A workflow question on sound vs coherence

Depends what type of workflow you have - it seems to me that you might be a minimalist, like myself. I found getting into too many pieces of gear, and dabbling in a bit of east coast synthesis and patching using semi modular 0-coast, I was suddenly overwhelmed with options and it stunted my workflow. I’ve since started going back to a move simple approach and I’m back to making more music again.

I also like your simple clean workspace, don’t clutter it up with too many cables and boxes :wink: I’d love to have 1 - 2 machines max in a nice little space like that. Right now I actually use A4 mostly for my sound design for the simple reason that I like to pull it away from the other machines and work with it outside, or on the couch or in new places where I might be inspired. When I bring it back to my AR, and OT it is brimming with new pads, basses, leads, chords etc and all kinds of sketches for songs.

Sub37 sounds amazing and the non-menu diving sound design would be a treat. I can’t help wonder if you’d miss polyphony ? I’m not a keyboard player by nature, but I do live record all my stuff including drums using pads or a controller. I have been longing a bit lately for an analog poly, but I feel I’d want to shed a few more pieces of gear to once again simplify my setup … I’ve contemplated OB-6 + OT as the platinum duo hahaha If only Moog made a modern analog poly ?!!

Yeah, that’s the problem, as I’m sure you are aware. When you start opening it up, the options are limitless. I like the mental exercise of seeing just what will fit on a small desktop. I’m trying something similar in my studio. I like having a few different pieces for different moods. Something simple for when I’m tired, something complex/deep for when I’m energetic or have more time, etc. To keep everything in a tight space and tight budget, inevitable compromises creep in.

Actually I’m looking at buying a Yamaha Reface CS soon. Small, simple (enough), immediate, slider-per-function, great sound. I remember you had one, right? Why’d you get rid of that one? Seems to pack quite a punch for a small board. I think this demo has sold me:

2 Likes

Yep, I had one. This one’s all CS Reface and an Octatrack.

1 Like

To answer your question - no patch memory (the web solution don’t count) and no sequencer eventually put me off. I want to be able to sketch out stuff, even if it’s just monophonic.

But yeah, the CS has more character than a federal judge fired by Trump.

I’d miss polyphony. But I’d miss the Moog sound more. Hence, no Prophet 6.

How bout a SlimPhatty and a KeyStep?

2 Likes

Don’t discount an A4 and OT mated with an EIT-1 and treated as a single complex organism.

2 Likes

Analog keys for sure!

After about a week I sold my sub phatty.

Haven’t bothered trying a sub47, but I really like the good old moog voyager though, that’s my favourite moog of all time.

Also, there’s some amazing moog vstis now, pretty much spot on, which you can sample for days and install jams and chains into the ot.

The KeyStep is great and I’m looking forward to Arturia evolving the concept. But a key factor for me is the keys - since this is going to be my only instrument, I’m picky about those things. I actually think the keybed of the Analog Keys is way better than that on the Sub37, closer to the Prophet 6 actually, and the Arturia’s not bad, given the price tag.

But it’s not quite where I want it.

That paints a nice picture, for sure. But that’d lose the keys. And I need them keys. And I don’t want all them gear.

Honestly, if I went for the Sub37 or the Keys, I have a hard time seeing myself going “Oh no”, after that. It’ll be fine, either way. It’s more a matter of “Right, I took this road, not the other one. No looking back now.”

And that’s worth a thought or two, before I proceed.

1 Like

in the end, this is quite simple - I want a premium workstation in the 37-key format. Only the Analog Keys fits that description to the dot. It’s the emotional value of the Sub37 that keeps me in doubt.

I suppose you could learn to love an instrument. But should you have to?

Virus Ti Polar 1 and 2 are the best 37 key synths ever made, oh and the Nord G2 of course :grinning:

1 Like

Did you consider mfb Dom1? Very fun/all sweet-spot synth. 3 voice paraphonic/split etc. Midi control is minimal tho. Dunno if could get a cv to midi convertor for use with OT? Decent CV connections on the Dom1 (tho I still have only spent half hour messing with that…). I prefer the Dom1 keybed to my A4. Really nice to play. And it sounds amazing… Has a basic sequencer.

Also maybe an 8voice multi-timbral Parva? Seems like the OS is almost ironed out and seen some nice sounds in vids. Small footprint…

3 Likes

I’d go for the Polar in a heartbeat, if it had a seuqencer. I really am looking for the complete workstation package. I’ve considered options with the Polar, such as an iPad to go with it or a Pyramid or similar. But it would defeat the purpose. I don’t want my fingers to leave the instrument and go to another, when I write my music. I’ve been going through so much gear and tried so many options, I know this is true. The reason the Sub37 is still in the mix, beyond just the emotional value of it, is that in a way, it is a digest version of this experience, only very limited on the workstation part - as in it’s paraphonic with a 64-step sequencer.

But as sequencers go in analog gear, it’s quite capable. I can easily see myself knocking out loops, leads and basses in that sequencer and then record them and work with them in the Octatrack. But I’d have to accept the fact that when I hear the next layer in my head, that’d go fine with the one I’m just working on, I wouldn’t be able to work on the entire idea of the track until I’ve got it all recorded and into the Octatrack. I won’t like that. But I’m prepare to accept it, due to the deep emotional satisfaction of playing such a beatiful instrument as the Sub37.

However, as @dobermate points it, usually this is a form of deception. Eventually, the lack of functional value will make the emotional value just frustrating.

But - the Sub37 might just be close enough, due to its sequencer.

Let’s just say that I think it’s good enough that if the Sub37 had multiple tracks going, like the Keys / A4, then this wouldn’t even be a question, I would’ve bought it, missing nothing. It’s perfect in all ways but not being a multi-timbral instrument.

1 Like

Yep. I really like what MFB is doing. It’s just slightly too far off the track from what I’m looking for, though it’s cool in its own respect.

I applaud Parva for what they’re doing, but if I’m going boutique and with no keys (or attaching a keyboard to it), then I’d gone for the Deluge.

1 Like

Why not use OT as sequencer?

1 Like

It took me a whole year to start loving the A4.
Now that I really know what it’s capable of, that I am able to dial the sound I’m looking for, it’s a forever lasting honeymoon…

If it’s lacking knobs, for you, maybe get an additional controller if you really have to.
You could also use OT knobs as well…

I feel like as much as you clicked with sub37, a mono won’t be enough, from what you say…
Can’t you get e.g. a Sub37 + A4 or AK + Slim Phatty ?

1 Like

Absolutely not :slight_smile: that would defeat the entire purpose, I don’t want a lot of synths, even if I had the space or money, though I appreciate the feedback and suggestion.

2 = a lot ⇒ :joy:

But I get it.
Btw what’s the point of having a sequencer on Sub37 if there is one on OT ?
Can’t you play from OT, including CCs, and carve your loops from it ?

2 Likes

I have a voyager and AK. If I just want to write some simple basslines that start the warming up of my brain then the voyager is my go to.

If i have a Sunday off the AK is the joint. I could start track 1 and 2 with a kick snare/ clap. 96BPM. Track 3 could have two synth voices. Once I have the sketch I record into a live clip each track. Then I throw in my own drums later. I have a prophet 6 as well but the workflow of the AK + Ensoniq EPS combo is ridiculous. I know what to crush on the EPS and what to leave alone. I’m going to try to carry that knowledge in the MDUW world.

1 Like