lord knows where that will take me.

But that’s the cool thing about the Octa. You just don’t know where you’ll end up with it.

I think it’ll be at its best, if I don’t even try to bring in versions of finished work into it, but just tons of ideas from the Moog, and then go from there.

So there. The Sub37 it is.

Thanks for your time and your input, all. This is by far the best forum for electronic music.

3 Likes

It’s a constructive version of Gearslutz

4 Likes

And a lot more human.

3 Likes

Good to hear! Please keep us posted about your workflow experience - I, for one, am very interested since workflow optimisation is on my mind everyday (a LOT too much, yes).

2 Likes

To further go down the workflow path…completed this setup around new year - still haven’t figured out to approach and actually use it. Looks good with all the blinking lights, though.

5 Likes

Sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to hearing the tunes. It’s refreshing to see someone making a concerted effort towards a very minimalistic setup as an antidote to omnipresent GAS. I recently stripped back my own setup to a couple of simple pieces (OT, OP1, FX pedals), and it’s been very liberating.

The monome forum (http://llllllll.co/)is also very good, if a little more abstract and highbrow than this place.

2 Likes

Yep. Rare as hens teeth now but honestly one of the the best hardware synths ever made. Rediculously powerful and its red. Still compatible with Mac/PC but for how much longer I worry about.
Good choice @andreasroman with the Sub37. Haven’t owned one but have owned an AK and its interface and tiny screen just wasn’t intuitive enough for me. Sub37 nearly knob per function looks like a fantastic interface in comparison.

2 Likes

Thanks. Looking forward to sharing my results with you all.

Looks lovely, tho.

1 Like

Sounds like a great micro setup. Anything with OT in it just becomes endless, like that Interstellar movie.

Just trying to send sand in your beautiful mechanics… what about throwing OT LFOs to tickle the Moog ?

1 Like

Nice setup mate but seems you need to swap the AK position with the AR/OT so as it is in front? How do you play the AK there?
Oh wait, is the AK on a stand elevated above AR/OT? or is it completely behind? Optical illusion :thinking:

Not a bad idea. But with two LFOs present on the Moog already, both of them possible to route to anything on the synth, I don’t need more. And also, it would defeat the purpose of focusing on just the one instrument.

But I can certainly see the mayhem that would come from launching the Octa LFOs on the Moog. I can see myself trying that during a dedicated chaos and mayhem-session, or so.

P-lockable ARPs is awesome, too…
:smiley:

Thanks. It’s a custom stand setup from Mike @ kvgear.com. Idea was that it should allow me to be hands-on with the OT & Rytm while still not having to reach to far for the keyboard input. Works pretty well, need to stand up sometimes in longer, more AK heavy sessions but I don’t have to reach and tire my back too much. Not having a regular chair helps a bit as well.

2 Likes

What about having the Octatrack hover above/behind the Sub 37 by using an adjustable laptop/dj stand? There are tons of these things available.

Google image search for “dj laptop stand” …

https://www.google.com/search?q=dj+laptop+stand&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi84cmrtv7SAhXLLyYKHWmnDFwQ_AUICSgC&biw=1351&bih=959#imgrc=_

Pro-tip - make sure you get one with the flat base so it slips neatly under a keyboard synth like the Sub 37. Some of these stands have sloped bases that might scuff the gear situated on the lower position.

2 Likes

And off we go.

8 Likes

congrats :slight_smile: The sub37 looks so beautiful !

1 Like