A workflow question on sound vs coherence

It’s a beauty, for sure.

I blew all my money on gear a while back and now live off cabbage as well, lol! Cheapest vegetable around here!

2 Likes

Synth acquirements makes you healthy! :sweet_potato:

3 Likes

I think once you finally settle on your two pieces of gear, which maybe you have, we should all pitch in and have a custom enclosure built which combines them so it’s smaller and you can think it’s one device…
I’ll chip in a cabbage! :wink:

2 Likes

If you did that, I’d invite you all to dinner. I make killer tacos.

2 Likes

No modular for you then, no more cabbages left.

1 Like

Decisions, decisions… Trade my cabbage to my new sugar daddy for a modular, or selflessly donate my last veggie to help a fellow Elektronaut complete their vision of a unified groovebox?
I’m a community person, I guess I’ll settle for tacos, the’re modular right?, bowls of various chopped ingredients to patch together in your own unique combination…

4 Likes

Since this thread has become as much, if not more, about workflow, I figured I’d just keep sharing my process as I go along.

So yesterday, I picked up the Sub37. The last one in the store, and not a new one available until months away. This synth’s still ridicilously popular, years after its release. It’s good to see that such a human and quality-focused company such as Moog, are rewarded for their efforts.

Anyway. With the Sub in place, I’ve now removed the Octatrack, temporarily. I know the Sub37 quite well since before, so I’m getting straight into creating patches and sequences, all stuff ready to be recorded in time.

I expect this to last for several weeks, just me and the Sub37. So the Octatrack will rest for now, until there’s plenty to record and work with. While the Sub37’s sequencer is fairly powerful for its kind, it’s still not enough for what I want to cover, so for more intricate sections such as more complex leads, I figured I’ll just write them down as sheet music, and then rehearse them until I know them well enough to record them.

So it’ll be a focused process where I concentrate on finding sounds, creating melodies and loops, sequences and stuff.

What I won’t do, is to try to find a completely finished idea from start to end, for a track. Rather, I’ll stick to keys that go well with each other, create variations on themes and stuff like that, so that the end result is a family of sounds and sequences that go well together, in all kinds of ways, without trying to put something complete together. That’s where the Octatrack comes in. Since working with the Octatrack always takes you to strange, new places, I figured I’d use this to my advantage. Since I can’t write complete songs on the Sub37, I won’t even try. And since the Octatrack is so damn good at coming up with things you never thought of, I’ll just play on that strength to the max, rather than trying to write songs in a more conventional matter.

So, for now, the Sub37 only, collecting ideas that belong together, but where the whole won’t be obvious until they end up in the Octatrack.

3 Likes

You’re aiming for karma high score. Ghandi should be nervous.

1 Like

He ain’t got no worries…
Nice plan, and nice choice with the moog. I have a Little Phatty and plan on keeping it as long as it lasts and repairing parts when needed I love it so much… I think there’s really something in creating freely without a specific end goal in sight rather than trying to make these machines do some very specific idea you had first…

3 Likes

Congrats! Damn, it’s beautiful!

1 Like

Excited to see where you end up in a month or so - I like the idea. I myself jumped into a lengthy hands-on session with the Rytm - hoping to confirm I don’t NEED it - but it backfired heavily and it ain’t going nowhere. There goes that slimming down idea for now.

1 Like

glad you found reason to get what you wanted in the first place … for awhile there i thought you might be overthinking this a bit, but seeing that synth covering nearly your entire workspace i can understand. good luck and will be curious to hear what transpires.

1 Like

The Sub 37 is a great sound processor too, fire a loop into the audio in and play with the filter and looping envelopes etc, great fun. Had mine since it came out and I still love it.

2 Likes

In a month or so, probably nothing. My third kid arrived just the other week, so there’s that, the little dude needs some time with his new dad (and his Moog, of course) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow. 3 is brave. Congratulations friend !

1 Like

Haha, is it? I’m going for twins next :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems you gave love to something other than your machines :wink:.

Happy times, congrats! (I’ll stick to two, I think)

1 Like

Ha! I’m not the only one? I do this once every couple of months as well.

1 Like

No use trying - I don’t have the power :slight_smile: